HDR snobbery

Same difference to me. Sorry.

It's censorship. And if we know where it starts, we have no idea where it will end. Ever read Fahrenheit 451?

And who are you to define rude trash talking for all of us?

All I'm saying is Beware of what you ask for.

hahahahaha what in the world?

I'm all for freedom of speech. but you know what else I'm all for? respect and decency. I'm not asking for censorship of anything. I'm asking people to stop being rude. I realize that doing this on the internet is like trying to douse a fire with gasoline, but hey, it's worth a shot.

NEWS FLASH: HDR IS A TOOL IN THE BOX
... not a fad.

it's a fad.

it will always be used, but right now, it's being over-used. Just like photoshop back in the day... and a little bit right now.

it will always be used, but right now, it's being over-used. Just like photoshop back in the day... and a little bit right now.

They said the same thing about pockets.

I agree with Epp as much as I agree with the OP.

However I don't think there is any need to be a snob about it or to be rude. There is a simple solution, don't post. The thread gets pushed to the bottom and no one is considered an HDR snob. Win-win.

dingdingdingggg!!! we have a winner!

seriously. why post something rude when you can just let the thread die. or say "hey next time you make an HDR try using a little less compression and saturation, I bet you'll love the results."

yeah that ... if you dont want it.. ignore it

you cant control what people post :/

SOme people just don't feel liek googling it I guess... EVERYONE - keep this handy: Let me google that for you

But trust me here, I've been to forums with real attitude, this is like a nice breeze. Not much anger here. Some people(the high posters) curse you out on other forums because they feel you should leave and that only people with 500 posts should talk and are the only trustable ones.

Some people so do over use HDRs. I personally have never made one [YET]. Like any other photo though, I think it should be critiqued normally. If colors off, say it, same with light, composition, etc.
It's kind of like clothes - the style.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but why are we considering HDR to be so awful?

It kind of reminds me of Split Contrast Printing in the darkroom.... you get more of a range of what you were looking for -- and that was never frowned upon in school.

Why would you hate on something that can improve the look of your photos? You wouldn't frown upon someone for dodging or burning an image, so unless I am misunderstanding what is being debated-- I don't exactly see the issue.. ?

I think most people are fine with 'true' HDR, to expand the dynamic range of a photograph.

What I think some people have a problem with are these HDR's coming out of the woodwork that are so over done they look fake/cartoon like.

Me personally, I'd just like people to post their images w/o the HDR variant added to the title and just let me decide based on the photograph/post processing if I like it or not.

9 times out of 10 if I click on a thread title with HDR specified in it, I'm assured to be presented with the cartoon-like samples... which can be quite attractive, however not what I would consider HDR.

There are always going to be new things happening in photography that people are going to like, and dislike.

There has been a heavy increase in over saturated and slightly over exposed images, many people like them and it appeals to them, while there are also a lot of people who like images that are extra dark, heavy shadows, etc...

There are people who photoshop and post process the hell out of their photos and get both positive and negative reviews.

There are people (even like myself) who shoot things out of focus with intention to form interesting compositions. I have met people who like the shots, and people who think they are crap.

So my question then, is why cant Overdone HDR be a new "style" ?

If that's what they want their images to look like, and it's what they're going for-- what's the harm?

There is no harm, but like you said (kind of) I personally think it needs it's own name (style) and get away from the HDR definition.

I personally think it needs it's own name

Why? Photography is photography. If you're so anal that everything needs to be in its own little box maybe you should become a psychologist :lol:

My photography is LMTFAIKWIDEIYDLIJTMIYLION

Leave Me The F*ck Alone I Know What I'm Doing Even If You Don't Like It Just Tell Me If You Like It Or Not

Most reactions

Back