Help a noobie with buying a camera plz

illbleed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, I'm a noob to cameras in general, and although I had a professional photographer tell me that I have a natural talent in it, I don't have much experience with cameras. I want to buy a digital photo camera for my bday (next month) to use it on an upcoming trip to Europe in the summertime, but I have no idea what to buy. I was looking at the Nikon D80, but it is a little too pricey for me. I want something that would be ready to take pictures, meaning including the lenses and everything, for around 500 bucks. I would like something that is of high quality, not overly complicated to use, and that won't be fully obsolete in 2 years. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. For an entry level DSLR I would suggest the Canon XSi or the Nikon D60. These are the newer models. If you want to look at an older version to save some money, look at the Canon XTi or the Nikon D40.

500 really is a tight budget.

Nikon isn't a practical option as their budget cameras truly are budget with limited AF options.

Canon have the XS (not XSi) which seems pretty limited looking at DPReview

Pentax have the new K2000 (K-m in Europe) which is probably the best option in this price bracket.

I want something that would be ready to take pictures, meaning including the lenses and everything, for around 500 bucks. I would like something that is of high quality, not overly complicated to use, and that won't be fully obsolete in 2 years.
You're asking a lot for only $500. Instead of a DSLR you might want to look at the Bridge/Advanced SuperZoom P&S cameras.

whats wrong with the d40 or has the other post put the world off of D40s

You might want to look at a used or refurb camera. I shoot Canons and have 2 XT's that I am very pleased with. I know some people tend to belittle the Rebel series as not rugged enough or feels like a toy. I personally don't throw my cameras around and have always thought of them as a toy. I just take care of them. As far as taking the pictures they are more than adequate. I bought a used XT with a kit lens for my son in January for $325.00 and you can probably get an XTi for a little more. I recently purchased a refurbished XSi (body only) from Adorama for $449.00. It would leave you a little money for some decent glass. I'm sure you could find similar deals on other brands as well. Just my 3 cents worth.

whats wrong with the d40 or has the other post put the world off of D40s

Well that thread is fairly true, especially faced with competition such as the k-m which frankly is a much better camera. Nikon makes awsome kit at the higher end of the market but it tends to be in the upper end of the prices for what you get. Therefore to put in a real low end camera that competes on price they've cut too many corners.. and going for a camera which doesn't work with all AF lenses just causes too many problems.

Cameras are just computers these days, saying you want something for under 500 that's not going to be obsolete in 2 years... Well, that pretty much limits out everything in that budget :p

I'd agree with the poster that spoke of bridge/advanced p&s cameras, a G10 or a Nikon Coolpix P6000

I would buy a Nikon D70 kit. They are going for very cheap nowdays, and the kit lens that comes with the D70 is optically one of the best kit lenses out there. The D70 itself is a bit of a hefty camera. Its pretty much a D80 with the sensor of a D40, but its an awesome camera. I would suggest getting the D70s on account of its improved autofocus, battery life, screen size, etc.

Anyway, the kit lens is amazing. Here a pic I took with it:

3135407613_d84921a989.jpg

Deals like this are great. Just keep an eye out. I disagree with posters who are reccomending PS cameras. PS cameras are far inferior to even a low end DSLR. The lenses is where most of the image quality lies, and on a PS camera you are stuck with one, and usually not a good one. Even if you have to buy an "obselete" DSLR, so what? I own an obsolete DSLR and couldn't be happier. Just because something is older doesn't make it worse, and there are still plenty of options in the DSLR world with a budget of $500. When describing a camera with a non interchangeable lens, the acronym "PS" stands for two things, and "Point and Shoot" is only one of them. They are not serious photographic tools. If you end up buying a PS camera, you are most likely going to dump it mighty quick, which is only going to leave you with wasted time and money you could've spend taking worthy photos. It is beyond me why anyone would reccomend a PS over a DSLR.

Last edited:
+1 on the D70 if you want to go Nikon. Else, if the Canon line doesn't have the autofocus motor limitations, that may be a better option than a D40/D60.

Note: This is a Nikon person encouraging you to consider something other than a Nikon. That's no small thing. :)

+1 on the D70 if you want to go Nikon. Else, if the Canon line doesn't have the autofocus motor limitations, that may be a better option than a D40/D60.

Note: This is a Nikon person encouraging you to consider something other than a Nikon. That's no small thing. :)

I agree, if canon is your thing than go for it. Try out some of their bodies and see how it feels. However, they are not without limitations. As someone else put it, they have the comfort and handling of a brick. The D70 is very comfortable to hold, and is built well. The Rebel series cameras look and feel like something straight out of a happy meal.

Most reactions

Back