HELP! A client refuses to pay for my services.

I started to comment on this the other day then never got back to it, but I think it's a situation where it can be necessary to figure out a way to work something out. If you're being paid I think that puts you into being in business or at least heading in that direction, and it seems better to have everything in writing so it's clear what the amount is that's owed and when it needs to be paid etc. It can help to be able to refer back to a written agreement as a reminder when needed.

If this was the young man that you posted about taking headshots last week and he needed money from his dad I wondered if he's underage (and would need a parent to sign off on it) or if he's over 18 and responsible for payment but may not be financially independent. Either way I'd consider options like accepting the $25 as a deposit and giving him a timeframe for the balance due to be paid (maybe a couple of weeks to allow for another pay day, or give it 30 days or til the end of August - I probably wouldn't want to leave it hanging indefinitely).

However you said something about trashing the photos and if the originals were destroyed that obviously doesn't seem to give you much of an option here other than he didn't pay the full amount and won't receive the photos. I think the potential problem with that is he paid what he might consider partial payment, what if he intends to pay the balance? Not much you could then I don't think if you have no pictures to provide.

Seems too that you'd commented about considering offering a reshoot because of the way the photos turned out (and got some critique). To charge for your photography I think it's necessary to be able to provide good quality photos on a consistent basis so clients will be satisfied and you can build your photography business successfully. I'm wondering if you aren't jumping into this rather fast and could use more skill development and practice first.

Even when you feel like you're in the right, there probably will be situations like this where even though the other person screwed up and didn't follow thru, or keeps cancelling, or wants something unreasonable, etc. it can be a matter sometimes of figuring out solutions to problems while maintaining your policies.

A verbal contract is still legally binding even if nothing is in writing (except for a few things that must be in writing, like real estate or transactions over a certain dollar amount - iirc, it's $500.) The only difference is that it's harder to prove the terms if they come under dispute.

Even so, there's no point in going to court over $75, a judgment which might not even cover your filing fees.

Live, learn, move on.

The only time I use contracts is when the client offers me one, I trust my clients, and they trust me to deliver the images they want. I assume the Op hasn't been in the "professional photo" business for very long. There won't be a winner coming from this photo shoot, best just leave it and walk away. As much as the Op needs the $75, it's just not going to happen. Take it as a life lesson, or a professional photographer lesson.

Well have you checked thumbtack to see if maybe you can find somebody you can pay a small fee to break both of his legs?

Lol - ok, well if not yup, I'd report him to thumbtack. If he did it to you he'll most likely do it to somebody else, so kind of your responsibility to help inform other thumbtack users.

Just what i was going to say, you could go round and slash all his tyres if he has a car

Most reactions

Back