Headshots

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend of mine has asked me to do portraits for her, she needs head shots. Being a student she thinks the price for head shots offered through her school are high at 400-500. I've offered to do them for free BUT i've told her they might not be the best, i've never done headshots before, i've done product photography professionally and two weddings and a half (they hired a pro alongside.) worse case scenario she gets a few nice pics and she can still get head shots done through her school. I looked at exactly what she needs and other headshots that have been done by the same people, to be honest they are very bland, nothing special. Just a colored background slightly tilted head and flat lighting.

I believe i have the proper equipment to do all this: 2 sb-600's and a sb-700 and a d7000 with either a 50 1.8 or 80-200 (i am prob going to use CLS with i-ttl, or manual, i do have flash triggers if it comes to it) i've been thinking about having a sb600 on a lightstand with umbrella infront of her to her right pointing down classic 45deg and another behind her facing a wall and the sb700 behind her head for a subtle hair light. I also plan on having a reflector on the left hand side for some fill.

My problems so far: in my mind this looks like a fool proof idea but what is concerning me right now is poses, i havent found any decent literature online on poses. Any samples or ideas would be great!! Ive been thinking of doing this in he evening and using a bit of ambient light but not to a distracting point.

Any advice on poses or light setups with the equipment i have would be great. I dont have many light modifiers, basically i have a reflector a shoot through umbrella, a grid and a snoot. I do have colored gels as well.

Poses
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

Three lights IMO should be a Key (main) shot thought a softbox, but an umbrella can suffice at ~45°x45° from the subject. The Fill should be on lens axis to ~18" towards the same side as the Key above camera height. The Hair light should be ~135° from the camera mounted high and aimed to strike the subject at minimal on a side glancing on the camera side of the head. You could use your on-camera flash as a makeshift Fill and use the third light as a Rim light for separation.

:confused: I'm confused; you know exactly what she needs, but you want suggestions on poses???? It's a head-shot. There's really not much posing required other than a slight turning of the head if required - you're only composing from the clavicle up. Lighting really depends on the intent of the shots. Are they for a modeling portfolio, acting, corporate 'who's who' board, or??? Each one has a different look.

There you go making sense again John. :thumbsup:

I really need to step off and follow the rainbow...

Sounds to me like the friend is in a modeling school, sounds about right for what they charge. Decide on a decent time of day and get yourself an assistant and a reflector and you will do fine. If no assistant get a stand for your off camera flash and shoot away. Just look at any site where the photographer shoots models or seniors and you will get ideas for headshots. Visit Model Mayhem and look around , BeModel etc.
SYNC Inc.
-
Shoot well, Joe

ur right, this is exactly what she wants and i plan on giving her that, but since she is there and i have my equipment why not take something a bit more creative? i want to do the basic shots but add a few other ones as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back