What's new

Having trouble with camera purchase!!!

chastityboland

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Havelock, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

My name is Chastity. I am new to the forum!!

I am currently a student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh online. I need to purchase a camera. I have narrowed my options down to the Nikon D3100, Nikon D3000 or the Canon EOS Rebel T3. I would like one that shoots better in low light, but it is not that big of a deal.

Here are the specifications that I have from school for the camera: DSLR with interchangeable lens
Controls: Manual, Aperture Priority, and Shutter Priority Formats: RAW, JPEG
Sensor Size: 8 megapixels or higher storage: Compact Flash or SD of at least 1 gigabyte white balance: Custom, Auto, Presets, and Manual Color Space: AdobeRGB(1998) and xRGB
Minimum Aperture Range: f4.5-f16 (f2.8-f22 preferred)
Low High 8/10/10
Interchangeable lenses

Any help/advise would be great!!! Thanks!! :blushing:
 
What is your budget?
 
A camera's low-light performance is directly proportional to it's price-tag. All three of the cameras you have listed meet all of your school's requirements. As JW stated, we need to know how much you have to spend.
 
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far. Right now by budget is $1,000.00 it could go up within the next couple of weeks, but that is what I am playing with right now, because I have other equipment that I have to buy eventually!!!!!

Chastity
 
With a $1000 budget, I would stay with the entry-level bodies that you've mentioned above. My suggestion would be to go to a real camera store (That is a store that sells cameras and photographic equipment, NOT a big-box store that has a camera counter), and explain your list of requirements to a salesperson. Have him show you the different bodies and find out which one has the best feel. Ergonomics are very important. I don't believe that Nikon bodies overall are any better than Canon, but I don't like the Canon control layout.

I would strongly recommend keeping the price of your body/lens purchase as low as possible. You will find that there are a whole host of other things that you will need and/or want such as a bag, tripod, external flash(es), filters, etc.

My vote would be for the D3100, but I'm a Nikonian.
 
Don't be afraid to shop for something used, there are some great bargains out there if you look.
 
Hey Tirediron,

Thank you. I was kind of leaning toward the Nikon. I have heard some really good things about them. I want something that is durable and not too too difficult to use.

You are right there are other things that I want/need to get. Thank you for the advise, I will let you know which way I go.
 
Hi Tony,

I was looking online at some used cameras, but my husband is not a huge fan of me buying my first camera for school used. It has been a long, extensive conversation!!! I am going to keep looking!! Thank you!
 
Check out www.keh.com. I bought my F3 and my D2xs from them. They now have a 6 month warranty on equipment (I haven't dug into the details yet), and a very nice return policy. They currently have a D3100 in Like New condition for $525. I would also look at the D90's.

Good luck with school.

Bruce
 
Nobody asked if you are focusing on photography at the Art Institute or if it's just one class that you're taking. If photography is your focus/major you will probably want to look at something a little better than the 3100. My father has one and it's good for him but I find having to use the back LCD to look at general settings instead of having a top LCD is a PITA and that's just one feature. I would suggest you look at used D90's as well. All of the major used sellers (Adorma, B&H, KEH, etc.) will take back a camera/have some sort of warranty with used equipment and they are very good at rating condition. Just my bit of input. Good luck.
 
Hi Infinite_Day,

My major is Photography. Thank you for the input I will look into it. I do have an account open with B & H through school, so I will look into it more through them.

Thanks again!!
 
You may also be able to get a refurbished body through Adorama or B&H at a better price than new. I'd opt for one of those over buying "used" through Craigslist or some other ad without any possibility of returning bad equipment. I'm sure you know this already, but you'll find the real expense comes in buying quality lenses, not camera bodies.
 
I would take the Canon T3 off the list, because it does not have a Spot, light metering mode.
 
Thanks KmH. I did not know that. I am leaning towards Nikon a lot more. I have been looking around and doing research. I am just not sure if I should go with the D3000, D3100 or D90. I can find a refurbished D90 without lenses for the same I would pay for the D3100 with the 2 lenses that I need. I am not sure what to do!!!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom