Help!!! Is my lens crap, or is it my technique?

Buck, It sounds like you are both stating the same thing as far as when, the selected aperture is in place(when the shutter fires)

unless you are disputing that a lens with a larger max aperture provides for a brighter viewfinder and also makes for better auto focus. because they do

So, I'm' confused with what you are disagreeing on

Buck, It sounds like you are both stating the same thing as far as when, the selected aperture is in place(when the shutter fires)

unless you are disputing that a lens with a larger max aperture provides for a brighter viewfinder and also makes for better auto focus. because they do

Your answer to why a macro lens has the ability for a larger aperture is so that the viewfinder will be brighter. I'm disagreeing with that "reason", specifically. It's not like they engineered a macro lens and then said, "Gee, it does macro great, but we can't see through the viewfinder. I guess we'll have to open up the aperture to allow that."

It has the ability to use a larger aperture because a macro lens isn't JUST for macro photography. At it's heart, it's a prime lens, and as a prime lens of that focal length, it's useful for ANY photography a prime lens of that focal length is good for, INCLUDING macro photography, which is what makes it special.

Well, It wasn't "MY" answer it was the other guy.

But, one of the advantages of any Lens design, not just Macro, That have a wider max aperture, is that they do allow for a brighter viewfinder. Having a Max Aperture of 2.8 or better provides for better autofocusing on cameras because their cernter focus point is snesitive to 2.8 light rather than 5.6 and it makes for more sensitive and precise AF. So it's not the reason they design Macro or any other lens for that matter. But it has advantages and both certain can be helpful in Macro or any photography.

All I'm saying is that his reason was just as valid as yours

OMG i'm so confused. I was given money for xmas to get myself a nice Macro lens and I dunno where to start! i thought i understood it, but clearly not! :)

OMG i'm so confused. I was given money for xmas to get myself a nice Macro lens and I dunno where to start! i thought i understood it, but clearly not! :)

It's really not that confusing. I see you shoot Canon and the Canon 100mm macro is an exceptional lens. If you don't want to spend that much money look into the Tokina 100mm or maybe the Tamron 90mm. The Sigma 105mm is also an exceptional lens. If you need something with more focal length check out the Sigma 150mm or Tamron 180mm. Three things affect DOF: Focal length of lens, aperture setting and distance from subject. Since with macro you will at times be mere inches from your subject you will need a very small aperture for greater DOF. I use from f/16 to f/20. The larger the maximum aperture is on a lens the more light that will reach the viewfinder during focusing. The aperture on the lens will be wide open while you are looking through the viewfinder manually focusing but will close down to the desired f stop setting during the shot. Hope that clears things up for you.

Jerry

I just wanted to come back and say that I have been getting much clearer images since I have been practicing a bit using the techniques suggested. I don't have a external flash yet, so I have been using the onboard flash and it has been helping also. I am going to go pick up a flash in the next couple weeks after researching them a little better.

Not the best pic, but at least it has some sharpness too it.
IMG_1966editted.jpg

Your answer to why a macro lens has the ability for a larger aperture is so that the viewfinder will be brighter. I'm disagreeing with that "reason", specifically. It's not like they engineered a macro lens and then said, "Gee, it does macro great, but we can't see through the viewfinder. I guess we'll have to open up the aperture to allow that."

It has the ability to use a larger aperture because a macro lens isn't JUST for macro photography. At it's heart, it's a prime lens, and as a prime lens of that focal length, it's useful for ANY photography a prime lens of that focal length is good for, INCLUDING macro photography, which is what makes it special.

Yup, it's the lens ability to focus close, that is what makes it a macro. You can use any good prime lens and reverse it, add extension tubes, or both. You can even reverse a prime lens and mount it to another prime lens form added magnification. It's just more convenient to have a lens that does it on its own.

Flight, I do believe you have the hang of it now. The image of the stinkbug is sharp. Your aperture of f/16, ISO200 and 1/160 shutter speed is typical of the settings I use for most of my shots. Now you know that neither your camera nor lens are crap.:D Congrats.

Jerry

Flight, I do believe you have the hang of it now. The image of the stinkbug is sharp. Your aperture of f/16, ISO200 and 1/160 shutter speed is typical of the settings I use for most of my shots. Now you know that neither your camera nor lens are crap.:D Congrats.

Jerry

Agreed. Well done! :)

*tear*
"That's mah boy!"

I just wanted to come back and say that I have been getting much clearer images since I have been practicing a bit using the techniques suggested. I don't have a external flash yet, so I have been using the onboard flash and it has been helping also. I am going to go pick up a flash in the next couple weeks after researching them a little better.

Not the best pic, but at least it has some sharpness too it.
IMG_1966editted.jpg

Thanks everyone! Here are two more I just took, I was testing different aperture settings... this Stink Bug great, he just stands there and lets me take pics... much more cooperative than the cockroach I attempted.

IMG_1972edit.jpg

IMG_1975edited.jpg

Jerry

Lmao, yeah... its certainly wasn't that the equipment it crap... was completely me and my technique. Live and learn

Most reactions

Back