HDR snobbery

Ya, I keep reading about this HDR thing, but I don't know what it is...

What is HDR?

I don't see it so much as snobbery as apathy, boredom and perhaps some dismay. Photography is almost 200 years old. There really isn't anything all that new. It's been done before, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident. A lot of those accidents never really saw the light of day because they were not popular. Tastes change.

20 years ago you wouldn't see barbells in peoples eyes, ears, noses, tongues, nipples, belly button, and places I won't name. Now they are common place. Does that mean I want to see and marvel over all those barbells and other bits of body jewelry or find it fascinating or that I have too?

HDR is just another form of art. There are some that I have seen that I do like some I don't. My only complaint with it or any form of art that seems to capture the fascination of so many is if you like it great. But it doesn't mean that I have to as well.

I guess that means I don't have to worry about my wife getting me a gift certificate for nipple piercing for Christmas. :lol:

you should BE so lucky!

The only HDR photos I've seen that appealed to me were ones that didn't look like HDR.

HDR is like IR in that there is certainly a place for it but it's limited. I went to an exhibit that was all IR photos. The first one or two were interesting.

I had an art professor who bragged that he worked only with casein on rice paper. I asked him why and his response was, "No one else is doing it. That makes me different." I suppose for some, that's their goal.

I had to laugh at the term *HDR is a fad* considering it's been around 1850 ish. man a lot of us weren't even a twinkle in our daddy's eyes in that era !. IMO it depends on the photographer if they like the hdr style of photography or not. Personally i'm quite happy with it, some of it can be completely overdone, And some just pick horrible objects to use hdr on and that gives them a rejected feeling when told it pretty much sucks, so they tend to hate it or persevere and carry on etc. But overall i'm for it

I had to laugh at the term *HDR is a fad* considering it's been around 1850 ish. man a lot of us weren't even a twinkle in our daddy's eyes in that era !. IMO it depends on the photographer if they like the hdr style of photography or not. Personally i'm quite happy with it, some of it can be completely overdone, And some just pick horrible objects to use hdr on and that gives them a rejected feeling when told it pretty much sucks, so they tend to hate it or persevere and carry on etc. But overall i'm for it

HDR is a fad.

The fact that it's been done before doesn't make it any less of a fad.

HDR is a fad.

When I think of Fads I think of slap bracelets, Koosh Balls, The Macarena, hammer pants, ect.
There is a lot crap produced with HDR methods, but if HDR is a fad then so is a 50mm lens. :lol:

HDR is a fad.

Ok... first off. HDR is not a fad. It's part of photography.

From the majority of the posts in this thread it seems like everyone is talking about "Tone Mapping", not "High Dynamic Range". When someone uses an HDR technique in a shot you cannot tell it's been done and generally not labeled HDR in a thread title.

I think people get annoyed with all the HDR threads because the HDR threads are not HDR. They are heavily tone mapped.

HDR is a fad.

When I think of Fads I think of slap bracelets, Koosh Balls, The Macarena, hammer pants, ect.
There is a lot crap produced with HDR methods, but if HDR is a fad then so is a 50mm lens. :lol:

How dare you call hammer pants a fad. :grumpy:

no, it is a trial version of photomatix so that you can be ultra faddy while making an HDR tone mapped image and wearing hammer pants.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back