Help photographing some "interesting" objects NSFW

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by Butterman, May 11, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A sinister plan, indeed! LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Does Leica or Manfrotto make one?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I did a Google search for "Manfrotto penis pump"... Manfrotto DOES make a vacuum CLAMP..but not a vacuum cylinder for "male enhancement".

Leica allegedly (meaning, I heard this from a friend of a friend's uncle's second cousin's best friend) explored entering the product category in the mid-1960's, but the red dot company is known for its conservative approach. Leica management declined to enter the market for vacuum cylinders after an April 1, 1965 meeting in Germany, at a Howard Johnson's in Berlin.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Butterman

Butterman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ::UPDATE::

So after working there for a few weeks now and reviewing more of their website and deconstructing their PSD files it's safe to say that 75% of the products are illustrated over an existing photo for reference. The previous photographer was an expert graphics artist and would use the existing shape and paint over everything like an artist more or less. The only photos that are "normally touched up" (IE - removal of dust/scratches/throw in some fake gradients here and there, etc) are some of the non reflective/non-clear products. Everything else it completely painted over losing all information taken in the actual photo. It's much like a lot of the jewelry photography you'd see shipped over to India or China for retouching and your entire product is just painted over with the brush tool and gradients using the existing shape.

As for the clear tube of the pump its an illustration that is then set as a multiply later in PS to then become see through. As that sort of work is not my wheel house whatsoever, I'm trying my best to learn as fast as possible to meet their standards, but am also trying to swing the art direction to more of an in hand look preserving as much of the product as possible just being well photographed and cleaned up. It's been a stressful journey so far but we'll see where it goes.

Anybody with similar experiences please feel free to share. It's been worrisome as a photographer the last couple of years watching more companies becoming so much more reliant on completely fake renders and illustrations to advertise their products rather than anything similar to what you get in hand.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    an in hand look

lol

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Those Taiwan retouching houses offer low prices and quick turnaround.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Butterman

Butterman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, an image that still shows any information captured in camera vs an an entire illustration drawn over it.

Otherwise why does commercial product photography even exist in the first place?

8. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As I suspected in my previous post, it looks too fake to be straight photography.

That sort of approach is not permissible in N.A., there are advertising standards that must show the product as it is in real life.

Good luck trying to please this client, they already have an impression of the previous art work. Communication with them that illustrations are not your forte and they should show the product as the buyer sees it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    photo-realistic catalog "illustration" can look pretty good

10. Butterman

Butterman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks dude, I appreciate it. We'll see, but I doubt they'll change their look to suit the skills of a still life photographer they hired vs just hiring the right person who's more heavy into graphics/illustration now that they are realizing the overwhelming majority of their website images aren't utilizing much to any actual photography.

These are two other examples of what their website images look like. They'd probably save a lot more time just rendering these in 3D in Blender or Keyshot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My capabilities lay in these shots below which are my work. The toothbrush is still a work in progress, however. I'll see if I can make this work for them but I'm not holding my breath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  11. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well contrasting back ground. With the cylinders one could merely hit the numbering with a different color marker...

With what Solidworks or even Autodesk Inventor could in 2008 they need to do some work on their rendering

12. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I'd say your skill level is more than enough to accomplish the task. The issue will be the actual products and do they represent what the client is advertising. I'd also consider budget, you know as do I how long it takes to do quality product work on real products. If you are happy with the budget then do what you can as long as the client understands illustration is not photography and they shouldn't expect that.