Headshots and Noon Day Sun

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had to do some headshots for an actor but due to timing, I had to do the shoot around noon.
Ahh the infamous noon-time sun.

Doable? Outdoors?
Yes...open shade.
DSC_7358-Edit.jpg
DSC_7435-Edit.jpg

D810 w/ 105mm f/1.4
iso 64, 1/1000s, f/1.8

I would have stopped the aperture down to get more of the skin on her face in focus; the depth of field is so thin it looks like the cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin are all out of focus. Also consider removing the flakes in her hair. Great lighting and editing otherwise.

Last edited:
I would have stopped the aperture down to get more of the skin on her face in focus; the depth of field is so thin it looks like the cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin are all out of focus. Also consider removing the flakes in her hair. Great lighting and editing otherwise.

Hahah and there I was thinking f/1,8 was stopping down from my usual 1,4

On my 85mm I usually have to stop down to at least f/3.5 for headshots if I want the skin to be somewhat detailed. I imagine 105mm would require something closer to f/4.5 to get enough detail in a headshot.

On my 85mm I usually have to stop down to at least f/3.5 for headshots if I want the skin to be somewhat detailed. I imagine 105mm would require something closer to f/4.5 to get enough detail in a headshot.
Nooooooo *LOL* paid for f/1.4 use it *LOL*
plus the background is really ugly
I don't want skin detail. I want that fuzzy ethereal look.

Here's the amount of retouching done.

Out of camera
DSC_7325.jpg

Retouched
DSC_7325-Edit.jpg

No disrespect intended but I actually prefer the original "OOC" to the retouched on this. The original skin tone is healthy looking, giving her an overall more vibrant look, while the paleness of the edit makes her seem slightly sickly. Not sure you improved on what was already a really nice image.

No disrespect intended but I actually prefer the original "OOC" to the retouched on this. The original skin tone is healthy looking, giving her an overall more vibrant look, while the paleness of the edit makes her seem slightly sickly. Not sure you improved on what was already a really nice image.
I do get away with the colour grading *LOL* SUMMER BLOCKBUSTERS!!
DSC_7325-Edit.jpg

Nooooooo *LOL* paid for f/1.4 use it *LOL*
plus the background is really ugly
I don't want skin detail. I want that fuzzy ethereal look.
Exactly, why be wasteful by not using all of it's aperture range? I paid for a 135mm f/2L lens, which performed best at f/4.5. Same goes for my 85mm lens. If you're going to use the "I paid for f/1.4" argument, you should at least realize that the lens is capable of much more than just shooting wide open. And I'm certain that the background would have been just as creamy and ethereal if you shot at f/4.

I do get away with the colour grading

better but I'm seeing just a tad to much yellow/orange, and you're getting into the "IMO" area LOL Some might say that the original was just a tad to red, main thing is what you think. I just wish I could get an OOC image as good as yours.

Your OOC image from the center of the forehead
123.JPG

Your last edit
12345.JPG

I do get away with the colour grading

better but I'm seeing just a tad to much yellow/orange, and you're getting into the "IMO" area LOL Some might say that the original was just a tad to red, main thing is what you think. I just wish I could get an OOC image as good as yours.

Your OOC image from the center of the forehead
View attachment 145602

Your last edit
View attachment 145603
Are you on a calibrated display? Mine is calibrated, and for some reason your screenshots are not showing the colors that I'm seeing on my display. Perhaps it's your internet browser too?

Are you on a calibrated display? Mine is calibrated, and for some reason your screenshots are not showing the colors that I'm seeing on my display. Perhaps it's your internet browser too?

Yes, calibrate once a month. It may be some degradation due to the fact that I download his JPEG, then used a snipping tool to clip the screen shot, saved as JPEG, then uploaded the screen clips direct to TPF rather than sharing a link from Flickr. I've noticed I get some variations that way occasionally.

Yes, calibrate once a month. It may be some degradation due to the fact that I download his JPEG, then used a snipping tool to clip the screen shot, saved as JPEG, then uploaded the screen clips direct to TPF rather than sharing a link from Flickr. I've noticed I get some variations that way occasionally.
Your screenshots look very "neon".

Your screenshots look very "neon".

I see some variation on the color of the clip when viewed on tablet. Must either be in the windows snipping tool, or when I uploaded, but still the RGB values should be correct. Strange, hadn't noticed that before.

wow - beautiful eyes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back