HDR from this weekend

modlife

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got back from Myrtle Beach - I took about 8 pictures total (it was a business trip) and these were 2 of the ones that begged for a little HDR action. If anyone wants to know how to make a preset for this kind of look, just ask - I have a 30-sec single exposure method and will have a video tutorial up soon.

Let me know what you think! They look almost as good without processing if you're wondering

mbtruck.jpg

Coolest truck ever?
mbrainbow.jpg

I hope they don't mind the tire tracks I left in the front yard...
maybe I should send them a copy...

Good Lord, could you make a slightly larger signature line?

Could you kill some of the graphics in the sig line please? It's really obnoxious.

As for the pics, I think #1 is kind of cool, but too busy. #2 is interesting... probably the best of the two.

I didn't realize I had changed my sig - I uploaded bigger logos a while back and haven't posted here in a while.

As for the pics - I like the "busy" aspect of the first... neither one was cropped, only applied my "fake HDR" preset

The rainbow was on my way out there - of course I had to stop for that shot; the truck is something I snapped driving 60mph down the road hanging out of a jeep. I was surprised it turned out at all to be honest.

I like your logo. However it looks suspiciously like the logo for the CBS soap The Young & The Restless. That was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it.

Not that I watch soaps or anything like that. Okay, 25 years ago during a stint of unemployment I was hooked on the Young & the Restless... And Ryan's Hope...and the Edge of Night. And okay, maybe one or two episodes of General Hospital. But that's it!

There. I said it.

Oh, and the HDRs are cool.

I like your logo. However it looks suspiciously like the logo for the CBS soap The Young & The Restless. That was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it.

Not that I watch soaps or anything like that. Okay, 25 years ago during a stint of unemployment I was hooked on the Young & the Restless... And Ryan's Hope...and the Edge of Night. And okay, maybe one or two episodes of General Hospital. But that's it!

There. I said it.

Oh, and the HDRs are cool.

LMAO - that's awesome. Well, if I thought of that when I designed it I can assure you it was just hidden in the back of my mind from the early 80's...def. not intentional...

1- Honestly it looks over processed. From what I can tell this is from your filter you apply, personally I can't stand it when things look like they have too much PP because it takes me out of the shot. Speaking of composition thirds and triangles have been minded slightly but it just feels like a bad choice of subject - ground which may have been cleaned up by either moving in a tid bit closer. Not to nit pick but this shot wouldn't even call for hdr treatment to begin with so going through and tone mapping process is just going to either over saturate or ruin color quality in some shadows as well as some highlights.

2- You can't tell immediatly that you did the tone mapping on this one, however a quick glance at the tree line shows me the similar loss of clarity in highlights / shadows. The pixels there have all been thrown to similar colors. Also, when you are making an hdr picture the idea is to get things like a skyline as well as subject ground properly exposed, I'd like to see your sky darkened and enrichened a bit. Nice composition on this one, and again the thirds and triangles were clearly considered even if only on a subconscious level.

I just really don't like seeing people over process =| so I may have looked for things I didn't like in the picture more so then if there was less processing, however I stand by what I've said xD even if I'm wrong!

Just remember this is my opinion on aesthetics, if you like it nothing else matters. It is your art after all

i personally like the first picture ... HDR stands out in it but the 2nd pic is sorta okay as i'm trying to find the high dynamic range in it.
good stuff though ... happy clicking =)

Speaking of composition thirds and triangles have been minded slightly but it just feels like a bad choice of subject - ground which may have been cleaned up by either moving in a tid bit closer...

...2- You can't tell immediatly that you did the tone mapping on this one, however a quick glance at the tree line shows me the similar loss of clarity in highlights / shadows. The pixels there have all been thrown to similar colors. Also, when you are making an hdr picture the idea is to get things like a skyline as well as subject ground properly exposed, I'd like to see your sky darkened and enrichened a bit. Nice composition on this one, and again the thirds and triangles were clearly considered even if only on a subconscious level.

The first one was taken @ 60mph hanging from a jeep... hard to compose much. It was on the side of the road and was a last minute shot. For some reason I liked it as is.

The second one was taken from a stand still, so I had the opportunity to frame how I wanted. The treeline was washed out in the original from all of the the rain

...oh, and no "real" tone mapping. I literally have a 30-sec single exposure method

Last edited:
Speaking of composition thirds and triangles have been minded slightly but it just feels like a bad choice of subject - ground which may have been cleaned up by either moving in a tid bit closer...

