Model Photography

JPPLAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to take pictures of models, full bodie poses, clothing, portraits etc. I do alot of landscapes, people walking about, nightshots but I want to do some pictures of models in a controlled environment. How do I get into this and find out if this is for me?

what i have done is just get a close friend of yours that trusts you to take a few roles of them....while you are playing around with lighting....that way you dont have to pay someone to pose for you while you are seeing if you like it or not......if you dont have lights play around with natural light.....its always the best anyway.....

"Hot Lights" or continuous tungsten light systems are the cheapest. You can get basic sets for under $200 on eBay. They don't look as good as flash strobes, but then you're talking $1000+ for a good set.

The cheapest, and many people think best, way to go is with a good set of reflectors and natural light. Mainly you'll want a gold and a white. You'll also want a black one if you're shooting much in open sun.

An open window is the best place to start, as the light is coming from one direction and is easily controlled. Play around with turning your model at various angles to the light, with or without your reflectors taking some of the shadow off the darker side of the face. The white reflector will diffuse the light evenly to take out harsh shadows, or the gold reflector will add a warm glow.

JPPLAY said:
Any suggestions for cheap lighting?

Cheap light? The sun. :0)

Tungsten lights would probably drain the power and give you a really expensive power bill for that month, just a thought. :0)

You could try to rent flash lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back