Has anyone used this service?

MartinCrabtree

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon CPU lens

I am interested because I'm not all that enamored with AF. Not to mention some great glass is available at more than reasonable prices. So anyone have experiences good or bad?

No first-hand experience other than I contacted them about chipping my 500mm. They responded quickly and gave me a couple options.

Just waiting for the funds to be available.

Seems like the $$ would be better spent towards a body that supports non-cpu lenses.

I definitely wouldn't want any company cutting away at my expensive primes.

I read some of the site's promo materials...sounds pretty good, really. Adding CPU's to manual focusing Nikkors has been going on for quite a while, on a small scale. I have only one "oldie" that has been upgraded with a CPU, my 400/3.5 ED-IF, which was one of the first few made in 1982. I bought it already "chipped", and it functions a lot like an AF lens. No need to set up a non-CPU lens profile, automatic EXIF reporting, hooks right into the meter,etc..

I DID like this guy's option of the "pro" CPU option, which allows the classic method of lens-based aperture adjustment, as well as the new control wheel-based system. I thought that was a nice idea, and something that old-school Nikon shooters who have been using various manual focusing lenses might really like to migrate forward to their pro Nikon AF bodies.

I cannot vouch for this fellow's workmanship or materials, but it's not all "that" complicated to install CPU chips in most lenses, from what I've read over the years. Bjorn Rorslett was doing this same thing a few years back on a small scale (and maybe still is, I don't know).

My research started here and I just ended up there. Granted I've not been at this pointy end of photography for very long and the habits of a lifetime are not changing to match the new camera. I wish to combine what I like about digital (awesome metering) with older habits and successes. I'll be doing both soon and post up a few results.

Thanks.

My research started here and I just ended up there. Granted I've not been at this pointy end of photography for very long and the habits of a lifetime are not changing to match the new camera. I wish to combine what I like about digital (awesome metering) with older habits and successes. I'll be doing both soon and post up a few results.

Thanks.

I put a KatzEye in my D7000 a year ago and have never regretted it. Works great with non-af lenses, doing mf macros, etc.

This sounds pretty cool. Would attract a lot of photographers to take a second look at older lenses.

Well the 50-135 f3.5 arrived last week. It'll be going out for a chip and CLA soon.

In the technical board (closed to non-members) at Nikongear there are extensive discussions of chipping lenses and step by step how-to's.
TBH, after reading all the how-to's I don't have the nerve to do it myself, even though the chips are available.

If you know Bjorn Rorslett, NRFOTO Bjrn Rrslett, a Norwegian nature photographer who does all his own chipping,you could send him an email and ask his opinion.
You could use my name as a reference but that may actually lower your chances of getting a polite reply.

Got the lens back. The zoom was so loose it just fell when the camera was pointed down so I had them do a CLA while they had it. A felt ring inside the lens was worn out so they replaced it while they were there. Like a brand new lens. I haven't had the time to shoot yet but mounted to the F5 and D90,just like any other CPU lens. Took a quick shot of it while I was here.

So to sum it up I'm very happy with the service and company overall.

_DSC0488_zps948672be.jpg

Well it's been some time since I got the lens back. Life interfered but I took it out and shot a few just to see how sharp this thing is. See for yourself. Shots of the proverbial brick wall.

D3100/1/40@f4,meant to shoot wide open (3.5) but must have hit the dial with my thumb or sumptin'.

Full size.
$DSC_0598.JPG
100% lower left corner.
$DSC_0598-100%.jpg

I was told this lens was sharp but dayum. This is going to be a fun one. Looking forward to this summer in the mountains.

Most reactions

Back