Handheld photography?

Tkraz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pesfan.com
Ok so Im going to go out to the country from today for the weekend, so I figured id take some of my first shots with my camera.

Its a handheld and I dont plan on using a tripod stand, how will this effect the shots and is there any tips I should take heed of in going out for what is really my first attempt at taking quality phtographs :)

As long as there is enough light to allow you to keep the shutter speed up...it should be OK.

The rule of thumb is that the minimum shutter speed should be about the same number as the focal length of the lens. Got it? So if your lens is at 50mm, keep the shutter speed above that (1/60 sec.) etc.

If you are shooting outside, during the day, with a regular film speed...chances are that you won't have to worry about it.

The other issue is enlargement. If you plan on making a really large print, you might want a tripod. If you are just getting regular small prints...then you probably won't see the difference a tripod would make (with shutter speeds above the rule of thumb)

Did that make sense? It's a wee bit early in the morning here :?

I would bring a tripod anyway. They aren't that cumbersome really. I have a little backpack, and I fold mine up and throw it in there, and take it with me. You never know when you're going to see a nice shot, and the sun has ducked behind a cloud, and you are in the shade of a nice tree, and your meter is telling you 1/20 wide open. You'll be wanting that tripod then :)

Plus, you never know when you're going to take the best shot of your life, and want a poster of it :p

You can get a nice photography knapsack. My bag has room for two bodies, lens, filters etc, plus a pot on the outside for my tripod or two. Plus lunch and everything else you need or want. The bag cost about $160-180 Canadian. I would suggest something along those lines if you plan on doing alot of hiking and moving around with your stuff.

A little trick I heard about if you're travelling without a tripod; attach a string to a bolt that fits the tripod socket of your camera. When you take a picture let the string hang to the ground, step on it an pull up against the string. It's upposed to work, although I haven't tried it yet.

Walt said:
A little trick I heard about if you're travelling without a tripod; attach a string to a bolt that fits the tripod socket of your camera. When you take a picture let the string hang to the ground, step on it an pull up against the string. It's upposed to work, although I haven't tried it yet.

I've done it using a bungy cord, it actually works. A monopod would be more portable than a tripod, and will add some more stability. Also, you can get little clamp-pods that will hold the camera and clamp onto a tree branch or whatever. They are small like the mini tripods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back