Have you ever considered to leave TPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is what you have the energy to make of it though.
True! Thanks for reminding me of how stuff works :)
All forums suffer the same issues, so leaving just brings you to more of the same - eventually.

I would prefer a forum that allows people to rip the **** out of crap photos - the wild west so to speak.
Just being total *******s - but with humor. I like to make people cry.
Reminds me of my childhood.
You get what you pay for. ;)

Stick around and make it better. When you get banned, you know you've been effective.

Now shut up and shoot.

Hey, where were you all this time!!? except for the crying part, I think I like you ;)

It's like tennis. Everyone wants to play with someone better than they are because it's the only way to get better.
Think about the logic there. How is that possible?
That's why we have "tennis pros" that get paid to suffer with crappy players.
I'd pick Djokovic over Kournikova any time... just saying...

I think of leaving daily. I have for like 5-6 years.

I spend too much time here that I should be working on other things... mostly my writing.

There is negativity here (but in all forums, really) that often gets under my skin and makes it hard for me to think and function as a rational human being. (translation: wasting MORE time)

And, I feel that I have reached a point where very few people here can offer me much in the way of suggestions to improve what I do. It's a natural thing and not intended as snotty. It's like sliest's tennis comment earlier. After a while, you need a better partner.

In the end, I stay because I like to help, and because I do grow pretty attached to the odd e-relationships I have with some people. mmaria, you are one of those. So if you leave... it may be the tipping point for me and I'll finally bail... :)

...Neither of those had the casual, joking kind of banter that is here on TPF. I'm not completely serious about a lot of things in life, so I think TPF fits me better.
yeah, I'm glad you mentioned this

what kept you here?
A few people I respect, some excellent photography, and the knowledge I gain.
clean and clear

What keeps me here is the ball and chain the admin attach to our legs when we sign up as mods. ;)
I knew it's difficult for you guys, but I didn't realize how much it really is...

As in teal life most people are ok. Then there are the others who may be just that bit over the top, especially as there real identity is often not known. I now know not to get to offended or waste to much time with posters who are rude or excessively argumentative. This can be something applied to people off the internet also.
agree

For Leonore and Sharon, thank you! you wrote what I think also

In the end, I stay because I like to help, and because I do grow pretty attached to the odd e-relationships I have with some people. mmaria, you are one of those. So if you leave... it may be the tipping point for me and I'll finally bail... :)
I though about saying something funny here but this was just too sweet for me and I just...

HP5203.gif

No person is an island. Humans are, by nature, social creatures, and we construct (or try to) the relationships that are fulfilling and rewarding to us. We also have flaws, which reveal themselves during our interactions with others: insecurity, jealousy, narcissism, aggression, etc. In the real world these tend to be masked, as the consequences to bad behaviour come pretty quickly, but in the on-line world, it is quite possible to hide behind the relatively limited nature of the interaction of the written word. Hence the appearance of trolls on on-line forums.

On the other hand, there are many genuinely generous individuals who want to help and share, and do so, even in the limited confines of the forum format. Enough of these people aggregate, and you have a pretty interesting community. In practice, most of the forum interactions are social, with an underlying base of the technical (specific to the forum). The technical is the meat, but social is the flavouring and condiments.

I stay in this forum because I find some of the photography inspiring, and the people who create those works, approachable. I have limited amount of time available, and when I come to the forum, it is usually to relax and chill out, so I don't spend a lot of time obsessing about this or that. There are some individuals who I would regard as friends, and others who I am happy to leave as acquaintances. So far, the engagement/irritation ratio has been much higher on the engagement side... So I stay.

Hey, where were you all this time!!? except for the crying part, I think I like you ;)

My life leaves me too little time for photography - let alone talking about photography.
I show up in bunches, poke a couple rabid dogs with a stick, and then run for cover.

Oh, and the crying part was a joke [sniff]. ;)

I actually enjoy internet fights and find them a great source of entertainment. I would make a terrible moderator - or good one ...
Of course, that is largely because I'm (usually) smart enough to not be one of the participants. :)
I must admit to instigating things on occasion though (where's that stick ...)

Leave?! Yeah, I've thought about it and done it. Unfortunately, this place is a little like crack! It keeps callin me, man! hehe
I stay because this is no longer just a photography forum for me. I've become attached to many of the members and look forward to the kidding around/interaction. It is always sad when you see someone move on but that's part of forum life. Some good people have left and I miss them greatly. Bitter, I'm talking to you!! ;)

When I first signed up I thought you all were First Class @$$ holes....not to me because I hadn't posted, but to each other. And sometimes we still are. But I believe that the lack of sugar coating that happens here is really one of the best ways to improve our photography. If I need a pat on the back, I visit another forum where no one says anything mean. If I need serious critique then I come here. I'm on here almost daily and only on the other forum once in awhile.

There are a few people here who I really respect their opinion and that's why I stay...I like my e-friends.

My response may come off as a little selfish, especially after getting the camera, but I do think of leaving all the time. I'm preparing for CAT (Indian equivalent of GMAT), and this hobby of mine is really really hurting my chances. In fact I've tried to leave photography till the exams, but unfortunately I'm too much of an addict to leave either. Many of my friends ask me to just leave the exam stuff and go into full time photography :lol:, but they don't have any clue what they're talking about. I've also tried to ration my time here, but it just doesn't work. There's always that reply I have to check or that photo I have to share at TPF, I blame you guys for being so nice to me!

When I think of it logically, the reason I stayed on TPF is not because of this hobby of mine but rather for the people I've had the privilege to know at this forum. Initially I may have joined this place to learn about photography, but now I come here mostly to check out what you guys are up to. Come to think of it, these days I speak to less people face to face than I do on TPF. I'm totally addicted! Now if you will excuse me, I've got a new thread to create in the Natures section :p

It is a strength and a flaw of internet forums and the like that they tend to drift toward being a social group.

This is good because it generates camaraderie and can make things pleasant, but also be a negative. Newcomers can feel excluded, and it encourages topic drift. It happens that I do not spend time here because I have made friends here, I have not.

TPF is actually pretty good at mingling the social stuff', the in jokes and banter, with actually talking about photography. Not perfect, but a lot better than it could be.

Leaving? I don't really consider myself here.

I spend too much time here that I should be working on other things... mostly my writing.

There is negativity here (but in all forums, really) that often gets under my skin and makes it hard for me to think and function as a rational human being. (translation: wasting MORE time)

And, I feel that I have reached a point where very few people here can offer me much in the way of suggestions to improve what I do. It's a natural thing and not intended as snotty. It's like sliest's tennis comment earlier. After a while, you need a better partner.

2005? you aren't going anywhere. Those like me, flash in the pan,new, high post counts, are the temps. Those like you, long long history. no way. You are a lifer!!

^^ possibly, and sadly, true.

Once or twice at the start I thought some were rude and smart ass, and they were, but I was new asking questions that a lot of newbies who don't use the search button ask.

I stayed as I learned stuff. Here also kind of gave me an insight into internet forums and the way people act. As in teal life most people are ok. Then there are the others who may be just that bit over the top, especially as there real identity is often not known. I now know not to get to offended or waste to much time with posters who are rude or excessively argumentative. This can be something applied to people off the internet also.

Ok, here is the important question.................Did you learn to use the SEARCH FUNCTION???:mrgreen:

Well just pin this next to your computer, when you are stressed look at it and nibble on a carrot. All will be good.
$tumblr_n1dgtm94eC1src2fho1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back