Have you ever considered to leave TPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always.

It is what you have the energy to make of it though.
All forums suffer the same issues, so leaving just brings you to more of the same - eventually.

I would prefer a forum that allows people to rip the **** out of crap photos - the wild west so to speak.
Just being total *******s - but with humor. I like to make people cry.
Reminds me of my childhood.

It's like tennis. Everyone wants to play with someone better than they are because it's the only way to get better.
Think about the logic there. How is that possible?
That's why we have "tennis pros" that get paid to suffer with crappy players.

You get what you pay for. ;)

I'm actually at the point where I feel like even looking at other people's work is pulling me off course.
But that's another self indulgent diatribe this place could do without.

Stick around and make it better. When you get banned, you know you've been effective.

Now shut up and shoot.

It's an online forum.
There is no requirement that you have to come to the forum every day, or post anything each week.
If you aren't getting anything in return from being on a forum just take a break. A week, a month, a year ...

It doesn't matter if it's this forum or another forum of any type, or a local photography club (or any other type of club).

Of course, mish may hunt you down and drag you back ...

I checked out a few when I joined. This by far seems the largest/most active that I saw. I haven't really considered leaving. But if I did, it would probably be because of that robbins guy with the gorillas. He just gives me the willies.

Can't say as I blame you, that dude is creepy alright.. lol

I think about leaving on a fairly regular basis. But for me, this place really IS like the Hotel California; I can check out anytime I want, but I can NEVER leave. :lol:

WHY do I think about leaving sometimes? For a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:
1. Often it's just that need to curtail my addictive tendency to be online ALL the time.
2. Sometimes, I just get tired of what seems like endless threads on the same subject, same conversations, some arguments, same drama, same, same, same. Same song, different verse, and I just get tired of what can sometimes seem like an endless loop of sameness.
3. Once in a while, it's because someone I'd really formed a bond with leaves, and diminishes my enjoyment of TPF just a little.
4. Every GREAT once in a while, it's also because someone just annoys the stuffing out of me to where I'd rather just not be on TPF than to have to read their comments.

In the end, for me, the reasons to stick around FAR outweigh any reasons to leave. Sometimes, I just need to take a break--a day or two is usually sufficient. By the time I've been gone for two days, I'm usually anxious to get back on and see what's going on with some of my favorite folks here.

I left for a couple years. Back around 2009, it seemed like the only pics that got comments were really really over processed garbage.

I agree with a lot of things Sharon said: sometimes I just want a break, not necessarily from TPF, but from the internet in general. Sometimes it all just gets old or annoying.

But so far, I haven't thought of leaving permanently. The positives outweigh the negatives:
--I enjoy the community here.
--Like Designer, I don't like everything to be so serious all the time, so I like the levity provided by Off Topic threads or the joking camaraderie that many members have with each other.
--Seeing others' work can be inspiring and helps me solidify my ideas about own work
--I'm still learning a lot
--I've developed some relationships here that I would like to maintain

At the moment, this community serves a purpose in my life, and so I happily stay. If it ever outlives its usefulness to me, maybe I'll leave, but in the meantime, I'm fine just taking breaks once in a while. And there's also my new-found love of the Ignore list ;)

I've only been here a year - that's not long enough to get sick of it yet ;)

I figure if I ever decide to leave I will just change my avatar to...............................................

MEM37114_SNAKE_TONGUE_EVIL_CLOWN_MASK.jpg

I figure that terri would take care of me not coming back.

Feels like I've left because I haven't had the time to be on here lately. But I feel like being here has helped with my photography, so I'll be back...

Once or twice at the start I thought some were rude and smart ass, and they were, but I was new asking questions that a lot of newbies who don't use the search button ask.

I stayed as I learned stuff. Here also kind of gave me an insight into internet forums and the way people act. As in teal life most people are ok. Then there are the others who may be just that bit over the top, especially as there real identity is often not known. I now know not to get to offended or waste to much time with posters who are rude or excessively argumentative. This can be something applied to people off the internet also.

I just came back more regularly from a few month hiatus. I left because I could.

I met up with Derrel in person a few weeks back. We went on a day of shooting and had a great time. Which sort of restored my faith in the online forum. Realizing that most of you, are people just like me. I have been reading and studying the books vs the forums, which has also been a substantial contribution to my absence.

I think I may just be at a different point with my photography at the moment. Trying new things etc.

It's nice to unplug for awhile and try new and different avenues.

TPF is a nice little escape from FB, and feel like I'm heading to a pub where everyone knows your name ;).

I believe if TPF was a real place, I think there would be a lot less misunderstandings between one another(pints and bacon a must!).

I've been here for a minute and saddened to see good people leave. I hope in the future I will get a chance to meet a few people in real life, first pint on me lol.

I've spent a lot of time and energy here. My disillusionment seems to prevail lately. I guess you can say I'm already gone.]

I think this is the most interesting response.
What are you disillusioned about?
I'm also interested to hear more, if you are in a mood to tell us more

I met up with Derrel in person a few weeks back.
You met Derrel! What is he like? ;)

I've been here for a minute and saddened to see good people leave. I hope in the future I will get a chance to meet a few people in real life, first pint on me lol.
I would also like to meet in person a few people from here... who knows, I maybe will one day..

Leave?! Why would you leave?! Please don't leave! I'll be your best friend! Lol
promise? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back