Ken Betchel Headshot... Try 2

Flash is waaaaaaaaaaay too hot.

Also something funny about the light being so much stronger on the one side that it makes him look like he has some weird sneer going on.

Background in 3 is really distracting, 2 also but less so, 1 the least of all.

Crop on 2 and 3 is a little weird. Looks like you missed.

1 looks a little washed out. Skin tones are best on 2.

#3 has the most natural smile, but it's badly centered. #2 looks like he's carrying a machete, daring you to make him use it. #1 is way too blown out but if you shot RAW you might be able to save it.

#2 makes me like I am going to get violated.

#1 has the best smiles but the light is was too harsh.

can't win in this crowd...

That's because the lighting sucks! You are not lighting your subjects in an attractive manner... you are making them look like Police Mug Shots, lol! Don't you see the bright highlights? Are they oiling their faces or something? Look how dark the shadows are from the nose and the cheek creases.... not good! Too dark!

Post a diagram of how you have it setup. How far away from the subject... what you are using for modifiers, etc.. the more info the better! We can help, but not without information! http://www.lightingdiagrams.com/Creator

The composition and backgrounds aren't as much as an issue for me as the lighting. There are some really harsh shadows on his nose that are just too dramatic for the purpose and expression.

yea.. the eyes are overdone... he looks like he is on coke or something... lol!

yea.. the eyes are overdone... he looks like he is on coke or something... lol!
I'm thinking if the photos are posted in the order they were taken, he might have been preparing his eyes for that light. When someone does that, the total look is skewed.

You won't know what to do or not to do if all anyone gives you are back pats. I went to your Flickr page and there are some really good images there but they are all outdoors. You know how to use natural light, apparently, and the poses are adequate. I think that when it comes to artificial lighting and indoor posing, you're just a little weaker.

Such a bizarre response.

I'm sorry, here...

"THOSE SHOTS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!"

Better?

If you want pats on the back go show these to your mom.

Your shutter speed is also way too slow in the first two. You've got ghosting around the guys chin, which is a result of him moving while the shutter is open. The flash still froze him in place, but the ghosting isn't appropriate for a headshot. I would have fixed this by upping the ISO a bit, the 5diii is capable of much higher than 160, and that would have kept the background exposure.

:scratch: Ehhh??? Come on dude... you KNOW better than that. You've been here a while, and you've posted MUCH better stuff than this. Is it perhaps that this is just the one shot you can't get right? (We all have one; some us many more than one).

You guys are right, I am being a whiner. OK so i feel like if I don't give him dramatic lighting it looks to "on camera". I also tried to soften the light as much as possible, One light is a shoot through umbrella the other has a 24" softbox and on-flash diffuser. I don't get how it still looks super contrasty and, as pointed out, sh*tty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back