DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First from my shoot with Heloine!

Heloine_Daryll Morgan Photography-1.jpg

C&C welcome.

Model is nice, pose is nice, colour (on my screen) looks nice. I'd question the background, looks like old sheds or something, obviously they can often be good, but not sure about here

I agree. Something about the background, the crumpled towel, and the twisted straps feels a little like an impromptu "Hey baby, I can get you into the pictures..." pick-up strategy.

Lighting, color, dof, comp...all seem fine, but the devil is so often in the details.

Last edited:
And she needed to adjust the swimsuit bottom due to the way she's turned, as well as the straps to the top, they're all twisted. It looks like you need to see everything in the viewfinder before you release the shutter.

I don't like it, looks like a blonde version of my ex. Nightmare's to start tonight.

And she needed to adjust the swimsuit bottom due to the way she's turned, as well as the straps to the top, they're all twisted. It looks like you need to see everything in the viewfinder before you release the shutter.

Somehow you always find a way to be snarky. Anyways... thank you everyone for the feedback. I noticed the straps while editing and was instantly disappointed, but I think it's a decent image nevertheless.

Somehow you always find a way to be snarky. Anyways... thank you everyone for the feedback. I noticed the straps while editing and was instantly disappointed, but I think it's a decent image nevertheless.

Sharon can speak for herself, but I don't think she's trying to be snarky. And no one said it wasn't a decent image, but just suggested you pay more attention to details that are detracting from the overall image. You did ask for C&C.

Oh come on man.... put on your big-boy panties. That's not being snarky, but objectively telling you what's needed for improvement. I'll take it one step further and say that you need to look at the whole scene and check for issues before you even pick up the camera. That said, none of us are perfect and we all miss things. I recently did a session for a client and was all ready to pack it in when he noticed that his colour was a little skewed; about the same impact to the image as your twisted straps here. It was minor, but it was an issue, and I had missed it completely.

For me, there are just too many little details; the folded towel, missing fingertips, the way her bikini panty is sitting... when you're posing a model like this, make sure you don't let them rest on the bed/cot/whatever. While it's not bad in this case, it often causes breasts and arms to take on odd shapes. Have them use their core to support themselves, and arrange arms/legs/hands to suit. Yes, it will be uncomfortable, but... that's a model's lot in life.

I was distracted from the first view. I am so shallow. (limr. peg, and vintage now officially flip me off). I love them by the way....

I personally don't mind the straps or bikini bottom but suppose they're no nos for a professional shooting. I agree with some others that the background is too "industrial". My main concern though is the crop is very tight and could use more space at least at the bottom. Sounds like some pretty good professional advice above.

I am a hobbyist photographer at best and know nothing at all about portraiture. I would never have even noticed the straps or bunched material of the bikini. For some reason, cropping the legs is what I keep being drawn to. Is that a matter of taste or am I just wrong in being bothered by that?

Like the pose, the "come hither" look in her eyes, and the fact that they follow the viewer.

Criticism - Lighting is a bit too contrasty. Shadow side a bit too dark, and the highlight side a bit too bright (light on her forehead is a bit strong); Too much light on the tip of her nose. I would also come down a stop to increase DOF. I'd like to see entire body closer to the central focus. The background works for me. I'd straighten out the straps, as the twists are a bit distracting.

Great shot!

tirediron said:
Oh come on man.... put on your big-boy panties. That's not being snarky, but objectively telling you what's needed for improvement. I'll take it one step further and say that you need to look at the whole scene and check for issues before you even pick up the camera. That said, none of us are perfect and we all miss things. I recently did a session for a client and was all ready to pack it in when he noticed that his colour was a little skewed; about the same impact to the image as your twisted straps here. It was minor, but it was an issue, and I had missed it completely.

For me, there are just too many little details; the folded towel, missing fingertips, the way her bikini panty is sitting... when you're posing a model like this, make sure you don't let them rest on the bed/cot/whatever. While it's not bad in this case, it often causes breasts and arms to take on odd shapes. Have them use their core to support themselves, and arrange arms/legs/hands to suit. Yes, it will be uncomfortable, but... that's a model's lot in life.

Exactly....the styling on this is amiss...way to many details that are just not right. I'll add that her eyeballs look odd...not liking the way the eyes are rendered. But the bijini top and bikini bottom...just not enough attention payed to the way the clothing is set up on her...little details or major issues? In the context of a bikini top, the spaghetti straps simply must be adjusted properly...and the bikini bottom needs to fit right, or be shown from another angle.

As to the background: to me, this appears to be shot from closer than optimal, with a shortish lens: her nose looks rather big, and the backdrop looks too much in-focus...this is just not a well-established shot...sorry to rain on your parade, but this is not the kind of stuff you want to be shooting and showing except for C&C...I am not a fan of the lens focal length or the camera placement or the styling/propping of this shot. She's cute, but she is not "maximized" by careful lenswork. In fact, it looks like the short lens is making her nose look too big.

As pendinnis suggest as well: INCREASE thedepth of field; the foreground and the OOF of focus hip detract from the realistic showing of an attractive woman in a swimsuit. Look at the wqay her beautiful hipo-line is rendfered as out of focvus with a distracting double-line tendency from that lens...not pretty...and it's on avery important part of her. The OOF foreground? Needs more DOF...

the lack of depth of field and the exaggerated nose size are two cluies that make me suspect the lens focal length was too short, and the camera too CLOSE to her: depth of field is mostly affected by the camera-to-subject distance, more so than focal length or magnification, at least at this intermediate range...this is a shot that could have easily been improved by being shot from 30 feet away with a 300mm lens at f/5.6...

I don't know what you see that's wrong with the bikini bottom. I do see the twisted straps after you mentioned it, but overall, this is not the kind of photograph that is supposed to be high fashion. Very casual. Wrinkles in the towel and twisted straps are an expected part of the overall tone of this shot.

There is one thing that I am wondering about, and that is the color of her forehead. For some reason, I would expect her face to be about the same color as the rest of her, and it's not.

That is all.

Most reactions

Back