Had to dust off the Ol trusty D300 today

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the past few months, many of you have seen my posts about how the AF system in the D300 is so much better than the D7100. After reading through many forums and various pm's it dawned on me that my D7100 is a lemon. Packed it up and sent it back for some warranty service. I found a few other posts about the same problem I have been having. The D300 just tracks everything so well. The D7100 I was getting like 1 out of 20 that was actually sharp, 9 borderline and the other 10 would miss focus by so much it was a blur. Many times my D7100 would have something as simple as a duck sitting in water locked on and then it would just decide to hunt back to MFD for no reason in bright light. The other night I played around with both cameras and the the 120-300 and the 150-500. with the D300 it would just lock on to anything I pointed the camera at. With the D7100 it would chatter and hunt for at least a sec. I can't believe it took me 5 months and 25-30K clicks to figure this out.. duh...

IIRC the D300 has the AF system in common with the D3 , the AF should be nothing less than superb. I do hope that sending the D7100 back to Nikon resolves the issues you have been having, but the AF system in the D7100 still will not be on par with the AF in the D300 will it? Based on what is known of the D300 since it is supposedly is just a crop sensor D3?

IIRC the D300 has the AF system in common with the D3 , the AF should be nothing less than superb. I do hope that sending the D7100 back to Nikon resolves the issues you have been having, but the AF system in the D7100 still will not be on par with the AF in the D300 will it? Based on what is known of the D300 since it is supposedly is just a crop sensor D3?
Supposedly the D7100 actually has an updated version of the D300 AF system with center point to F8 with supposedly improved algorithms. Most people I have talked to seem to agree with that... My particular D7100 wasn't remotely close, hopefully Nikon can fix it, because the sensor is awesome when it actually all comes together...

Supposedly the D7100 actually has an updated version of the D300 AF system with center point to F8 with supposedly improved algorithms. Most people I have talked to seem to agree with that... My particular D7100 wasn't remotely close, hopefully Nikon can fix it, because the sensor is awesome when it actually all comes together...

I just got my D7100, I haven't had any issues with the AF system, hopefully your camera gets sorted and you can start shooting with it again. It is a great camera.

Over the past few months, many of you have seen my posts about how the AF system in the D300 is so much better than the D7100. After reading through many forums and various pm's it dawned on me that my D7100 is a lemon. Packed it up and sent it back for some warranty service. I found a few other posts about the same problem I have been having. The D300 just tracks everything so well. The D7100 I was getting like 1 out of 20 that was actually sharp, 9 borderline and the other 10 would miss focus by so much it was a blur. Many times my D7100 would have something as simple as a duck sitting in water locked on and then it would just decide to hunt back to MFD for no reason in bright light. The other night I played around with both cameras and the the 120-300 and the 150-500. with the D300 it would just lock on to anything I pointed the camera at. With the D7100 it would chatter and hunt for at least a sec. I can't believe it took me 5 months and 25-30K clicks to figure this out.. duh...

Blasphemy!

You do realize you are bad mouthing the FLAGSHIP Nikon DX camera don’t you? The successor to the woefully inadequate, obsolete, and ancient D300s. Nikons best people have developed the D7100 to be the best there is, and they say so themselves. Could it be that you are making mistakes? Could it be the state of the art DX format camera is perhaps, umm, just too advanced for you? For you to say a seven year old auto focus system is better than current modern FLAGSHIP models makes me want to gouge my eyes out!!!

Lies! Lies! Lies! All Lies!!!!! :)

i was sitting here in the living room with mine last night. semi low light. pointed it in the direction of my kids. The box kept moving around the screen locking on to different things. moved the camera slightly. it locked on to one of my kids. then it moved again.
i figured it was me and i wasn't using it properly. But it didn't stay locked on and didn't lock on to what i was aiming at. Doing it manually, moving the box myself i got it to lock on. But that takes a couple seconds and is kind of annoying. it probably is me in my case. im still figuring it out.

or maybe the camera does suck....
i only have 300 clicks on it and im not used to it. to be determined as of yet.

oh. the iso is killer too. everyone keeps saying this is good in lowlight. i switched in into auto, iso jumps up to 6400. it wasn't dark. im sitting in the living room, light on, tv on. i thought that was pretty dismal. And sadly, then i noticed i had the iso set to a max of 6400. changed that. And auto brought it up to hi2. seriously???? i can take photos with my point and shoot in this light i have piles of evening pics in this house with a ps. Not to say it is better in low light than the 7100 it isn't. And i had the shutter speed in the normal range on the 7100.. But the 7100 isn't better enough to warrant the reputation. Least on that. you would think it would be ten times better than a point and shoot, not barely edging it out with a jacked up iso.

