Heloine - Poolside/Bikini Shoot

Exactly....the styling on this is amiss...way to many details that are just not right. I'll add that her eyeballs look odd...not liking the way the eyes are rendered...

I noticed that about her eyes, also. The catch lights aren't symmetrical. This could be a natural "problem" with the model's eyes. I've seen it before with subjects who had cross- or wall-eye conditions. Sometimes you can edit the catch lights in post editing. I had a customer once, whose eyes weren't symmetrical, and the catch lights were corrected by the processing lab.

What I noticed Designer is the swimsuit bottom gaps (away from her body). Probably when she got positioned she moved one way and the bikini didn't. She probably just needed to reach back and give it a tug so it'd fit smoothly against her body in the front.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be snarky Daryl. It just seems like you often aren't completely seeing what's in the viewfinder or on the viewscreen before you snap the shutter button. I feel like I keep noticing that in your work. I'd suggest getting out and practicing more just with the camera, without models, in framing shots and 'seeing' everything that's going to be in the picture.

I'm sure everyone misses things at times. I hate when something is in the edge of the frame and I didn't see it. But I'm a longtime film photographer and there was no fixing those type mistakes later except to have an enlargement made and physically with a paper cutter crop the print down. Or just live with it. So I guess it was necessary to learn to frame shots pretty well. I think you just need more practice at that and noticing details.

I am a hobbyist photographer at best and know nothing at all about portraiture. I would never have even noticed the straps or bunched material of the bikini. For some reason, cropping the legs is what I keep being drawn to. Is that a matter of taste or am I just wrong in being bothered by that?
More like you just want to see more of her :p

And she needed to adjust the swimsuit bottom due to the way she's turned, as well as the straps to the top, they're all twisted. It looks like you need to see everything in the viewfinder before you release the shutter.

Take it on the chin my friend. The same sort of advice has been given to me on a number of occasions when I was expecting rave reviews and in every case it stung like lemon juice on a paper cut... but it was still true and I had to suck it up and learn from it.

Take comfort in the fact that people think you're skills are sufficient to warrant honest (sometimes uncomfortably so) critique and that they expect better of you. Personally I look forward to your posts because I know you're serious about your work (and find the best models ;) )

I have the perfect solution for the swimsuit issues!

okay, back to lurking i go...

Everyone has made good points.

I know Sharon gives good advice, but the way she said it basically sounded to me like, "use your eyes," which felt condescending. If that wasn't the intention, then I apologize for that, for I was mistaken. But that's how it felt.

I used my 50mm for this shot. But since it has been suggested to me several times, I actually did use my 70-300mm for this shoot as well. We didn't have enough space to zoom all the way in, but I did experiment with it, and will share some of those images later. Of all the shots, this one was one of my favorites, though.

Overall, I still like how the photo turned out. Not perfect, but to the untrained eye (which most of my audience is), it looks pretty good, and thus I'm okay with sharing it.

I know Sharon gives good advice, but the way she said it basically sounded to me like, "use your eyes," which felt condescending. If that wasn't the intention, then I apologize for that, for I was mistaken. But that's how it felt.

I used my 50mm for this shot. But since it has been suggested to me several times, I actually did use my 70-300mm for this shoot as well. We didn't have enough space to zoom all the way in, but I did experiment with it, and will share some of those images later. Of all the shots, this one was one of my favorites, though.

Overall, I still like how the photo turned out. Not perfect, but to the untrained eye (which most of my audience is), it looks pretty good, and thus I'm okay with sharing it.
Well at least she didn't say keep practicing. Geez dude, I suck at Photography and if Sharon critiqued me, I would be happy. Lighten up my brother.

Last edited:

I don't think she is trying to make you feel condescending. When Sharon critiques my images, she has a point and straight-on. I became a better photographer because of her.

Just relax and don't worry. Just keep shooting.

Y'all seem to think I'm all bent out of shape or something. I'm perfectly fine with it. Just wanted her to know how her comment came across to me.

Plenty of people have given critique here without it sounding that way.

And it would seem she didn't mean it that way so it's not a big deal.

That's the problem with texting, email, forum responses. It is hard to ascertain the real communication.

I'll just say I'd hit that and let it go at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'll just say I'd hit that and let it go at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back