Has anyone ever been robbed or mugged while out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is you really need to know its coming. A slick guy could probably grab your cam and run before you have time to grab your gun. And you cannot shoot somene fleeing :(

Shooting a guy dead for stealing a camera. Only in America.

It's called deterrence. If a criminal thinks there is a good chance he will be killed for his efforts he would be far less likely to do it. If you were going to mug someone and had to choose between Montreal or Texas which would you choose?

My Opinion.

It would be asanine and immoral (and in the VAST majority of states a criminal act) to kill someone to protect your property. It's jsut stuff. Let it go.

I'm also of the mind that physical violence should be answered with violence.

If someone wants to dash past and steal my camera, it's my faust for not having it more securely fastened to me. If the take out a weapon, or threaten me personally, it is no longer just about my camera, is it?

Actually, I don't believe that's a fact. Rather as reference, Washington DC criminalized gun ownership for a time and the violent crime rate went up....up to the point of being the highest per capita in the country.

Then why is it that violent crime rates are highest in regions with the most gun ownership? Texas is a perfect example. Obviously there is a causal relationship, but also we've ad guns long enough that you'd think that there would be an effect.

I'm pro-gun, but the argument that guns make the streets safer isn't backed up with evidence.

Strange that I read article after article that states the exact opposite...

Shooting a guy dead for stealing a camera. Only in America.

It's called deterrence. If a criminal thinks there is a good chance he will be killed for his efforts he would be far less likely to do it. If you were going to mug someone and had to choose between Montreal or Texas which would you choose?

My Opinion.

It would be asanine and immoral (and in the VAST majority of states a criminal act) to kill someone to protect your property. It's jsut stuff. Let it go.

If someone wants to dash past and steal my camera, it's my faust for not having it more securely fastened to me. If the take out a weapon, or threaten me personally, it is no longer just about my camera, is it?

Granted, shooting somone in the back as they flee would be a bit excessive. If someone is standing in front of me demanding my property I will refuse. If they attempt to take it by force I will defend myself with all means at my disposal. Assuming I that I feel I can get to my weapon before they kill me. Otherwise I will hand my property over and hope they leave me be. It may be worth killing this scum over but not dying over myself.

Last edited:
Don't think i would carry a gun after the George Zimmerman case, if he gets convicted of murder it could open the flood gates

Don't think you would carry one before hand either, seeing as your country sees it necessary to disarm it's law abiding populace (and seeing your repeated, very vocal opionion on firearms). In your country a perpetrator of violent crime could just beat a victim to death with a pipe or their fists or lets face it, a gun.... and the "law abiding" citizen would have absolutely no recourse other than to hope the police show up before he dies or fight back with their bare hands, and hope they come out on top. Me? I like keeping things on a level playing field. I would prefer that 120lb woman has a gun to fight off a 250 rapist rather than her fists and a whistle. :er:

Actually in the UK most people see us being "disarmed" as you put it, as a good thing.

I think the general consensus is that people do not have the right to carry a gun with them on the street simply because you also do not have the right to use one against another human being on the street.

I also think that the majority are also content with the British Police being unarmed. They never have been armed and do pretty well without the use of guns.

If everyone was armed all hell could break loose. People could... I don't know, go to a school and shoot everyone.

Actually, I don't believe that's a fact. Rather as reference, Washington DC criminalized gun ownership for a time and the violent crime rate went up....up to the point of being the highest per capita in the country.

And did it go down again after it was de-criminalized?

From the statistics I remember vaguely, gun-ownership might give an individual a better chance to protect himself against criminals with guns, but it does not affect the crime rate itself in either direction.

Then why is it that violent crime rates are highest in regions with the most gun ownership?

A statement like this needs to be backed up with a reliable source, or dismissed as hearsay. (which it is.)

Violent crimes are higher in regions with a higher population. It's simple statistics.

Stradawhovious said:
My Opinion.

You should take more pride in your property.

One thing I really dislike about countries, states, cities, etc.. that outlaw gun ownership and the right to carry..... is that the criminals are going to ignore the law anyway, and only the criminals and the police will have guns!

Last edited:
I took a trip to Caracas last October and my sister decided to take her D3000 with her along with some sony point and shoot and that alone gave me goosebumps. One night we were heading back to our hotel and we stopped by a bakery that was open at about 11pm. My "smart" sister takes out her point and shoot and starts taking pictures of the food and this guy was nice enough to tell us he noticed we werent from around there and told us if we valued our things it would be smart to hide them. Luckily we never got mugged or pickpocketed although we got a little scared one night when some homeless guy started following us asking for change. Strategically placing yourself between the other people you are with, placing your camera under your arm, and making sure you keep an eye on any suspicious guys can save your stuff. One thing I did was I made sure to make eye contact with any hoodlums that look like they want your stuff. It lets them know your aware of them.

The way I see it, I worked damn hard for my stuff and Im not about to let some scum with no worth just run off with my expensive belongings. A few years ago my $600 bike got stolen that my father worked 2 jobs to buy and even had to put it on lay-away to buy it. I was heading home and saw some kid with it and I knew it was mine because of some markings. I got home and it was gone. Looking back I really wish I wouldve gotten out of the car and released some anger on his face. Everytime I think of the image I have of that low life walking away with my bike my heart races and my palms get sweaty......(think little puppys, think little puppys, think little puppys)....Ok im back

Then why is it that violent crime rates are highest in regions with the most gun ownership?

A statement like this needs to be backed up with a reliable source, or dismissed as hearsay. (which it is.)

Higher rates of gun ownership correlate with higher homicide rates

Violent crimes are higher in regions with a higher population. It's simple statistics.

That's why there is per capita. Those statisticians are tricky!

Last edited:
I'm always worried about getting mugged or harrassed and it usually holds me back from shots. Like I'd love to get lots of city shots of people but I don't like the feeling that people will be thinking about me taking photos of them.

Stradawhovious said:
My Opinion.It would be asanine and immoral (and in the VAST majority of states a criminal act) to kill someone to protect your property. It's jsut stuff. Let it go.I'm also of the mind that physical violence should be answered with violence.If someone wants to dash past and steal my camera, it's my faust for not having it more securely fastened to me. If the take out a weapon, or threaten me personally, it is no longer just about my camera, is it?
If you could live with yourself for gunning down some scumbag for just stealing your camera, and posing no threat of bodily harm then I pity you.

Stradawhovious said:
My Opinion.

Frankly, someone who is willing to shoot someone else to protect their camera is as dangerous as someone who would shoot to take it.

I'm always worried about getting mugged or harrassed and it usually holds me back from shots. Like I'd love to get lots of city shots of people but I don't like the feeling that people will be thinking about me taking photos of them.

You know. I used to feel that way also. But eventually I just realized that the paranoia is just holding me back, and the paranoia is mine. While there is a real risk of being attacked, it's a small risk in comparison to what you miss out on.

Higher rates of gun ownership correlate with higher homicide rates

That's why there is per capita. Those statisticians are tricky!

Stats fro a study done at Harvard? :lmao:

I said RELIABLE source. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back