Harley Davidson Shoot - Maybe Not Safe @ Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree with you that hate crimes and discrimination are bad, fortunately none of that is going on here. That does make your comments seem a little unwarranted though, and theycompletely destroyed this thread.

So again, thanks for coming and looking and typing what you feel emotionally rather than just simply thinking i dont like this and clicking away. That would have been too damned easy i guess, and it was an easy out for you to start a fight about it.

Just remember you started it with your "now leave response" which was disrespecting my heritage then me. If you would have said "Oh I did not notice that, do you have any CC?" I would have gave CC. Like I already did. Your entire post was, like you say my was, unwarranted. But yours was also rude.

Well I did see it. I took the picture of it on purpose. I told you to leave because that's what you do when you don't like the subject.

Thanks. I honestly would have spent more time moving the bike around and **** if it hadnt been 100+ outside.

SERIOUSLY?
I looked at the pictures 3 times, only on the third time did I notice the gun!

I hope that is purely for defence and not offense...

The photos a fine, and there is nothing to judge the guy on tbh...
the only thing I seen was the gun. that could be offensive to non american cultures.

offensive content and racism are two completely different things.

Swastikas are not racist, It is a Facist statement, and It originated from india but was used by china, england etc... under different names but none the less was the same symbol and was adopted by Nazis.
I like the design of the swastika, but I do not support its modern meaning.
http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm do your research first

anyways to c&C

Personally, I really like the image, exposure seems spot on, good dynamic range, and the bike is beautiful

Last edited:
Being offended by things is kinda silly and a waste of time, and not really what a photography forum should be about, IMO.

You don't like the statement or what it implies? Fine. Say so. Getting all wound up over it is letting other people have waaaaaay too much control over you.

offensive content and racism are two completely different things.

Swastikas are not racist, It is a Facist statement, and It originated from india but was used by china, england etc... under different names but none the less was the same symbol and was adopted by Nazis.
I like the design of the swastika, but I do not support its modern meaning.
History of the Swastika do your research first

anyways to c&C

Personally, I really like the image, exposure seems spot on, good dynamic range, and the bike is beautiful

The historical significance and meaning are somewhat irrelevant...we all know exactly what people mean when they use the Swastika.

And to the OP, if you weren't already planning on leaving I'd say I hope you do. There's absolutely no reason to attack people on a personal level because of what they think of your photo content. That type of harshness is never warranted or required in a friendly public forum.

I like how i pointed out someone was being lame and counterproductive, and I'm the one who gets grilled.

Actually, you unjustly responded to a post. All they did was mention that there was a swastika in photo #5. You took the liberty to tell them that they're post was counterproductive and to leave. Coming from a pretty unbiased standpoint, I think you were being a dink.

And with that being said, none of your photo's do anything for me. I find biker culture of this nature to be ugly, and unflattering to people that ride motorcycles. Especially to commercialize it. It perpetuates a negative stigma for people that ride motorcycles. I also find Harley's to not be at all appealing.

I think you exposed your photographs properly, and that's about it. That's my honest opinion of your photos. I thought you were a pretty stand up dude until you reacted that way to Live Free.

Actually, you unjustly responded to a post. All they did was mention that there was a swastika in photo #5. You took the liberty to tell them that they're post was counterproductive and to leave. Coming from a pretty unbiased standpoint, I think you were being a dink.

And with that being said, none of your photo's do anything for me. I find biker culture of this nature to be ugly, and unflattering to people that ride motorcycles. Especially to commercialize it. It perpetuates a negative stigma for people that ride motorcycles. I also find Harley's to not be at all appealing.

I think you exposed your photographs properly, and that's about it. That's my honest opinion of your photos. I thought you were a pretty stand up dude until you reacted that way to Live Free.

I agree with everything in this post. I'm not a huge fan of Harleys mostly because they're overpriced for their performance, the average Harley rider knows next to nothing about bikes and how they operate, and the culture usually associated with them gives *all* riders a bad name...but the thing I find most unappealing is simply that there are people that *strive* for that type of appearance.

The man in the photos comes off as a poser to anyone that actually rides and handles firearms because he's not being truthful. No biker is going to be on his bike with gun in hand...because you need both hands to operate the bike. No biker is going to wear a 1% shirt without being in some kind of outlaw club because then he's purely wearing the shirt to show off. No biker is going to ride down the road flicking people off like that unless they're trying to prove something for no reason.

I've ridden motorcycles professionally, I'm an expert marksman both in the NRA and the United States Air Force, and I'm not fond of the "badass" nature of most riders that purely act that way to get attention.

The way these thoughts comment on your pictures is simply that you've recorded something cliche and slightly disjointed. Someone that's reading a biker magazine will know almost all of the things I just wrote and immediately be turned off by the pictures.

Ok, no more talk of the history of the swastica etc.. this is a photography forum, and i for one don't give a crap what anyone thinks of these issues... you have been warned.
Give feedback on the photos if you like, then carry on with your day. ;)

I would like to see more interesting angles, like a worm's eye view or something on at least one of the bike shots.

The riding photo with the middle fingers in the air is just classless, however, as you mentioned, some bikers have a different way of life than others. My father is an avid rider, from touring bikes all the way to crotch rockets and he would never do something like that while riding. He is one of the classiest guys you will ever meet. It's not a 'biker' way of life, it's just how that person chooses to express themselves for attention.

The license plate photo is crooked, if you line up the bumper sticker with the bottom edge of the photo, it's tilted. You may want to remove that pic though since license plate numbers shouldn't be posted on a public forum.

All in all, technically they are decent photos, but emotionally they don't evoke much. If you get a chance to shoot him again, try the different angles or something. And leave the license plate number out.

I think they need alot more midtone contrast. The exposures seem good in the way there there aren't many blown out spots, besides specular highlights. There is representation of true black and of highlight tones, but way to much of the images just seem to fall in the midtone realm, including things that should be shadows or highlights.

Also, the building is pretty cool, but it's sure a mess of a background. In #3, his hand is buried in that tree, and there is a light pole coming out of his head. In #4, the strong pattern of the rock wal makes the lines of the bike disappear. In #6, Same as number 4, plus the tree is messing with the outline of his head, the handle bar looks like a gun to his head, and the gun is his hand just looks really poserish.

It's a good start. Try to pay attention with the way the lines of your scene interact with the lines of you subject. And hopefully you won't be shooting at 11am this weekend. Pistols at dawn would be much better.

definately some great shots. The riding down the road shot is sick, but the background is rather distracting and/or boring.

Definately like the set of shots!

The last one would look a ton better if it were take at a low level, or right on the ground.

wow, i didnt even notice the gun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back