Help! Problems with WiFi!!!

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my wifi works great. 5 TVs, 5 phones and an iPad but.....

When ever I try to go online on my desktop the Wifi shuts down and does not work on anything, not even the desktop!!

Damn I'm annoyed!

Thoughts?

Jake,

I had a desktop at the house that was on windows 7 and we were having issues with it staying connected to the wifi. I upgraded to windows 10 and it has been much better and the wife says that it's faster. (go figure).

Not sure if that will help or not. Also, is there a limit to the # of items that your router can handle?

NOTE: I'm not that technical with my wireless system at home.

When ever I try to go online on my desktop the Wifi shuts down and does not work on anything, not even the desktop!!

Damn I'm annoyed!

Thoughts?

Sounds like a strange issue. You may need to go into your router settings and see what's going on.
I hesitate to say this since it's not directly dealing with your issue BUT, how close is your desktop to your router? If it's close, why not go wired with an ethernet cable? If it's not close to your router, instead of going wireless, maybe try using Powerline adapters. Top five power line adapters: When Wi-Fi fails you - CNET

If there is nothing else 'on', does your wifi shut down?

Router Charts - Maximum Simultaneous Connections

This is the bottom end to that chart and it seems that any router can handle more than your load.

upload_2015-11-17_12-39-26.png

Jake,

I had a desktop at the house that was on windows 7 and we were having issues with it staying connected to the wifi. I upgraded to windows 10 and it has been much better and the wife says that it's faster. (go figure).

Not sure if that will help or not. Also, is there a limit to the # of items that your router can handle?

NOTE: I'm not that technical with my wireless system at home.

We've had parties with 20+ people on the Wifi with no issues. Only when I try to go online with the pc does it shut down.

I haven't updated to 10 because I heard there was some bugs going on. Maybe I should do that too.

Damn I'm annoyed!

Thoughts?

Sounds like a strange issue. You may need to go into your router settings and see what's going on.
I hesitate to say this since it's not directly dealing with your issue BUT, how close is your desktop to your router? If it's close, why not go wired with an ethernet cable? If it's not close to your router, instead of going wireless, maybe try using Powerline adapters. Top five power line adapters: When Wi-Fi fails you - CNET

The distance shouldn't be an issue I use a pretty decent setup. I usually get a few bars til the eND of my driveway, lol. If I was closer I would definitely use the ethernet cable to connect.

Have you reboot your router?

I'll have to try that again.

If there is nothing else 'on', does your wifi shut down?

Router Charts - Maximum Simultaneous Connections

This is the bottom end to that chart and it seems that any router can handle more than your load.

View attachment 111615

I haven't tried haven't nothing connected before. This is a new issue over the past couple weeks.

Besides updating all driver (from maker sites) you might want to read this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2075392/wifi-adapter-repeatedly-turns.html

I'll give that a read and check my drivers, thanks.

Well I'm posting this response from my pc so I may have solved the issue but we'll see. I changed how the Pc controls the adapter, via that link that Lew gave me, to save power but I am still a bit confused as how the adapter in my pc would shut down the router when turned on or in use but would not affect the router when "sleeping" or shut down.

Whatever!, As long as it's working again I don't really care though. Thanks for the quick responses and help every one.

The link I posted would help you out with distance and stability. Wherever your PC is plugged in, a powerline adapter can be plugged in and use your existing home wiring to transfer data. Many people are still not aware that can be done.

I'm wireless on mobile phones and Ipad only. The TV, Playstations, Xbox, and computers are all wired. Powerlines can be used in any room. One directly into your router, the rest in any outlet in your home. Just FYI.

Well I'm posting this response from my pc so I may have solved the issue but we'll see. I changed how the Pc controls the adapter, via that link that Lew gave me, to save power but I am still a bit confused as how the adapter in my pc would shut down the router when turned on or in use but would not affect the router when "sleeping" or shut down.

Whatever!, As long as it's working again I don't really care though. Thanks for the quick responses and help every one.

Good, great.
I wanted to add, altho it may be unnecessary, that the automatic update of drivers may not be sufficient.
I was having viedo card problems and, altho the automated check of drivers said the correct driver was in place, I went to the mfg's site and DLed their newest version and that fixed all problems.

Try disconnect everything. (Your phones and tvs.) Disable wifi on you iPad. Try rebooting your router and run your desktop again and see what will happen.

Most reactions

Back