HELP! SDHC Card. My Nikon Camera says: Card is not Formatted. Format the Card. The card has pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Awanderer, Nov 3, 2015.

1. beckylynne

beckylynne TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I never use the same cards for more than a year. I do weddings and I'm paranoid about card corruption. I keep the older cards for random stuff that isn't the end of the world if I lose. If these images are crazy important like a wedding or something I would not attempt to remove them yourself. I would bite the bullet and take them into a professional to remove....it won't be cheap but if they are important it will be worth it.

2. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I hope she tried an older computer.

When I was restoring Harddrives I found 64bit OSes weren't good for recovery of older OS based disks. So I would have 2 or 3 different version computers just for disk recovery.

When one of my SD cards had an issue from my d600 my PC (Win7-32) wouldn't recognize it either. But when I put it in my d7000 it did, so I USB'd downloaded the pictures. Reformatted the SD and all has been good since then. I also format the SD cards in the camera now quite often.

At this point if she's stuck, I hope she took it someplace.

Of course, we may not hear from her again as she joined yesterday just for this post to get her pictures.

3. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    Of course, we may not hear from her again as she joined yesterday just for this post to get her pictures.

Awanderer was last seen:
    Yesterday at 4:29 PM

4. Didereaux

Didereaux Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Nope read that. There are several recovery programs for just that situation. My reference was to the comment about searching Google for such apps. I was perhaps remiss in not alluding to the specific comment, but then again the error may have been to overestimate the intellectual capacity of some readers. oh well.

5. Awanderer

Awanderer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok so I went to Sandisk website and ran a scan of pics that can be recovered. They all showed in the preview. If I want to get the pics back with Sandisk software, I have to pay $40. Is there any other software that can do this for free or at least cheaper?

6. Awanderer

Awanderer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This was a brand new card. My luck!

7. beckylynne

beckylynne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ugh....I feel for you I really do.

8. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't know what your time and stress are worth, but given the level of urgency you've conveyed and the level of effort you've already put into this, $40 sounds like a bargain to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sec

sec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

10. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    I think you found one that works.

Apparently the free one's didn't work.
    Now is it worth $40 for you ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. beckylynne

beckylynne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I paid $2,000 once to have images pulled off a fried hard drive.....$40 bucks is a steal. If you are not willing to pay that then they aren't important.

12. sec

sec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Ok I don't want to hijack somebody else's thread, but reading all this has got me worried.

I have never formatted a card nor would I know how or even what it means. I know my 6D told me to do it when I first got it, and possibly the T3i, but I don't remember. As is typical for me, if it isn't necessary (meaning I can take pictures without doing it) or I don't understand / know how, I just don't bother with it. So far I've never had a problem. I even take the card out of the 6D and put it in a point and shoot from time to time.

I would ask if I should format my card, but I already know the answer I will get to that question. So I will ask is it absolutely necessary? I don't understand why I have never had a problem and the OP and others, who clearly know more than I do have. Just trying to avoid this problem in the future.