Help! PLEASE Help! How to take photos through a telescope.

AMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm an "aim and shoot" camera man. Through many years I've always been able to more or less capture what I see with a little digital aim&shoot camers. Now I have a Canon A3350. With this little camera I've been quite satisfied to be able to "capture the moment". That was until today! :er::er:

I wish to explain how to use a rifle telescope to make a fairly accurate estimate of the distance to an object of known size. The particular telescope has some very thick as well as finer crosshairs. In particular it is known that at 100 meters distance a certain animal will just fit in between the bold crosshairs. Then at twice that distance the same animal will fit between one bold edge and the actual cross, i.e. 1/2 of the distance between the ends of the bold part of the croshairs.

I have verified this by visually looking at a known size target at 100 and at 200 meters. So, If my eye can "see" an object - magnified a few times- by looking at it through a telescope, then my little camera should be able to also make a picture of the same object through the telescope? With two pictures taken at 100 and 200 meters, I can show other how this works! Fantastic! However, tell,try as I might, all that I succeed in is making poor quality photos of the "inside" of the telescope. My scientific "intuition" gone totally wrong? Or can it be done?

Can anyone explain (i) if it can be done, or is it impossible? (ii) How to do it properly if it can in fact be done?

Thanks a million!

Andrew McLaren

It sounds like you need to manually focus. I don't know if you can do that with your camera. Alternatively focus on the object of interest, hold the focus by holding the shutter button half way down, position the camera to take the photo through the scope then snap it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back