...2- You can't tell immediatly that you did the tone mapping on this one, however a quick glance at the tree line shows me the similar loss of clarity in highlights / shadows. The pixels there have all been thrown to similar colors. Also, when you are making an hdr picture the idea is to get things like a skyline as well as subject ground properly exposed, I'd like to see your sky darkened and enrichened a bit. Nice composition on this one, and again the thirds and triangles were clearly considered even if only on a subconscious level.

The first one was taken @ 60mph hanging from a jeep... hard to compose much. It was on the side of the road and was a last minute shot. For some reason I liked it as is.

The second one was taken from a stand still, so I had the opportunity to frame how I wanted. The treeline was washed out in the original from all of the the rain

...oh, and no tone mapping. I literally have a 30-sec single exposure method

Tone mapping:
a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map a set of colours to another; often to approximate the appearance ...

Which is what HDR is, so if you aren't tone mapping then it isn't hdr.

Your composition isn't bad, it is the PP I have a problem with. This process you are using is lowering the quality of the images, as I said. It is something I see often and even though it may be a desired look you may like many people prefer a cleaner image.

It is like I already said, if you like how it looks then there is nothing to worry about. It is your art after all, but if you want the aesthetics to be more appealing to a larger crowd this technique won't really pull in that many people. There are cleaner ways to do it, they just take a bit longer.

Where can I see some of your work? I see that you give a lot of advice (which is mostly correct, so don't take that the wrong way) but I don't see any work.

What I do see is that I make enough from photography to pay for full sail, and you are paying them that much with the "hopes" of working for a pro someday...

...which begs me to ask where you are coming from - I'd like to see some of your work

also, I should point out that "HDR" isn't something I'm really big on - actually you'll find these are some of the only pics like this I've ever posted anywhere. Anyway - I'd like to see what you are putting up

You probably just shouldn't post pictures if you're not preapred to hear peoples opinions on them.

#1 is awesome. i think the prossesing is perfect for the subject. otherwise the rusty old truck would not look near as interesting. and considering the circumstances, of the shot, well its just awesome.

#2 does seem like the sky should be darker and more detailed since its an hdr, but the corn stalks look great!

and whats this 30-second hdr exposure i keep reading about?

Where can I see some of your work? I see that you give a lot of advice (which is mostly correct, so don't take that the wrong way) but I don't see any work.

What I do see is that I make enough from photography to pay for full sail, and you are paying them that much with the "hopes" of working for a pro someday...

...which begs me to ask where you are coming from - I'd like to see some of your work

also, I should point out that "HDR" isn't something I'm really big on - actually you'll find these are some of the only pics like this I've ever posted anywhere. Anyway - I'd like to see what you are putting up

lol at this guy. Don't say "Let me know what you think!" if you can't handle people's opinions.

Wow man you need to calm down big time, I don't post much work because I don't believe it is of the highest caliber that I can take. You will never see me post something I consider an experiment, recently I posted one picture from a test shoot I did to get hired at a modeling agency. It was a bare bones, no lights, no money situation and considering the person we had wasn't even a model went very well.

I'm not a photographer, I started photography 3 months ago. Yes, I do talk a lot because while I don't have the work I do have the understanding.

Actually Full Sail's one month of photography is all the experience I have, and I like to think I have an extremely strong grasp on the basics of composition, post processing, lighting, and tact with people to where I can reply on images. I've made it very clear that the artistic choices you make are yours however looking at them from a more generic standpoint I critiqued them.

I never once said they were bad, just that they could be improved upon and I gave you thoughts of which I felt would help you along.

If you don't want to listen to my advice that is fine by me, I don't have a lot of experience but I am extremely driven. I have studied many other photographers and I have researched many post processing techniques. I have a friend doing wedding photography back in my home town and who is very successful making a lot of money in photography but yet I can still come along and teach him a lot. He appreciates it when I tell him that the post processing he did was too much because no matter how much experience you have you can still learn.

Please understand you are taking properly posed advice as some threat right now, and I'm being nothing but genuine and nice to you. I try to approach the situation as I approach my own work, no matter how much I put into it there is always better that I could have done. I love it when people tell me how I could fix my work, you will see in the thread I started asking for critics on my image I posted that I went back and listened to almost every person's advice.

I know you didn't ask for criticism, but by simply posting the images on an open forum you will receive it so if you are going to feel so personally hurt when someone comments other then "I really like this image" please think twice before posting.

why post for C&C if u cant take the heat.

pics are 'ok'....pretty at best.

Most reactions

Back