Headshot Matthew Boyce

Brinr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brinrphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like the first one, but I'd try to put a little bit of color back in him. I like the brightness of him and his suit...but not the skin...looks a bit pale from the flash.

...or it's my laptop...I forget that things appear "cooler" than they might actually be when viewing on here.

need to diffuse that lighting....

flash is a little harsh. are you using a diffuser? they look just a tad cool to me as well, which i think works for the jacket, but not the skintones. also, button the jacket.
#1 is the best in my opinion. facial expression is kinda goofy in #2, looks more natural in #1. just minor issues, not bad overall.

Light is a bit too harsh. Also looks like you went crazy with a dodging brush in # 2 and now you can see a halo around his head. I would def clean that up.

OLaA, no dodge brush, it was a reflection from the softbox.

cgibson, used an umbrella and softbox, maybe will set farther frum subject next tyme.

Errrone else, jacket button issue. I wanted a more laidback look, he is working in HR and wanted to look more approachable, or at least that's what I wanted.

Thanks for all the comments!

OLaA, no dodge brush, it was a reflection from the softbox.

Oh okay.. Makes sense. Maybe just a tad of exposure off of his face. I'd say a little less than half a stop.

I don't mind the jacket. I actually think it pairs well with the chosen backgrounds.

Lighting issues not withstanding, his head tilt weakens his persona.

In the first his chin is in good position, but the head tilt to the near (low) shoulder is a 'feminine' posing attribute.

In the second his chin is to high giving him a disdainful, haughty air, his smile looks very forced, more like a grimace, and the head tilt is even more to the near (low) shoulder having an even more 'feminine' posing attribute.

I prefer the background in #1. The lines in the background in #2 are distracting.

So of the 2, I vote for #1

The fundamentals of posing apply as much today as they ever have.

The subject needs to put one foot back slightly and at an angle to the lens axis. The front foot should point at the camera. A majority of the subject's weight should be on the back foot. The subject needs to lean forward slightly at the waist so their chin is, in a vertical plane, just in front of their belt buckle.

Last edited:
#2 looks like he is taking a #2.

As already mention you have some very Hot sections on his forehead.

cgibson, used an umbrella and softbox, maybe will set farther frum subject next tyme.

You get softer light two different ways.....

#1 A larger light source
#2 a closer light source

How is moving the softbox farther away going to help? What size softbox/ umbrella? How far away were they already?

#1 A larger light source
#2 a closer light source

How is moving the softbox farther away going to help? What size softbox/ umbrella? How far away were they already?

Que?

further away = less light thus softer highlights?

#1 A larger light source
#2 a closer light source

Que?

further away = less light thus softer highlights?

Thanks Runnah...

I have another one of these scheduled for Friday, I'll take all your comments into consideration. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back