Help. me.

minimalicia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so here's my story. Plain and Simple. :er:
Haven't picked up a camera since Photo I/II in college, and want to try dSLR because I have been in Manhattan every weekend and every time I despise not having a decent camera on me to document my visits.

My budget is tops $700. I want to work mostly with portraits and abstract landscapes, but knowing me I'll branch out to other modes. Also, i prefer t have the option of black and white but I can do that on my computer...I'm fairly saavy at editing.

What does Alicia purchase?

Hello Alicia, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest an 'entry level' DSLR from either Canon, Nikon, Sony or Pentax. You should be able to get a camera and 'kit lens' for that budget.

The models to look at are the Canon Rebel XTi, Nikon D40, Sony Alpha (A-100) and the Pentax K100D. They are all pretty good, but I'd give the edge to Canon & Nikon because of their whole systems. When you buy a DSLR, you are buying into the system of lenses and accesories, not just the camera...so consider that.

I suggest going into a good camera store and holding them all...play with them and try them out. The one that feels the best to you, probably is.

thanks for the input...Looked into the d40, looks very reasonable in price. the xti was much pricier... trying to figure out why right now. thanks for pointing me in a direction.

Also...should I avoid buying camera equip through ebay? seems like it might be an iffy process. A lot of these listings look scammy.

E-bay can have some good deals, but there is some risk.

Personally, I recommend B&H Photo. They are in NY, so you could go there, or order from their web site or on the phone. There is a link to them on the top right of this page. Adorama is also a good choice.

If you do random internet searches, you will find lower prices...but beware, there are plenty of scams out there and they fish for their targets by advertising low prices.

I'm not exactly sure why the D40 is cheaper than the XTi. The XTi is a better camera (IMO) and more comparable to the Nikon's D40X.

One thing to consider is that the D40 (& D40X) is not fully compatible with all Nikon auto focus lenses because it doesn't have a built in AF motor, like other models do. The Canon, on the other hand, is fully compatible with an Canon EF or EF-S lens. That being said, the Nikon can still mount Nikon lenses, going back much farther than the Canon, because Canon switched mounts in the late 80s when they went with auto focus cameras and lenses.

I own a D40 and like it just fine. I have shot an XTi and it was fine too. The kit lens on the D40 is superior to the one that comes on the XTi, but I wouldn't make a purchase decision based upon which kit lens is best (rather like the tail wagging the dog).

If all you are planning on doing is buying a camera with a kit lens and perhaps one other lens, then any of the major brands would do just fine for you (the Pentax system is a particular bargain IMHO). If you want to get more into photography, then the best choice would likely be Canon or Nikon.

I chose Nikon because I like their lenses better, but that is strictly personal choice, Canon lenses are fantastic as well.

So for someone who is a beginning I assume the D40 would be a wise choice being that i highly doubt paying the extra dough for the Xti will be worth it until I get my hands dirty and need to move onto something with more versatility.

thanks (again) for your help. I really appreciate it.

I should be in Manhattan the 13th... Will probably stop into B&H. I just hope they dont attack me and try and get me to buy $5000 things I dont need. I get consumer anxiety when that happens.

IMHO if you want a D40, here is what you need to get started (and nothing else):

The D40 Kit
1 52mm UV Filter
1 or 2 High Speed SD Card (1GB or 2GB)...
A padded camera bag (nothing fancy needed... in fact, depending on the neighborhoods you walk in, the less fancy the better).

You don't need an extra battery (they may try to sell you one) or anything else to get you started.

I agree with Sabbath...they are both fine cameras. If you can get one for significantly cheaper, and you don't need or want the features that the expensive one has...then it's a good idea.

Either way, it's hard to go wrong with any of the cameras mentioned...they are all pretty good.

Thank you both very much. Hopefully B&H will have those things at a reas. price. I'm looking into used/refurbished hopefully B&H will carry some of these things used?
(I'm trying to stay within my budget for now...myabe I'll buy one thig at a time starting with the kit and mem card)

If you look used, look at the D70 in the Nikon line... they are really good cameras for the money, and don't have the lens restrictions that the D40 has.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back