Help- clueless husband

luckofthedraw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a xmas gift for my wife. I'm clueless when it comes to cameras. I have a desk job and I am able to spend sometime online doing some homework. What better research then asking knowledgable people about there field of expertise.

My wife is an "amateur photographer", doing cheaper family photos and the odd wedding while she builds a portfolio. She is currently rocking a Nikon D3100 f1.8 35mm lens, and stock 18-55. She also has some accessories: spare battery, uv filters, and a few others.

She loves the Nikon brand because of the warranty and they have treated her well with maintenance etc. She's currently looking to the D7000 as an upgrade in the future, but she has no idea I'm looking at cameras for her now.

Do I look to a new brand other then Nikon? How is the d7000 for the price of the camera, or for someone looking at seriously getting into photography as a business,is she better with a larger investment now like the D600? Or do I just stick with a smaller purchase for now, like a speed light or other helpful piece of equipment that can help better her skills until the new piece comes out in the near future?

I have no clue when it comes to these things, I'm just looking for some insight from people that have made good or poor purchases.

Thanks,

Clueless husband.:confused:

I'd look to the new D600 first and D7000 second. THe D600 will last her much much longer than going to a D7000. Especially if she's shooting weddings.
The D7000 is a fantastic camera, but if she's serious and going to continue it'll be another year and she'll be wanting to go to the D600.
The D600 is the newest release from Nikon.

Unless she's looking on stepping up to full-frame (FX) format, a D7000 is (if within your budget) would be a perfect upgrade for her. If she's wanting to go full-frame, then I'd say the D600.

DON'T buy anything. Go out to the Hallmark store, buy the biggest, fanciest Christmas card you can, and insert in it a cheque in the amount you're willing to spend and tell her that you're going to take her camera shopping on Boxing Day. LET HER BUY WHAT SHE WANTS/NEEDS! Unless you know exactly what the person wants, it's difficult to buy for them. Case in point above: Two experienced and knowledgable members have made distinctly different recommenations on what to buy her.

As far as cameras, I agree with what the others said. I think that adding another lens like the 80-200 2.8 would be beneficial. I'd also add a flash and some light modifiers. The Yongnuo YN 560 is a great flash that's super cheap. Add in a couple Cowboy studio wireless triggers and ephoto umbrellas and you have a low cost set up that will really help her photography. If taken care of, this is a cheap way to get started in off camera flash. It's not heavy duty setup, but it's good for someone on a budget or to learn with.

DON'T buy anything. Go out to the Hallmark store, buy the biggest, fanciest Christmas card you can, and insert in it a cheque in the amount you're willing to spend and tell her that you're going to take her camera shopping on Boxing Day. LET HER BUY WHAT SHE WANTS/NEEDS! Unless you know exactly what the person wants, it's difficult to buy for them. Case in point above: Two experienced and knowledgable members have made distinctly different recommenations on what to buy her.

I take my reply back. This is the answer you want.

I would recommend a nice flash! I don't shoot Nikon so I'm not sure what to recommend as far as model..

I would also suggest a telephoto for her (if in the budget and shooting weddings) something like 70-200 f2.8

Extra cards,battery's, lens tissues, neck/hand strap, filters and lens caps are always nice stocking stuffers. ;)

How about a camera store gift card then?

If you DO buy gear, make sure to keep the receipt, and ask about the store's return policy. Nothing would suck more than dropping $3k on stuff, then getting hit with a 10% restocking fee.

I would buy her a cheaper gift, and also a gift card to buy the camera or what she wants. If she is like me, she is jumping from wanting photo item to another. Also, in my opinion, most people don't really like gift cards as an only gift except for teenagers. You could buy her something personal to go along with the gift. For example, buy an affordable necklace and wrap it around the card. Melts most women's hearts.

THIS - 1000*this answer.

Expensive gifts are fantastic, but hobbies are very personal areas. What works for one person won't work for another and whilst its very commendable that you're willing to both spend and research on this gift the honest and best answer we can give you is to let her choose.
Otherwise you might spend a lot of money on a fantastic gift that is just not right for her and that means either something you've got to go to the shops for to exchange and fiddle around with getting a refund on; or you end up with an expensive gift that she doesn't really want to use (and that just puts strain on a relationship).

Let her make the choice and you be there to support her with the choice (and the back balance ;))

Damn, John is a smart man!
I'd go for an Adorama or B&H gift card!

Then I would put it inside a box and wrap that box. Put that inside a bigger box and wrap... till it's about the size of a small car.

Dear Clueless:

Get her a SB-910 speedlight. She will love it, and it will work on any Nikon upgrade that occurs in the future.
Or, get the AF-S Nikkor 55-200 mm G ED VR telephoto lens
Or a good tripod (NOT a "cheap" one)

ps: You can also get some "stocking stuffers" as well:

Remote shutter release (both IR and corded)
Shoot-through umbrella kit with stands and adapters
Reflectors
A small softbox attachment for the speedlight
The SC-29 flash extension cord
Colored gels for the speedlight

I second a 70-200 2.8 VR for her...... she won't be unhappy with it, ever.

Even cooler if you gave her a toy camera, and the card was inside. I love thinking of creativity ways to give gifts.

Most reactions

Back