Help My Brain Hurts!!

Tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tls-photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:confused: I want to buy a DSLR camera, I have never owned one. I want to be able to take and sell photos of my travels. I have been told by many I should give photograpy a try. I currently use a RC Airplne to take low level shots of various landmarks with a Pentax S4 and S5. I want to expand my work a bit into pro kind of stuff. Put all things aside and in black and white please tell me what DSLR I should buy. I am not rich so keep it cheap. Landscapes and portrits. A little macro in there to.

With that said could someone please help me.

How about the Olympus Evolt E-300 or 330 or 500

The Evolt's and Rebels way too small for me, and that's why I suggest Nikon for anyone looking for inexpensive SLR's. The Evolts have a 2x magnification factor on them, so wide angle photography can really be troublesome on them.

I'm very biased and I think you should shoot for a D50 while they are still being sold. I know a bunch of pros that use it as a back up body and it will work with any AF lens that nikon has ever made.

Don't worry about it being 6MP, i've made perfect 12x18 prints off of my d70, and the difference between 8 and 6MP is almost non-existent.

My suggestion, go to a local camera shop that sells both Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Olympus and hold the cameras yourself. Get whatever feels the best and fits your budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=381587&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

You can't go wrong with Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D-50, or Pentax K100d or K110D (cheapest of them all). These are the lowest priced models for each major brand. They all have similar features. The Nikon and Pentax allows you to buy used lenses even manual focus and use them (of course in manual). So they give you little more options than the Canon. But they are all so close in performance its really a toss up. Basically go to a camera store and pick them up. Check out the controls and how your hands fit them.

I say Nikon is the lens quality front runner. But since your on a budget you will not be buying the best lenses anyway. Canon has the advantage with new technology. But again since you are on a budget you will not be buying a new one every year. Pentax has the advantage on price. You get a good quality camera for a good price. The Pentax K110D is the lowest priced DSLR on the market right now from a major company. The K100D adds immage stabilization for about $100 more and may just be worth it.

For budget minded people who want to buy into a good "system" I think Pentax is the front runner.

And before you buy. Make sure you get one from a reputable company. Don't automatically go for the cheapest price. There are many stores that advertise a low price but then get it back with bait and switch tactics. Or if you refuse to buy any other over priced accessories or warranties (sometimes charge you for items that are supposed to come with a camera). An instock item all of a sudden is back ordered!

I say for a beginner the choices are in this order. For a person who wants to be a good photographer but not necessairly turn to a pro for 100% of income.

1 Pentax K100d.
2 Pentax K110d.
3 Nikon D50 (have one and works just fine)
4 Canon Rebel XT (have the next model up and also works just fine)

Choices for a beginner that will work hard to turn pro in the near future!

1 Canon Rebel XT
2 Nikon D-50 (very close even tie with Canon, reason Canon is first is I think they have better research / spend more on new technology)
3 Pentax K100d (very good camera brand but just short of full pro caliber right now).

Tyson said:
With the d-50 or XT what kind of filters should I buy to go with it?

As for filters it really deppends on what your taking pictures of or style of photograph your trying to get. There are so many filters for special shots or situations it would and does fill several books.

Alot of people buy inexpensive UV, clear, or skylight filters to have in front of their lenses just for protection. I don't do this. I make sure that I always have lens caps on.

The one filter I use all the time though is a circular polarizer. I think just about anyone who takes outdoor pictures should have one. And there is a quality difference between very cheap ones and decent ones. I have a couple top of the line ones, and a couple cheap ones. There is a noticeable difference between them.

This is real interesting, I never knew a UV filter need to be used. It hurts the camera with out one I presume.

Tyson said:
This is real interesting, I never knew a UV filter need to be used. It hurts the camera with out one I presume.

No doesnt need to be used. Just blocks some UV light. Its a cheap filter so people buy it for protection more than filtering.

How about the Olympus Evolt cameras, they don't seem very popular? Why?
Never mind I see the above!!

I am not knocking the evolts. They are probably realy good cameras. I just think they have a few more limitations than the other Major brands. Now if you think that an evolt would be usefull to you for the next several years. By all means get one. Alot of people have real strong brand loyalities in photography. I was Nikon all the way until 2 years ago. Now I have backed away from that and try and look at new equipment without bias. Olympus has been around a while. But unlike Nikon or Pentax they have not kept the same lens mount. That is the main reason I say Nikon or Pentax normally. I advise Canon if someone is absolutely set on being a pro and can afford good equipment. As I think Canon will probably always be in the lead when it comes to new technology.

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera w/ 28-80mm & 70-300mm Lens
imgDropCK_15x16.gif
$418.13 $19.001h 56m No battery or charger.
Almost a good deal A?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tyson said:
Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera w/ 28-80mm & 70-300mm Lens
imgDropCK_15x16.gif
$418.13 $19.001h 56m No battery or charger.
Almost a good deal A?

It does come with a battery and a charger. It comes with everything a new one comes with. Except the warranty is not Nikon it is a Mack Warranty. Nikons warranty expires after 90 days. The 1 year is a Mack warranty.

But I got my D-50 from Cammeta (no lenses though). I would expect and bet this auction price go up at the last second. I paid $450 just for the camera. No problem what so ever buying from them. The lenses are lower end of lenses but will be just fine until you learn a bit more. I bet it goes toward the $600 before it ends. Still would be a good price then.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tyson said:
You were right 511 now.

$600 would be good price. $650 and over might as well get a new one. The 2 lenses are about $200 for the 2 of them new!

The camera is $500 new from very reputable stores (B&H and Adorama). So for $700 plus shipping you can get your ebay items NEW. Not a refurbished one. Although you could not tell my d-50 was refurbished (other than the box).

What do you think is the best way to learn SLR shooting. I learned to fly rc and do ap just by reading forums. But I want to produce calender quality photos. Prdon th spelling I just got off work and am heading to bed ( I work 3rd)

Most reactions

Back