HELP... black is not looking black

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.

I'm having a slight problem.
I have black borders around my pictures and the background of my webpage is black. However.. the background of my pictures looks slightly gray compared to that of the webpage.
When putting borders on in photoshop I picked web colors and picked #000000 (html says thats the background of my webpage too).

A friend suggested making the picture fade into transparent. This wont work either.

Any tips, suggestions, or step by step photoshop instructions you guys could offer would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanx in advance

Hmm, what colour space are you using in photoshop, and what colour space are you saving your pictures in ...

but then again, pitch black should be pitch black ... hmmm.

mid sharing an example image? does not have to be large, just black ;)

neea said:
Hey guys.

I'm having a slight problem.
I have black borders around my pictures and the background of my webpage is black. However.. the background of my pictures looks slightly gray compared to that of the webpage.
When putting borders on in photoshop I picked web colors and picked #000000 (html says thats the background of my webpage too).

A friend suggested making the picture fade into transparent. This wont work either.

Any tips, suggestions, or step by step photoshop instructions you guys could offer would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanx in advance

try outputting to a different file type.. png has transparency so that's a possibility.. use the save to web option in photoshop and tweak the jpeg settings.. if you've got them too low youcould be getting rendering issues that spread the "lightness" of the image out to the black.

ah.. I believe I did save to web.
If you look here this is my new homepage. From what I can see the black border on the picture matches or blends with the page background.
However, If you click on my name below the picture you will be taken to a contact page. This the picture I'm having trouble with.
I used Microsoft word for these two pages just to experiement till I get it how I want it.
I havent decided on what program to build the final page in.
The background colors are EXACTLY THE SAME according to Word.. so I'm blaming photoshop:confused:

neea said:
The background colors are EXACTLY THE SAME according to Word.. so I'm blaming photoshop:confused:

the background colour of the image is not pitch black, it is in RGB something like 2 2 2 ... not 0 0 0 .... this according to photoshop.

hmm.
i will have to investigate this.

thank you

Hi

I would guess that this is a compression issue. It tells you that it's total black before you save the picture out. Than after it applies the jpg compressor it changes the values slightly, resulting in the grey border.

Try using the Save for Web function in Photoshop and use the 2-view setting of the original and the current version. I think there should be a tool that let's you compare the color space. So choose your compression settings so it won't change the black...

Hope that helps.

simon

Thanx everyone for your suggestion!!!
I have found that if I pick photoshops 'preset' 'black' it is actually black.
Like when you change the canvas size is asks what color and I've been going 'other' or picking the background (which was set to #000000).
Other options are black and white. And this black really is black.

Thanx again,
You guys are great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back