have you ever considered...

I do not have any intentions to initiate a debate on God and Darwin here. Will just share about how I view this issue. I’m not sure if I’m good with explaining and neither do I have the ample time for a well-thought out essay. Here is the nutshell.

I was born to a semi-conservative Christian family. Was reared up in a "spiritual" environment. Life without Sunday Schools was a taboo. Skipping church on a Sunday was unimaginable. Like a good normal human being, the tendency to "break the chains" rose in me. While I was in 7 or 8th grade, I was drawn to atheism. I had no particular solid reason to believe that there is no God. But I simply chose to believe it. Well, what is the point in breaking chains??:). And I was happy to be 'above' everything and everyone. While my peers were playing cricket, I was eating books on atheism, Das Capital and similar titles.

BUT, none of this ‘knowledge’ gave me the true inner peace and happiness that I craved for. The term 'hope' was not in my dictionary. Hope is one powerful feeling or phenomenon, if I may. No matter what you have if there is no hope in life, life would seem absolutely pointless. And I wanted it to cling on.

Fast Forward:
I’m a firm believer of Jesus now. He gives me hope and the strength to sustain no matter what I go through in my life. Till the time that I ‘came back’ I used to figure things out on my own. But later, realized that if I literally ‘leave everything to God’; He will definitely help you at His appropriate time. I have learnt that there is absolutely NO place for human intellect when it comes to dealing with God. I have become a simpleton to believe that God is the creator of everything that we see, know and don’t know yet. If He could create umpteen number of galaxies (we still don’t have an exact count), if He could create billions of ultra complex machines called human beings, if He could create a border for the waters, if He could feed the foul and foxes, if He could teach an eagle how to teach its kids how to fly, if He could place the solar system the way we see it, I definitely do not think His hands would be tied up when it comes to helping a tiniest little speck called human. So all I have to do is submit myself to Him, without an inch of reasoning. If there is intellect trying to figure things out, God cannot help us just because we are not letting Him do the work for us. I have gone through a handful of lows in my life and God was the one who delivered me at the appropriate time. And I couldn’t thank Him more for the light that He gave me.

So for me, a suicide would be pointless. I worship the creator of everything that we see. It would be a disgrace for Him if I let myself go down the drain without letting Him solve my issues (no matter how huge it might be or how hopeless it might seem). Trust me, there is NOTHING that He cannot do. It is us (almighty and intellectuals) who limit Him.

When I said this forum went off topic easilly, I was only addressing Nagala's statement when he said "I don't know what has to do with this topic, bu..." I wasn't yelling at anyone or anything...merely stating fact. This forum DOES get off topic easily! :) Anyway...your points are taken, back to the discussion! :)

Oh Danalec... I see you are very spiritual person... There aren't many people who belive as strongly as you do. I really apreciated your post. It is very powerful.

mentos_007 said:
Oh Danalec... I see you are very spiritual person... There aren't many people who belive as strongly as you do. I really apreciated your post. It is very powerful.

No Mentos, the word 'spiritual' has a very deep meaning. I'm just a normal person like anyone else. But the realization of His power has enabled me to look at things from a fresh perspective.

Darfion said:
Suicide is against the law in our country. Seriously it is.

So what's the penalty for suicide....death?

I've never once considered suicide, but I have a friend who has been threatening it for 10 years, and finally one night he gave it a go. He tried to overdose on heroin. Somehow he survived. He still talks about it though. I just can't understand.

I think it was Pilgrim who said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I think I'm going to tell that to my friend, because that is the simplest way to put it. I'm sure he'll have some smartass nihilistic retort though. It's really frustrating.

do you have to be 'depressed' to consider suicide?
I mean' if you are 'depressed' you're not thinking along the normal thought processes and you can be 'fixed' by either drugs or rewiring your thought processes so they go back to normal (ie. talking through things/finding 'solutions' so you're not depressed)

BUT

what if you are NOT depressed and you are considering suicide?

Why do people assume you have to be depressed and not thinking straight to consider somthing like that?

Hi All and darfion
First correction to darfion its not a crime to commit suicide, but only to aid and abet a suicide.
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ursa/philos/thanasia.htm
It is hard to understand why people commit suicide. many are just cries for help. but many are long drawn out states of depresions. people listen to them but many are to busy living there own lives to really understand.
Having experinced it first hand by my brother, 4 years later its still hard to get a gripe with.
I suggest you listen to the word from the theme song to M.A.S.H there is a lot of truth in the song.
Many people have there reasons and no one will ever understand. to many its the road to peace. And the heartache of those left behind

suicide is painless. yep. wondered if anyone would allude to that.

dave k said:
Hi All and darfion
First correction to darfion its not a crime to commit suicide, but only to aid and abet a suicide.
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ursa/philos/thanasia.htm
I suggest you listen to the word from the theme song to M.A.S.H there is a lot of truth in the song.
Many people have there reasons and no one will ever understand.

Dear people of this board. If you ever have the misfortune to hear Dave K sing (sic) this particular song you will definately have suicidal feelings. I often have murderous feeling when in the same room as him when singing(sic)

Oh and Dave, what is the second correction to Darfion?

hey daz
just remember"Through early morning for I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realise that I can see

That suicide is painless
It brings so many changes
And I can take or leave them if I please

The game of life is hard to play
I’m gonna lose it anyway
The losing card of some delay
So this is all I have to say