Ken Betchel Headshot... Try 2

You guys are right, I am being a whiner. OK so i feel like if I don't give him dramatic lighting it looks to "on camera". I also tried to soften the light as much as possible, One light is a shoot through umbrella the other has a 24" softbox and on-flash diffuser. I don't get how it still looks super contrasty and, as pointed out, sh*tty.

How large is the umbrella?

How far away is it?

Is the umbrella the Key or Fill?

A 24" softbox is small for this kind of shot, how far away was it?

What lights are you using?

Diagram please: http://www.lightingdiagrams.com/Creator Distances are very important.. please list them. The highlights in the eyes are tiny.. so either the modifiers were far away, or too small... or you modded the highlights in PS?

What I get from this is that your key and fill are too close to the same output. When I'm doing headshots, I normally use one light and a reflector. For example, this is a similar shot to yours in terms of perspective:

Jess1.jpg

It consists of a single 30" SB camera left and feathered off the background, with a 48" silver reflector very close in (as in, about 1/2" outside the frame). Yes, there is a hairlight in this one, but that's not important. I wonder if perhaps you're not overthinking the setup?

BG in 1 is best. Lighting in 2 is best (move your main up a little). All of them have hotspots. I actually like rim lights a little hot, but you can't have them on noses or foreheads. Smile on 3 is best. This might be one of those people that just don't give good toothy smiles.

The shadow edges are too sharp, and the light too harsh for my tastes.

It probably looks super contrasty because your modifies were to small. You don't say what size the umbrella was, nor how far out of the image frame the lights were.
24 inches is kind of small for a portraiture softbox. 24 inches is about how wide a person's shoulders are. 24 inches can work good for quite a few products.

In the realm of classic portraiture, the nose shadow should never cross the lip line like it does big time in #1.

Quite a few people need to wipe their face with absorbent paper or a towel to remove excess facial skin oil before a portrait shot is taken.
I often used a bit of face power to help control skin shine/bright spots.

A good portrait pose often feels uncomfortable to the subject, but makes a good photograph (reference head position relative to the shoulders - weak (feminine) head position attribute).

Little umbrella, maybe 24 or 25" same as the box, don't have anything bigger. About 5-8 feet away. Box=main, Umbrella=rim using 580exii main and 480exii rim. Maybe beauty dish better? Gonna post another w/o toothy smile later.

$Untitled.jpg

Part of your problem is that your lights are too far away. Bring them in. A lot. Have your key maybe 2-3' away and your fill/rim not much, if any, more.

Part of your problem is that your lights are too far away. Bring them in. A lot. Have your key maybe 2-3' away and your fill/rim not much, if any, more.

Yep... to far away! And too small! If you want to be a PRO.. buy some decent gear. Look at some Photek Softliters (or even some of the cheap copies)... inexpensive, and they work well, even with speedlights.. get a 46" and a 60"... you will be set for a lot more than just headshots

Amazon.com: Photek Softlighter II, 46 inch Umbrella with Diffuser.: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Photek Softliter 60 Inch Diffused Umbrella: Camera & Photo

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think a 60" might be a little bit of overkill for a headshot; I do mine almost exclusively with a 30" SB and as long as you're close in, it's great for head & shoulder shots.

I think a 60" might be a little bit of overkill for a headshot; I do mine almost exclusively with a 30" SB and as long as you're close in, it's great for head & shoulder shots.

yea...I agree.... but these are not headshots! They are larger than headshots (depending on how you define "headshot"). The larger gear will still do headshots, and plus allow him to do more (even full length if he is careful)

But yea... a 46" and a good reflector is all he really needs for headshots....

I call these headshots... http://peterhurley.com/photography/actors-headshots/leading-ladies/

+3

An 32" umbrella and a 24" soft box would need to be just outside the image frame, and if you're going to final crop for an 8x10 - just inside a 3:2 image frame.

Having them 5-8 feet away pretty much defeats even using them.

I would use 40" or so modifies for a head and shoulders shot, unless you want the lots and lots of 'shadow wrap' (very diffuse, almost invisible shadows) a 60" can provide.

You might already have the inexpensive books - Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello, my name is Charlie! And I admit.. I LIKE LARGE MODIFIERS! lol! The bigger the better (if I want soft light)! If I want HARD light.. well, heck.. that is easy!

Well then, maybe a new modifier is on the list... thanks for all the advice.

Well then, maybe a new modifier is on the list... thanks for all the advice.

Cool! Just remember:

The larger the light source, the softer the light.....
The closer the light source, the softer the light....

so close and /or large is going to give nice soft light....

Last edited:
Here's a good rule of thumb too, the larger the light source appears to your subject, the softer the light is going to be. A small light source, which is positioned very close to your subject will still be soft.

Keep experimenting with the light sources you have right now. Just bring them in closer and see how it looks.

Most reactions

Back