Help me spend my christmas cash!

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got $150 in best buy gift cards (good thing they are a Nikon retailer) and have about $400 in cash that I saved up for a trip to San Diego that I will not be taking. So, I have $550 and $150 of it has to be spent at Best Buy.

I have:
Nikon D90
Nikkor 18-55VR
Nikkor 50 1.8
Sigma 70-300
Quantaray $40 tripod
Lowepro small bag (but nice!)
two batteries
clear filter for each lens

I have been thinking 70-300VR, nice tripod, sb600... and about a million other ideas. Some things I was thinking would take all the cash, and some I could get a few things....

if you were me and wanted to better your arsenal, how would you spend it?! It will probably be a LONG time til' I get this much to spend again (I don't end up with too much discretionary income.)

thanks!! btw, I love this site. People are so awesome and helpful. Not like a lot of other forums.

Last edited:
Just a thought, and I know this is not the most exciting option, but why not just hang onto the cash. You said that you were in financial stress. i would be inclined to hang onto the money to hopefully help me pull out of it. That being said, if you are going to spend it on camera stuff. I would get the flash. That has made a world of difference for me.

if u want to spend the money invest in a good flash, ie SB600 or SB900

Well, I cant keep the money on the gift cards, and the other $400 isn't going to make a huge difference. I saved the money with the intention of spending it anyway so I might as well have one fun thing.

Plus when I said financial diress, I just meant that I rarely have any disposible income. Maybe I worded that improperly.

Since I got my flash, it has changed everything for me! One never truely realizes just how poor the onboard flash really is until you drop on a real flash and give it a go!! My money would be on the flash...Having said that, you could just mail the money to me and I could put it towards my Visa...I was FAR too good to myself this Christmas!! Shame on me!!

Cheers!!
- Dan

yeah, but you live in Canada where you can get anything for eight cents on the dollar.

Stupid American dollar.

Well me, I personally love fast primes. Also, like others have said, lighting is critical. Another thing you might think about, is getting an sb-600 and then like a shoot through umbrella, stand, some gels for the flash and begin using your cameras CLS to experiment with off camera strobing.

I would say flash and umbrella and stand also. I love mine what a difference
Troy

What do you like to shoot? If I were you, it would be the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. Mount it and forget about your other lenses for a month and you'll teach yourself a few things. On the other hand, if you are an avid bird shooter, that isn't very good advice.

I agree with everyone else, you have everything you need except a flash. Buy yourself that SB-600, and maybe even a SB-400 for backup ;)

If that 40$ tripod is working for you well you dont need another right now, and why buy the 70-300vr when you have the sigma 70-300?

I say pickup a prime like the Nikon 35mm, and an SB-600. :D

Help you spend it? Sure!
Buy you and me a SB-600 each. :)

I'm with the "get the flash crew". I would definitely get the SB-600. I would get the flash and hang onto the rest of my money. Just because you have that much to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it. You have a nice set up for now. All you need is a good flash. Trust and believe a good flash makes a difference in the quality of your pics. Let us know what you decide.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back