HELP ASAP w/ BULK LOADING

Luke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
jst wonder if it was possible to do this:
buy a roll of film, say fuji 160 pro
shoot it, get it developed, then take the body of the cassette and a long with a seperate lid (from a normal reusable bulk loader cassette) make a cassette that is now reusable, and has a 160 iso DX coding.

i want this becasue the camera ill be using 160 film in needs DX and they dont make reusable 160 dx canisters,
cheers, luke.

the problem with factory cassettes is that the lids have been crimped on. I'm not sure how they remove them at the labs but I remember popping them off with a bottle opener and in the process you ruin the lid and possibly damage the cassette. In any case the factory cassettes don't have the lip to snap a lid on like with the bulk loading cassettes. You have to be able to take them on and off many times without ruining it.

I would examine the 160 film cassette with the lid off and try snapping a bulk cassette cap on it. Worth a try.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: maybe, if you get creative, but it's probably not worth it.

You might be able to look at the pattern on the Fuji casette, and try to duplicate it with a reloadable casette, alumimum foil, super glue, and some non-conductive paint. If I recall correctly, the squares are just the bare metal of the casette where no paint was applied. So, glue the foil to the reloadable casette in the right spot, then paint squares over the blocks that aren't shiny on the original casette.

JamesD said:
Short answer: no.

Long answer: maybe, if you get creative, but it's probably not worth it.

You might be able to look at the pattern on the Fuji casette, and try to duplicate it with a reloadable casette, alumimum foil, super glue, and some non-conductive paint. If I recall correctly, the squares are just the bare metal of the casette where no paint was applied. So, glue the foil to the reloadable casette in the right spot, then paint squares over the blocks that aren't shiny on the original casette.
ooh damn, why wouldnt it work? what if i replaced the spool and both ends, then id just have the body, and all other parts would be the reusable kind. I'd try but im overseas with limited film and i dont want to butcher a cassette for the sake of science.

There was a time in the past when you could buy sticky labels that had the coding imprinted. I have many reloadable cassettes (35mm) but none has the DX coding, so if I wanted to shoot with an automatic camera I would have to apply these stickers to the cartdridges. I dunno if they still make them.

B&H sells both DX and none DX marked bulk cassetts. I like the unmarked so i set my ASA to whatever I like so to compensate exposure/developments.

buy a reloadable cassette with DX on it, file it down to the metal and then paint over with whiteout to deuplicate the coding of 160?

stingray said:
buy a reloadable cassette with DX on it, file it down to the metal and then paint over with whiteout to deuplicate the coding of 160?
yeah not a bad idea, labor intensive though:p did you read that link on DX? thats why your camera always rewinds at 24 no matter what, because the exposure amount is on the dx.
ive got a roll of crap four hundred, ill see if i can do it today, good suggestion

Most reactions

New Topics

Back