HDR attempt in LR

Discussion in 'HDR Discussions' started by zulu42, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    NIK Collection has great tools including HDR. Since Dx0 bought it they don't have it available for download because they are coming out with t=a new version. If you want the free Google release of NIK, pm me and I will make it available for you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

You seen to have accomplished what HDR can be used for - providing a range of exposures that cannot be done in a single shot. However, I'm not a fan of HDR because it tends to flatten out contrast making a picture boring. Also, it tends to bring out shadows which then competes with the main part of the picture - the more lighted areas the eyes are attracted too. I think part of the attraction of HDR is that people do it because it can be done. Technically it works. But it winds up hurting the artistic effect which I believe is more important then capturing a larger dynamic range.

Two thirds of your picture is the foreground weeds that have no attractive appeal. The subject in my view is the mountains and sun in the background. However, that area is not in focus. The weeds are. Also, who cares about looking at messy weeds? Crop most of the weeds out. They add nothing to the picture. Leave that area darker and bring out the background mountains and sun.

Shooting requires selecting the subject before you shoot. HDR doesn't eliminate that process. Good luck.

3. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with your opinion on HDR, generally speaking. However, I enjoy a lot of HDR images that have a purpose for using HDR, and /or when it is artfully done. It's a modern imaging technique I'd like to have in the "tool bag" as needed. Actually, I just have fun playing with images. There's the primary goal.

As it turns out, I have basically been using hdr in place of a graduated filter. When the sky and the landscape require different exposure.

But, I will keep in mind selecting a subject before I shoot :)

4. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yes, it's good to try all the tools to see what they can do for you. I'm sorry if I came across caustic. Glad you're having fun with photography. That's the main point.

• Like Like x 1