Hasselblad 503cw w/ CFV-39 Digital Back

While I am excited to use this camera, I'm kind of bummed that I wont be continuing studio work with my own gear.

I'm not beating you or your gear up, but after a class or two using a great body and the lighting you'll not want to tote yours to class.

I guess that can fit into me asking, why not allow both?

Yeah thats a good point.

I was allowed to. My D7000 in class didn't work well. We had a standard size studio and with a 85mm portrait lens it wouldn't work as well as the "class FF" which I hate to say was a Canon LoL. For full and half body shots mine got the edge of the back board easier, etc.

Then I had to back up further from the model than the full frame camera, and it was noted I couldn't expect the same depth of field at the same 85mm and same fstop as a result.

Needless to say, we didn't use mine after that class. I don't have that body any more either.

As far as lighting? I tapped the piggy bank and got the same Elinchrom and Profoto as my instructor. And I used to love my Vivitars!

There is one more studio class I may take even though I took basic and advanced. Its named "Portrait Studio", and at that studio a digital backed Hasselbald is used. I don't know which model #.

But I won't ask to use my D700 anyway =)

While I am excited to use this camera, I'm kind of bummed that I wont be continuing studio work with my own gear.

I'm not beating you or your gear up, but after a class or two using a great body and the lighting you'll not want to tote yours to class.

Will you not be allowed lab time with the studio equipment?

Your own time would be the time to use your own camera and work on personal projects.

BTW: y'all relax, summer has a ways to go yet and a collar rash in summer isn't a pleasant thing. ;)

Your own time would be the time to use your own camera and work on personal projects.

BTW: y'all relax, summer has a ways to go yet and a collar rash in summer isn't a pleasant thing. ;)

Of course. However, things like models, or instruction will not be available during lab time.
Also, personal projects are not allowed thanks to a former student who brought his work in with him to the studio and got caught.

Of course. However, things like models, or instruction will not be available during lab time.
Also, personal projects are not allowed thanks to a former student who brought his work in with him to the studio and got caught.

Bummer. Have I ever introduced you to a pure white terry-cloth towel?

No? Get one and bunch it up into a loose ball and put it on a stool. It's great for seeing how different ratios will look, checking for blocked shadows and blown highlights. I often take one on a shoot to check my lights without having to blind my subjects, or even have them there if I'm setting up ahead of time on location. It is also useful in setting a white balance which can be a very good thing.

I LOVE how newbies with a year's worth of experience know how totally,totally awesome the D7000 is--especially when it's paired with yellow-cast-inducing Sigma zooms and a pair of DX kit zooms!

Sooooooo much better than digital Hassy experience!

Hilarious chit! And the ironic part is--this post was made in the "Photography Equipment & Products" category. The home of Nikon D7000 worship! A newbie, lecturing ME on photographic equipment. I love it!

I LOVE how newbies with a year's worth of experience know how totally,totally awesome the D7000 is--especially when it's paired with yellow-cast-inducing Sigma zooms and a pair of DX kit zooms!

Sooooooo much better than digital Hassy experience!

Hilarious chit! And the ironic part is--this post was made in the "Photographic Equipment and Products" category. The home of Nikon D7000 worship! A newbie, lecturing ME on photographic equipment. I love it!

Yeah... I think he's lost it folks.

Where am I lecturing you about equipment?
Where do I "worship" the D7000?
Where is any of this nonsense you are whining about?

I'm kinda lost on the point of this post. It sounds like the class you are going to take has an emphasis on studio photography. If you want to be a photo journalist when you graduate then who cares what camera you use in class, you won't be shooting like that at a press conference or news event. If you want to be a commercial photographer like taking the photographs for the cover of Vogue or Sony's new technology then you have to know how to use professional equipment. You won't be using a D7000 on that career path either. If you want to be a retail photographer like portraits/weddings/etc... then you will get a job at a studio and use their equipment and when you have enough experience and money you have the option of going into business for yourself. Again, no use for that D7000. So why are you so hooked on using your D7000? You won't be using it for professional work after graduation.

Can we shut this down now? Way too much emotion for a light Saturday morning read...

I'm kinda lost on the point of this post. It sounds like the class you are going to take has an emphasis on studio photography. If you want to be a photo journalist when you graduate then who cares what camera you use in class, you won't be shooting like that at a press conference or news event. If you want to be a commercial photographer like taking the photographs for the cover of Vogue or Sony's new technology then you have to know how to use professional equipment. You won't be using a D7000 on that career path either. If you want to be a retail photographer like portraits/weddings/etc... then you will get a job at a studio and use their equipment and when you have enough experience and money you have the option of going into business for yourself. Again, no use for that D7000. So why are you so hooked on using your D7000? You won't be using it for professional work after graduation.

Here's where I'm lost; why is it such a concern of everyone's about me wanting to use my own gear, when I won't be? I made a small statement about being bummed about not using my own gear on top of using the schools gear.
Is this blasphemy? Is this a statement that really doesn't sit well with anyone? And why is there an emphasis on the D7000? If I had a D800 or a D4, would that allow you guys to validate the fact that I'd like to use my equipment as well as use the hasselblad?

Is it a possibility that everyone doesn't read so deeply into something so unimportant? Hey guys, I'd like to keep using the equipment that I spent a few grand on for this program. I didn't say it to run it by you guys to give me the go ahead. I don't need your approval. It was small talk.

Ballistics said:
..... Do you expect a course that teaches just YOU how to use YOUR little Nikon D7000? Or do you expect an education in "photography". DOAH! RTFM if you want to be taught how to use your camera.

One of the biggest problems I have with newbies who accuse me of "preaching" is that the comments come from snotty-mouth newbies who do not have ANY real experience at anything other than buying a brand-new d-slr, a computer, and some software, and cranking out utter crap, without even a hint of a whiff of a clue about what "photography" as an art, as a science, or as a profession or field, is all about. The idea that your "portfolio" must in ANY WAY be associated with the little Nikon D7000 that you currently have as your first d-slr is ludicrous. The fact that you STILL THINK YOU KNOW enough to even begin to second-guess you instructors reveals to me what a cocky frame of mind you are possessed of. You don't even KNOW what it is you don't know. Your lack of reading comprehension and your utter lack of respect for those with vastly more knowledge and skill than you is sad......

I completely agree, learning is not a matter of skills or material, it is a matter of attitude. I teach photography and organize workshops as well as being primarily a photographer. The approach for amateur is the one he has, What can I do with the gear I have? this is fair when it is jut a hobby.... but if someone goes to spend a year learning photography, I think the approach is completely different.... what knowledge, attitude, skills, AND GEAR will make me money.... You can make money with a D7000 and with a D3000 but what they are offering you is to play in a different league. When you end up your semester.... your question should not be about relearning everything with a D7000 but how to make money as fast as possible to buy the gear you used when learning how to play in first league.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back