Hanging a show on a budget. Tips on how to save.

For me, with section frames, I found that a front/back mat combo and foam core behind that fit the frame's depth perfectly with just enough space for the springs.

That's another question I should have asked, how do you attach everything to the frame? I'm assuming that's what the "springs" you're talking about are?

You are absolutely correct, but I still have far too many requests for them to discontinue them. Probably sell 80 - 100 month for starter "shows". I always recommend stepping up to the Neilsen type frames, only a few do.

Also, you have to take into account that by galleries, I am including coffee shops and restaurants where the frames and in many cases the works are going to be damaged.

Wow, I must live in the elite photog world, lol. I can't imagine any of the galleries I've shown in accepting clip frames. And as far as unconventional places are concerned, I have shown in a few myself and one of my galleries does nothing but and I've never heard of a piece getting damaged during a show.

Not to say it doesn't happen but I am surprised. Although I would thing that a real frame (as opposed to a clip frame) would actually help avoid damage.

There are acid free foam boards, some are buffered and some are actually acid free. I have been using Elmers acid free for mounting.

I thought there was but wasn't sure enough to say it. See my previous post for how long since I last bought materials.

But are you saying you mount prints directly to the foam core boards? I guess if they're acid free, they're acid free. For me, with section frames, I found that a front/back mat combo and foam core behind that fit the frame's depth perfectly with just enough space for the springs.

I do both, for the economy minded I mount directly to acid free foam board using DryTac acid free adhesive (roll material), and for the higher end, hinged mat board, framers tape at the top and a mat blank behind just as you said.

You are absolutely correct, but I still have far too many requests for them to discontinue them. Probably sell 80 - 100 month for starter "shows". I always recommend stepping up to the Neilsen type frames, only a few do.

Also, you have to take into account that by galleries, I am including coffee shops and restaurants where the frames and in many cases the works are going to be damaged.

Wow, I must live in the elite photog world, lol. I can't imagine any of the galleries I've shown in accepting clip frames. And as far as unconventional places are concerned, I have shown in a few myself and one of my galleries does nothing but and I've never heard of a piece getting damaged during a show.

Not to say it doesn't happen but I am surprised. Although I would thing that a real frame (as opposed to a clip frame) would actually help avoid damage.

many exhibits and contests do not allow frames. only matting and protection, clip frames are still allowed. I have hung a few shows years back and have seen stuff get damaged on several occasions.............I mean stuff happens clip frames will always have their place

For me, with section frames, I found that a front/back mat combo and foam core behind that fit the frame's depth perfectly with just enough space for the springs.

That's another question I should have asked, how do you attach everything to the frame? I'm assuming that's what the "springs" you're talking about are?

Aluminum section frames have a build in groove. You put 3 sides together, slide in the glass, matted art and foam core, put on the fourth side and then the springs go between the foam core and the frame back pushing everything forward towards the glass, keeping everything neat and tight.

Now, I don't use those frames for my personal long term framing because it would be a pain to seal them and sealing a frame with paper is a good way to keep dust out.

I have buyers who have never changed the frames and they just take them apart once every few years (very rarely really) and clean everything and put it back together. Done.

In my house I prefer sealed frames because I have animals (dogs and birds) and those create more dust than you find in normal people's homes. :D

many exhibits and contests do not allow frames. only matting and protection, clip frames are still allowed. I have hung a few shows years back and have seen stuff get damaged on several occasions.............I mean stuff happens clip frames will always have their place

Ok, I can see using clip frames in this case as matting and protection probably would mean a plastic sleeve of some sort which would not help the art look its best.

But when it comes to damage, the galleries I work with have bought the piece if it gets damaged. Period.

Most reactions

Back