Hello From the Sunshine State!

beccaf91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I'm new the site and really looking for learning opportunities and constructive criticism. Also, if you have any online resources feel free to drop a few links. :D Thank you in advance.

Currently working with:
Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi)
Canon 18-55mm kit lens
Canon 50mm F1.8

I'm working on a deal with a guy and hope to add a Canon 5D Mark II and 75-300mm lens to my gear. Any suggestions on other items I should invest in for portrait phoography?

First of all, welcome.

Second, I'm a Nikon user. I could give a snide response like "get a Nikon" but we all know it's the photographer and not the equipment that makes the difference.

Advice for portrait photographers and equipment? Well...you're going to need some light and ways to moderate it. Buy a reflector (or get a honking big piece of foam core at Staples). It helps to have an assistant to hold the foam/core reflector or a stand/clamp to keep it in place. Some kind of light shaper like a snoot...the Rogue flash bender is a great, portable, versatile beast. Also, you'll want a soft box with a speed light to go with it. It's not just about having a flash/speed light, you need the soft box to soften the light...a soft light flatters, hides skin imperfections and scars, reduces age. Finally, if you're shooting indoors, it helps to have a backdrop (with a couple of clamps to hold it up). You can probably buy a light gray sheet at the Salvation Army.

Welcome aboard.

A tripod is almost always a good idea. Stick with the main brands and get a quick release plate (one for each body).

First of all, welcome.

Second, I'm a Nikon user. I could give a snide response like "get a Nikon" but we all know it's the photographer and not the equipment that makes the difference.

Advice for portrait photographers and equipment? Well...you're going to need some light and ways to moderate it. Buy a reflector (or get a honking big piece of foam core at Staples). It helps to have an assistant to hold the foam/core reflector or a stand/clamp to keep it in place. Some kind of light shaper like a snoot...the Rogue flash bender is a great, portable, versatile beast. Also, you'll want a soft box with a speed light to go with it. It's not just about having a flash/speed light, you need the soft box to soften the light...a soft light flatters, hides skin imperfections and scars, reduces age. Finally, if you're shooting indoors, it helps to have a backdrop (with a couple of clamps to hold it up). You can probably buy a light gray sheet at the Salvation Army.

I was already debating Nikon but I've had this camera and gear for years and it wouldn't be hard to switch. Just a little more costly than I'd like. I've worked with Nikon before and prefer them... but alas I'm just a poor, college student with 2 kids. I see everyone is recommending that I get reflectors and additional lighting. One of my close friends in Georgia is a very siccessful portrait photographer and I used to be her reflector holder. Lol. So I have some experience with that. The speedlight and softbox I don't have much experience with but I've seen them used at both my children's newborn sessions. I'll definitely look into adding those to my gear. Thank you so much! :D

Welcome aboard.

A tripod is almost always a good idea. Stick with the main brands and get a quick release plate (one for each body).
Awesome! Thanks!

First of all, welcome.

I was already debating Nikon but I've had this camera and gear for years and it wouldn't be hard to switch. Just a little more costly than I'd like. I've worked with Nikon before and prefer them... but alas I'm just a poor, college student with 2 kids. I see everyone is recommending that I get reflectors and additional lighting. One of my close friends in Georgia is a very siccessful portrait photographer and I used to be her reflector holder. Lol. So I have some experience with that. The speedlight and softbox I don't have much experience with but I've seen them used at both my children's newborn sessions. I'll definitely look into adding those to my gear. Thank you so much! :D

I think the debate over brands is mostly a waste of time. Most photographers won't use 10% of the capability of the body of a modern DSLR. I have always used Nikons. I have good friends who have always used Canon.

That said, I completely understand financial limitations. But if you're more comfortable using Nikon (especially since you intend to upgrade anyway) then consider going with Nikon. For portraits, you're going to need to find ways to manipulate light. You can get DIY reflectors by using foam core (though it's not very portable). Check out the Strobist website for a lot more info on lighting, especially DIY options.

Hey, welcome to TPF. If you get the 5D-II, then the 18-55 lens will be of no use on that camera. The difference between FF andf APS-C is a BIG one at close distances: there is less depth of field on FF than there is on APS-C for the "same picture". That means where you can shoot at f/2 on the XTi, the exact image on FF will likely have an out of focus chin or mouth or eyes or forehead, depending on how the shot is framed.

I'd buy a BIG reflector and a grip arm to help aim and stabilze it; a rectangular reflector, or a square one, or better yet, two, exactly identical reflectors so you can wire or tie them together, and make a free-standing reflector that will NOT absolutely require a stand and a grip arm and clamp. Round reflectors do not work well for this. With two identical rectangular or square reflectors, you'll be able to make a sandwich board ( capital letter A shaped) or a V-flat (hardcover book standing up on its bottom, opened in the middle) so you can bounce a big swath of light into the shooting area, while working without an assistant. Or fire a flash into the V-flat!

You can do a lot with a 50mm lens on Full-Frame or Crop-frame. On FF Canon, a used 24-105mm f/4-L IS USM lens would be good. I owned one, and this lens is widely available and is the only lens needed for 90% of family portraits. Yes, it's $600 or so, give or take, but it's very handy, and has the right maximum aperture to keep you from getting into jams with f/2.8 problems.

I think one thing the 5D-II would be great for is shooting High Speed Sync portraits, outdoors in bright sunlight, with wide-ish lens apertures, at fast shutter speeds, like 1/2000 to 1/6000 second, in that general range, with the lens at wide-ish apertures like f/2.8 or f/3.5. This is mostly done with longer lens lengths, and a small modifier on the flash, like the Rogue Flashbender mentioned above by JoeW, and an under-chin type of bounceboard reflector, and maybe another reflector off to the side and slightly behind the subject(s).