Last edited:
Bribrius maybe this video will help you out on the focus point squares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blasphemy!

You do realize you are bad mouthing the FLAGSHIP Nikon DX camera don’t you? The successor to the woefully inadequate, obsolete, and ancient D300s. Nikons best people have developed the D7100 to be the best there is, and they say so themselves. Could it be that you are making mistakes? Could it be the state of the art DX format camera is perhaps, umm, just too advanced for you? For you to say a seven year old auto focus system is better than current modern FLAGSHIP models makes me want to gouge my eyes out!!!

Lies! Lies! Lies! All Lies!!!!! :)
Damn you! You must have sent the Nikon Gremlins to me. My D300 AF system died today! Only 143K clicks too :( Tried 5 different lenses and AF is gone. Luckily I had borrowed my friends D600 so at least I have something until the D7100 comes back. I sure hope the AF system is fixed and works as well as it did on the D600 today. The D7100 should at least perform as well as the D600 I hope because today I didn't miss shots like I was with the D7100...

I had similar issues with my D800. Sent it in and the fixed it. It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. I still think my D300 is better, but at least the D800 isn't BAD like it was originally.

Damn you! You must have sent the Nikon Gremlins to me. My D300 AF system died today! Only 143K clicks too :( Tried 5 different lenses and AF is gone. Luckily I had borrowed my friends D600 so at least I have something until the D7100 comes back. I sure hope the AF system is fixed and works as well as it did on the D600 today. The D7100 should at least perform as well as the D600 I hope because today I didn't miss shots like I was with the D7100...

You gonna get it fixed? Or just buy a backup d300? KEH has them for so low that I always think about getting one to fool around with.

You gonna get it fixed? Or just buy a backup d300? KEH has them for so low that I always think about getting one to fool around with.

Oh I don't know, my head is spinning a little. After using the D7100, as much as I love the D300, the ISO performance is abysmal.. After using the D600 for a day and having AF actually work and track subjects I wonder if FF might work for me. I've always kind of wondered about the D3 and used prices are in line with the D600 and D700 now. I know I would be giving up resolution, but I would have my performance back. Of course I would have to cancel my preorder for the Tamron... decisions, decisions..

Oh I don't know, my head is spinning a little. After using the D7100, as much as I love the D300, the ISO performance is abysmal.. After using the D600 for a day and having AF actually work and track subjects I wonder if FF might work for me. I've always kind of wondered about the D3 and used prices are in line with the D600 and D700 now. I know I would be giving up resolution, but I would have my performance back. Of course I would have to cancel my preorder for the Tamron... decisions, decisions..

You aren't far from me. Maybe one day we can get together and you can try my d700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your window shopping, checkout the D3s.

If your window shopping, checkout the D3s.

I've seen a few D3 around 1600 with a warranty. The D3S is quite a bit higher to pick up that higher ISO performance. I don't know just re thinking things I guess...

i was sitting here in the living room with mine last night. semi low light. pointed it in the direction of my kids. The box kept moving around the screen locking on to different things. moved the camera slightly. it locked on to one of my kids. then it moved again.
i figured it was me and i wasn't using it properly. But it didn't stay locked on and didn't lock on to what i was aiming at. Doing it manually, moving the box myself i got it to lock on. But that takes a couple seconds and is kind of annoying. it probably is me in my case. im still figuring it out.

or maybe the camera does suck....
i only have 300 clicks on it and im not used to it. to be determined as of yet.

oh. the iso is killer too. everyone keeps saying this is good in lowlight. i switched in into auto, iso jumps up to 6400. it wasn't dark. im sitting in the living room, light on, tv on. i thought that was pretty dismal. And sadly, then i noticed i had the iso set to a max of 6400. changed that. And auto brought it up to hi2. seriously???? i can take photos with my point and shoot in this light i have piles of evening pics in this house with a ps. Not to say it is better in low light than the 7100 it isn't. And i had the shutter speed in the normal range on the 7100.. But the 7100 isn't better enough to warrant the reputation. Least on that. you would think it would be ten times better than a point and shoot, not barely edging it out with a jacked up iso.

As you said in another thread DSLR'S are overrated!! Better stick with the point and shoot !!!!!!

Most reactions

Back