HDR

jakedoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamsessionphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So.. Ive shot a little HDR, but this is a first for a portrait shoot for me. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Your subject is a lovely woman, but having said that... no matter what you do in post processing, if the basic starting picture is not strong, doesn't follow known proper rules to getting the picture, no matter what you do to the post processing, it will still not be a strong picture.

It's all about getting the basics in place.
- Her face is poorly lit
- Her face is not in focus
- Her eyes are squinty
- The light is harsh
- The shadows are overpowering
- The location is distracting (the oil on the floor, the yellow line that is broken by her position, that wall in back is NOT adding to your pic at all)

- and the HDR effect makes it all look (please pardon my wording) hideous... especially the extreme colourcasting caused going from one side of the pic to the other.

This started out as an OK picture and went downhill from there. Not due to HDR, but due to the basics of photography NOT being followed.

Finally... Beyond the Basics is NOT the section for C&C... please do this in the appropriate section in the future... we have several areas where this pic would have better fit.

Beyond the Basics: " This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!" (note the lack of the words C&C)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Your subject is a lovely woman, but having said that... no matter what you do in post processing, if the basic starting picture is not strong, doesn't follow known proper rules to getting the picture, no matter what you do to the post processing, it will still not be a strong picture.

It's all about getting the basics in place.
- Her face is poorly lit
- Her face is not in focus
- Her eyes are squinty
- The light is harsh
- The shadows are overpowering
- The location is distracting (the oil on the floor, the yellow line that is broken by her position, that wall in back is NOT adding to your pic at all)

- and the HDR effect makes it all look (please pardon my wording) hideous... especially the extreme colourcasting caused going from one side of the pic to the other.

This started out as an OK picture and went downhill from there. Not due to HDR, but due to the basics of photography NOT being followed.

Finally... Beyond the Basics is NOT the section for C&C... please do this in the appropriate section in the future... we have several areas where this pic would have better fit.

Beyond the Basics: " This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!" (note the lack of the words C&C)
Thanks!

i agree with jerry 100% on this one...HDR would not have saved this image.

perhaps you can go back and reshoot, and take into account the points jerry made.

keep shootin...it's how ya learn.

well, I appreciate the critique. I was not trying to "save" the photo with post process. It was actually an experiment on my part just to see how it would come out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back