Help me spend $750

malic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, I have a total of $750 to spend and I would like to upgrade from my canon rebel (film) to a digital SLR. I do this as a hobby only, but enjoy photography quite a bit.

Last month I spent $178 on film.

So it's time for me to move up to digital, but I really have no idea about digital cameras. From what I can tell the Nikon D50 is probably the way to go... but I am open to suggestions.

So is B&H the best place online to purchase a d50? I normally just go through a local photo store here in town, I normally get really good deals. But they don't have the d50 kit for less than $900 for some reason. I've never bought online and am a little scared honestly.

I tried ebay once and got burned for about $300... not going that route again.

Yeah, B&H is a very reputable and fast source with good prices. If you do decide to buy a D50 you can use the link to the site at the bottom of this page and The Photo Forum gets a small percentage of the sales which helps support the site. :)

I got a camera from beach camera as well, and everything went well. B&H is very reputable and highly reliable, so you can feel safe going with them too.

just whatever you do don't go with priceritephoto

If you already have a canon camera you can go with the D-rebel xt and
use your same lenses, which is a plus. The D50 is a very nice cam as well, but you'll need new lenses. It's all up to personal choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy both.

malic said:
Okay, I have a total of $750 to spend and I would like to upgrade from my canon rebel (film) to a digital SLR. I do this as a hobby only, but enjoy photography quite a bit.

Last month I spent $178 on film.

From what I can tell the Nikon D50 is probably the way to go...

First off what lenses do you have for your rebel? I would keep the Film Rebel as a backup and just get another canon DSLR.. uses the same lenses :)

That's just my 2 lincolns

When I started searching for my DSLR i was considering a Canon or Nikon till i remembered i'd have to buy all my lenses all over again... why do that when i've got at the bare minimum 1400 in lenses

If you have lots of expensive Canon glass then you may want to go with and XT. However, if you only have a Canon kit lens for your flim camera then by all means going with the D50 is a good choice. In fact, all of DSLR cameras from Canon and Nikon are good choices.

This is one of those rare things that spending more money doesnt get you better results. The more expensive cameras just give you more options, faster shutter speeds, and more durable bodies. But you still get great photos from the lower end bodies.

K

Okay, this is what it comes down to:

The Nikon D50 from B&H

My old camera is going to my brother, so I won't have the lenses anymore. So that leaves me with a choice...

The d50 kit? Or the body with a different lens? What do most people here end up doing?

buy the kit lens. you don't know much about photography, so it's a waste to drop cash on lenses that you wont need or know how to use properly. stick with the kit untill you are geting really good photo's, or you see a nice lens that will do what you want it to better then the kit.

Digital doesn't replace film cameras completely. I'd stick with canon and keep the film body just in case.

And if you live with your brother, it would only make more sense to get cameras from the same brand. You'll be able to borrow lenses and flashes from each other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back