Help!!! Is my lens crap, or is it my technique?

Here are 2 pics of a penny... one was trimmed... There is just a lack of detail. I took a bunch of pics of that penny... this was the best.
Maybe macro isn't for me and I should just stick with taking pics of sparrows... blah

IMG_1751trimmed.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

The pics are garbage because they are not well conceived or well lit. They are test shots. Noone ever won any awards with test shots. However, look at the detail in the penny, that is quite sharp. Also, there is a much deeper DoF so much of the grasshopper is still in focus along with the penny and the board they are sitting on.

Now compare that shot to my first shot of the Netherlands quarter. Take note of light direction and how contrast everything is. The background is a dark gray. Taking sharp and compelling photographs take more than point your camera and selecting an appropriate aperture.

The first step you should take is getting a firm understanding of the "exposure triangle". There are several tutorials available online.
Then start studying composition and what makes a photograph compelling.

Look at your shutter speed.... 1/5 of a second. At this speed, you're going to start having issues with mirror slap and tripod and camera vibration from hitting the button. The camera is EXTREMELY sensitive to movement at this magnification. You MUST use a timer release or a remote. You cannot touch the camera when taking the photo. Try again with mirror lockup (if your camera has it) and set the timer for 10 seconds. Make sure the tripod is on a surface that won't move if you do (like a patio deck). Also, wind can cause major problems. Keep trying. The light on the last 2 will sufice to bring out the detail.

Look where your shadow is, Your light is coming frombehind your subject. You need great light ON your subject coming from a good angle. Shadows are fine but placed correctly

Also, how are you firing your camera? Remote? Timer? If it is No to either of those than that's a problem also. Pressing the shutter with your finger on a tripod still causes shake that is visible in macro

Thanks bazooka... I guess I am just used to my powershot and how extremely simple it was to get nice shots. I will study and learn more. I was somewhat worried that the lens could be bad, and I wanted to take it back and get a new one before my time limit was up. i can fully accept that its all my fault that the pics suck and I am extremely happy to have a solution to my problem. thanks again to everyone that posted, was getting frustrating but its nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel

My pleasure. From what you've posted, I would say your lens is perfectly fine. Shooting macro with a P&S is much much different than with a dslr. Like was mentioned before, a P&S can afford to use a faster aperture because the dof on a P&S is much greater because of the sensor design. If you were trying to shoot a macro on your p&S at 1/5, even with a tripod on a non-moving subject, it would also be less than sharp if you are not using the timed shutter release.

Will you be posting new ones with your newfound knowledge? I'd love to see the results....

WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a acceptable pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS TO YOU GUYS!!!!! Awesome! I know its not a award winner, but it has some detail!!! SWWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTTTT.

Thanks everyone, all your advise was extremely helpful. I will buy ya'all dinner if you ever are out near the Smokey Mts!!! I am all smiles now:lol:

IMG_1753.jpg

I think I was shaking the camera too much from pressing the shutter. The "time delay" seemed to help alot.

I think I was shaking the camera too much from pressing the shutter. The "time delay" seemed to help alot.

Yeah, if you use a 2 second delay in conjunction with Mirror Lockup, you'll get stupidly sharp photos. Also what may have been detracting from sharpness was having your ISO on 1600. If your tripod is stable enough, shoot on the lowest ISO you can with a longer shutter speed to compensate.

I have seen some phenomenal images from the 7D and also from the lens you are using so you have quality equipment. I shoot a lot of macro but I never worry about getting blurry shots from slow shutter speeds because even though my usual aperture setting is f/16 I use off camera lighting. I shoot in manual with a shutter speed usually around 1/125 to 1/160. Off camera lighting is something you may want to consider if you plan to shoot anything with the slightest movement.

Jerry

Your macro lens is a great lens, pretty much like every other macro lens out there. Your technique is what is important.

Here's some 25,000+ examples with your same lens:
Flickr: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro

Yeah, I researched the lens before I bought it. Saw amazing photo's taken with it... then I got home and saw the garbage I was producing. It was all me, I don't know what I am doing lol. All a learning process at this point. I probably should have read more about macro photography before i attempted it, would have saved some frustration... and a dumb newb thread on the forum. All the suggestions you guys have gave have proved to be quite valuable, I am producing clearer pics in a matter a few minutes... I have spent the last 3 days taking garbage pics and blaming the lens. I just didn't realize the difference from taking macro and non-macro pics with a DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back