Having a problem focusing

N E Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nathanewilliams.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I finally got some new gear for my camera since I bought my Nikon D3000 with the kit lens. I bought a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens and a Nikon SB-600 and I have now attached my Raynox 250 to that but I'm having problems and I'm getting frustrated. Before when I would take a picture it would beep and focus for me, now it does not and I'm having problems focusing with my new macro lens, any idea how to focus better or any help at all would be great,

Nathan

If you are planning to use the lens for macro shots, manual focus is better in some situation.

When I use my macro lens to take a photo of an insect, I just use manual focus. Set the lens to 1:1 ratio. Move my camera back and fro to nail the focus.

Last edited:
Ahh the Nikon AFthingy yes if I'm right only a sigma lens with an HSM setup (ie a built in focusing motor) will work if that is the case with your Nikon. That pretty much limits you to the 150mm and (discontinued) 180mm macro lenses.

You can of course do macro work in manual focus (and its what I and a majority of macro shooters use) without any problems - but it will be a new skill to get used to. Furthermore with the Raynox manual focusing is about the only way to go - not just with getting it right, but also because the 70mm extends as it focuses, not something you want happening when trying to get the shot - so manual is far preferable

Bad Gary bad!!
Throw the Raynox in the bin they are a waste of money

My thoughts on MP-E 65mm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Read and see what wins ;) :mrgreen:

I am going to try and return the lens and get the 150mm instead as that has a motor, I didn't realise that the D3000 was not compatible with the 70mm macro, ah well I will learn next time. Thanks for your replies anyway people, also in future if I want to manual focus how would I go about doing that?

Yeah, the d3000 has no autofocus motor built in, so you have to get a lens with a built in motor if you want to have auto focus. Normally, i shoot macro in manual focus anyway, but Macro's are also good portait lenses, which is where you'd want the autofocus. SO just make sure you catch tht next time. Hopefully they'll let you return it!

Yeah, the d3000 has no autofocus motor built in, so you have to get a lens with a built in motor if you want to have auto focus. Normally, i shoot macro in manual focus anyway, but Macro's are also good portait lenses, which is where you'd want the autofocus. SO just make sure you catch tht next time. Hopefully they'll let you return it!

Thanks, do you or anyone know if the Kenko Extension Tube Set will work with the Sigma 150mm macro lens? Because I've already ordered the Kenko Extension Tube Set and can't cancel them. Will they be alright with the 150mm Sigma or not? If not I am going to order a 1.4 Tele Converter instead and return the Kenko set.

Thanks

They will work with any lens, but you won't have autofocus as far as i know.

Tell yourself you that the lens you really wanted was the Sigma 150mm! It is such a beautiful imager,and the focal length is a nice one for macro shooting. I think the Sigma 150mm HSM Macro is one of the nicest macro lenses on the market. It creates very beautifully-rendered images.

Just a tip - Sigma have a new 150mm to come to the market with OS (optical stabilization). However release date and price are not confirmed yet, so it might be a while (nobody, but sigma knows).

..... also in future if I want to manual focus how would I go about doing that?
Turn the focus ring on the lens as you look through the viewfinder.

If the lens you are using sends distance information to the D3000's micro-processor (most lenses made for Nikons today will), the camera will light the green in-focus indicator in the viewfinder.

You will also want to carefully re-read pages 41-49 of your D3000 users manual (the one on the white disc, not the paper quick guide) with close attention to both pages 48 (Manual Focus) and 49 (The Electronic Rangerfinder).

You can also download a PDF file of the complete D3000 users manual at www.nikonusa.com.

Tell yourself you that the lens you really wanted was the Sigma 150mm! It is such a beautiful imager,and the focal length is a nice one for macro shooting. I think the Sigma 150mm HSM Macro is one of the nicest macro lenses on the market. It creates very beautifully-rendered images.

Ha, thanks. I am still driven towards getting that lens. I just hope Warehouse Express let me return the 70mm.

Just a tip - Sigma have a new 150mm to come to the market with OS (optical stabilization). However release date and price are not confirmed yet, so it might be a while (nobody, but sigma knows).

Thanks for the heads up, I don't think I can wait though as I'm so eager to shoot macro!

..... also in future if I want to manual focus how would I go about doing that?
Turn the focus ring on the lens as you look through the viewfinder.

If the lens you are using sends distance information to the D3000's micro-processor (most lenses made for Nikons today will), the camera will light the green in-focus indicator in the viewfinder.

You will also want to carefully re-read pages 41-49 of your D3000 users manual (the one on the white disc, not the paper quick guide) with close attention to both pages 48 (Manual Focus) and 49 (The Electronic Rangerfinder).

You can also download a PDF file of the complete D3000 users manual at www.nikonusa.com.

Thank you, I haven't fully read the user manual actually.. whoops. I'm terrible for reading instructions and things like that, I know I should but I've never been much of a reader. I will have a look though :)

Thank you, I haven't fully read the user manual actually.. whoops. I'm terrible for reading instructions and things like that, I know I should but I've never been much of a reader. I will have a look though :)
Then it's likely your camera/lens/flash has features and capabilites you'll either never know about, or if somehow you discover them, will be unable to use to their full capablility.

A camera users manual really should be read several times and kept close when shooting as a reference source.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back