Hello from a beginner teen :)

jhenry436

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First photo i have tried to edit using software called LightZone, all feedback is helpful, photo taken in Donegal, Ireland
Fanad.jpg

Hello.

Some bits to fix up ...
Horizon is dipping to the left.
There appears to be a green tint.
Composition wise ... I think there is too much sky.

Welcome to the forum!

The sky and photo appear to need a bit of temperature and tint correction. It looks a little brown/green, like the above comment. Try cooling down the entire photo, and increase the pink tint a touch.

Cropped and straightened
-10 Temp
+30 Tint
+34 Contrast
Increased clarity
Increased vibrance
Minor curves adjustment

Fanad.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

The sky and photo appear to need a bit of temperature and tint correction. It looks a little brown/green, like the above comment. Try cooling down the entire photo, and increase the pink tint a touch.

Cropped and straightened
-10 Temp
+30 Tint
+34 Contrast
Increased clarity
Increased vibrance
Minor curves adjustment

View attachment 113752
Thanks a lot i know what to do next time!

First photo i have tried to edit using software called LightZone, all feedback is helpful, photo taken in Donegal, IrelandView attachment 113747

LightZone is a very good raw file processor but it will also allow processing of JPEG files. Did you process a raw file to get this image or did you process a camera JPEG? What camera are you using?

Joe

Welcome to TPF. I thought the portion of sky you allotted to the original image was pretty good, but the image was perhaps a bit too low in contrast. Early or late in the day, it's pretty common at the shore to have large areas that have just a few large areas of landscape that have fairly even, fairly similar tonal values, like all of the sky being one continuous tone, all of the water being of one continuous tonal value, and the headlands being of one tonal value, and then the near ground areas all being of basically the same value...overall that leads to an overall impression of "flatness", or low local contrast, and often low overall, total contrast range between the brightest and darkest objects. I think that's what's going on here: the actual lighting and time of day, and this location, is all being lighted by a giant wash of soft light, so your picture needs to have the blacks made just a tiny bit darker, and the mid-tone contrast needs to be a bit higher....it just needs a little bit more "snap".

I think you did a really good job of including the out of focus foreground grasses at the bottom of the frame. Again, I liked the original foreground/mid-ground/distance allocations. It's an unusual image, in that it's almost two photos inside of one frame; a near image landscape, and then a horizon that is split almost at the frame's mid-height, but well-balanced by the allocation of a pretty significant amount of sky; I think ProPilot's cropping off of the sky does not help the original image. ALthough the so-called rule of never having the horizon split the middle of an image is well-known, I think in this exact picture, the original composition, with that lens length, actually worked pretty well. I actually took quite a bit of delight at relating the foreground and the old trap against the mid-ground rocks as "picture #1", and then, viewing the mid-ground rocks against the seascape as "picture #2". VERY odd, but to me, a delightful, subtle composition. Rare, odd, unusual, seldom seen this kind of a two-in-one comp.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back