Headshot camera and lens

Vision2955

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a camera and a lens that will be idle for headshot photography

can someone please make a recommendation

thanks
-V

Ideal? Probably a Canon 5D and 85 1.2L.

You've gotta provide a budget estimate!

edit: probably more important than the camera is knowing how to work with and manipulate light.

Pretty much any camera will do that - from the cheapest point and shoot all the way up the Leica 'S'. Do you have any specific requirements in terms of quality or output format? What's your budget?

You could go with a Canon 450D ($585) and a 85mm f/1.8 ($355).

Just one option of many though... I only said Canon because that's what I use and am familiar with. Nikon is probably OK too... ;)

Canon Xti ($550) and 85mm f/1.8 ($350). But then again, I would invest in lighting so I would suggest the 50mm f/1.8 ($100) and spend the remaining $300 on 2 lighting setups from strobist.org. Cheap lights but work great and are good for starters.

Nick

You know what's even better for starters? Natural light, or natural light and a reflector.

You know what's even better for starters? Natural light, or natural light and a reflector.

this is true, lighting in itself takes as much time to learn as everything else combined. in this case the 85mm f/1.8 would probably serve your interests best and be a great lens that will last you.

Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back