I think a person really, really, really needs to be fluent in how to use a speedlight or other flash. We've got good ISO cameras now, where ISO 800 or 1600 is VERY usable--especially in daylight or in open shaded areas...but if the eyes lack sparkle, often times the photos look bad. Buncing a speedlight into a large reflector, and using High Speed Synch can give that eye-sparkle very easily.

People are impressed with lighting gear: reflectors, lights, and stands. Every photographer has a camera. If you want word of mouth to grow, fast, use lighting equipment; it will make your pictures easier to shoot, and flat-out better. Even flopping a 42 x 78 inch reflector on the ground at the feet of two kids sitting on a picnic table will make the photos better!

This is not studio lighting: this is location shooting. Reflectors are mandatory. Flashes are almost-mandatory.

Last edited:
Some great advice here, especially from Derrel. Man, sandwich board reflector....that's brilliant. I'm going to have to steal that idea.

I also totally agree about bringing out the lighting kit. People are ALWAYS impressed by that. So many have an old DSLR sitting around at home and don't really know why they should pay someone, but when you pull out even the most basic umbrella on a stand they accept you as a "real" professional. And for outdoors, I used to try to stick to just natural light or maybe a reflector, but as soon as I saw what the combo of beautiful ambient light + flash could do, I fell in love.

Even if you're pretty sure you love natural light, it's important to learn how to use flash. A good photographer can get great shots in any situation, and "natural light only" photographers end up very limited in the time of day that they can shoot and the location.

As for the gear: If I were shooting Canon, my goal would be to eventually have one of their full frame cameras with the Canon 135/2. I love that combo. I've seen so many amazing photographers use it. They have other great lenses too, the first that come to mind are the 85 1.2 and the 70-200 2.8, but that 135...there's magic in that glass.

Anyway, resources! I think someone mentioned Creative Live, that's awesome. For someone just getting into family photography, I recommend the Me Ra Koh books. Her technical suggestions might be a bit too basic for you, but her main focus is about capturing the story of the kids and their stage of life. You seem to want to be a lifestyle photographer, and she has made a very successful living doing that. For technical aspects, I adore Roberto Valenzuela's books. Picture Perfect Lighting is excellent for everything from recognizing good natural light to using multiple flash set-ups. Also the blogs from Strobist and Neil Van Niekirk are amazing for lighting.

Good luck! I hope you stick around to get feedback and critique. Getting individual, personalized feedback from professionals can help more than any other resource, and you seem to be tough enough to handle it. :)

cherylynne1 said:
So many have an old DSLR sitting around at home and don't really know why they should pay someone, but when you pull out even the most basic umbrella on a stand they accept you as a "real" professional

Quoted For Truth!!!

"She even brought lights and s**+!"

Hey, welcome to TPF. If you get the 5D-II, then the 18-55 lens will be of no use on that camera. The difference between FF andf APS-C is a BIG one at close distances: there is less depth of field on FF than there is on APS-C for the "same picture". That means where you can shoot at f/2 on the XTi, the exact image on FF will likely have an out of focus chin or mouth or eyes or forehead, depending on how the shot is framed.

I'd buy a BIG reflector and a grip arm to help aim and stabilze it; a rectangular reflector, or a square one, or better yet, two, exactly identical reflectors so you can wire or tie them together, and make a free-standing reflector that will NOT absolutely require a stand and a grip arm and clamp. Round reflectors do not work well for this. With two identical rectangular or square reflectors, you'll be able to make a sandwich board ( capital letter A shaped) or a V-flat (hardcover book standing up on its bottom, opened in the middle) so you can bounce a big swath of light into the shooting area, while working without an assistant. Or fire a flash into the V-flat!

You can do a lot with a 50mm lens on Full-Frame or Crop-frame. On FF Canon, a used 24-105mm f/4-L IS USM lens would be good. I owned one, and this lens is widely available and is the only lens needed for 90% of family portraits. Yes, it's $600 or so, give or take, but it's very handy, and has the right maximum aperture to keep you from getting into jams with f/2.8 problems.

I think one thing the 5D-II would be great for is shooting High Speed Sync portraits, outdoors in bright sunlight, with wide-ish lens apertures, at fast shutter speeds, like 1/2000 to 1/6000 second, in that general range, with the lens at wide-ish apertures like f/2.8 or f/3.5. This is mostly done with longer lens lengths, and a small modifier on the flash, like the Rogue Flashbender mentioned above by JoeW, and an under-chin type of bounceboard reflector, and maybe another reflector off to the side and slightly behind the subject(s).

I think a person really, really, really needs to be fluent in how to use a speedlight or other flash. We've got good ISO cameras now, where ISO 800 or 1600 is VERY usable--especially in daylight or in open shaded areas...but if the eyes lack sparkle, often times the photos look bad. Buncing a speedlight into a large reflector, and using High Speed Synch can give that eye-sparkle very easily.

People are impressed with lighting gear: reflectors, lights, and stands. Every photographer has a camera. If you want word of mouth to grow, fast, use lighting equipment; it will make your pictures easier to shoot, and flat-out better. Even flopping a 42 x 78 inch reflector on the ground at the feet of two kids sitting on a picnic table will make the photos better!

This is not studio lighting: this is location shooting. Reflectors are mandatory. Flashes are almost-mandatory.

You can take what Derrel says about equipment to the bank--very knowledgeable and reliable and detailed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back