HELP! Shooting my first wedding in May

MrsMoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone I've grown up with is getting married in May
I'm familiar with the place she's getting married in and where she's having the reception, but I'm not sure how to go about taking the photos!

I'd always imagined shooting a wedding like a reportage, taking photos of everything, getting ready first dance etc
But I'm not sure this is going to work in this case! Anyone got any ideas on how to give this lovely couple photos to remember?

I wont have any additional lighting to whats in the building, but she's getting married in the day time!

Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated :hugs:

I was looking on ebay for portable softboxes and found ones that attach to your camera flash, I think that might be a good investment for the big day!

Feel free to do a search on this site... you will find a softbox is the least of yoiur worries... and that weddings are *THE* most demanding form of photoghraphy anywhere and that most novices will do a mediocre job at best.

If you really care about your friend, tell them to get a professional to do it right... after all, this *is* a once in a lifetime event that will never happen again, they deserve the best. Matter of fact, you don't even have the minimim lenses required in that department to do one aspect of the wedding, much less a complete one.

Tupperware is for the kitchen.

Perhaps you could give us a few hints about your experience and gear that we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

For instance, which f2.8 lenses do you own, telephotos or long zooms in 2.8, what's your backup body, backup flash, backup storage cards and the like?

Are you a full manual shooter or do you mainly use the Aperture setting? portraits or landscape or sports or macro?

Things like this.

Also, who is going to assist? It takes forever to do a wedding alone. The cake gets stale and the Maid of Honor usually want's out of those shoes. :)

Feel free to do a search on this site... you will find a softbox is the least of yoiur worries... and that weddings are *THE* most demanding form of photoghraphy anywhere and that most novices will do a mediocre job at best.

If you really care about your friend, tell them to get a professional to do it right... after all, this *is* a once in a lifetime event that will never happen again, they deserve the best. Matter of fact, you don't even have the minimim lenses required in that department to do one aspect of the wedding, much less a complete one.

She wants me to do it, and it'd cost far too much for her to hire one, she alreay has one kid and another on the way, and a flat & wedding to pay for, at least if I do the photos, she has one less thing to worry about!

I was looking on ebay for portable softboxes and found ones that attach to your camera flash, I think that might be a good investment for the big day!
I agree with what has been said...don't worry about flash accessories at this point, it's the least of your concerns.

Convincing them to hire a pro photographer, probably is the best case scenario but that may not be feasible and it may be you or nobody. We all have to start somewhere, so don't let your inexperience hold you back...just do your best. That being said, make sure that they are fully aware of your capabilities and that you are fully aware of their expectations. And get an agreement in writing and get it signed. More than a few friendships have been destroyed over something like this.

A few quick notes:
Backup gear is important. If your camera (flash, lens, battery etc.) stops working, you can't just say 'Sorry'. This is their wedding!
A fast lens will really, really help. If you don't have one; beg, borrow, steal, rent one.
Probably the hardest part of shooting a wedding, that rarely gets talked about, is dealing with the people. If you are taking group shots, you need to have the right people there and you have to have their attention. You may need to take charge. Even if it's only a shot of the bride...it may be hard to get a good shot if she isn't or won't listen to you.
Many photographers do shoot weddings 'reportage style'...and that's fine, if that's what you and they want. This style is usually less intrusive, but not necessarily easy.

Be prepared and have a plan...but more importantly, be able and willing to adapt to the events of the day.

Tupperware is for the kitchen.

Perhaps you could give us a few hints about your experience and gear that we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

For instance, which f2.8 lenses do you own, telephotos or long zooms in 2.8, what's your backup body, backup flash, backup storage cards and the like?

Are you a full manual shooter or do you mainly use the Aperture setting? portraits or landscape or sports or macro?

Things like this.

I only own one camera (D60) with the standard lens that came with it. I've managed to get some really good photos of people in the studio with it. I wouldn't say I'm a full manual shooter, I tend to use auto-focus coz I haven't had my eyes tested yet! I have a 4Gb HC card, and a 1Gb normal SD card. I have done random bits of photography for about 2 years, nothing major! I was doing a course this year, this taught me about shutter speed, aperture, lights etc

Also, who is going to assist? It takes forever to do a wedding alone. The cake gets stale and the Maid of Honor usually want's out of those shoes. :)

I see what you mean, but I think the wedding is gonna be at a regestrary(sp?) office, one in our local town, so it's not gonna be a massive, massive event. I'd probs end up doing it on my own, most amature photographers I know wont shoot a wedding coz it's too stressfull!

Last edited:
I agree with what has been said...don't worry about flash accessories at this point, it's the least of your concerns.

Convincing them to hire a pro photographer, probably is the best case scenario but that may not be feasible and it may be you or nobody. We all have to start somewhere, so don't let your inexperience hold you back...just do your best. That being said, make sure that they are fully aware of your capabilities and that you are fully aware of their expectations. And get an agreement in writing and get it signed. More than a few friendships have been destroyed over something like this.

A few quick notes:
Backup gear is important. If your camera (flash, lens, battery etc.) stops working, you can't just say 'Sorry'. This is their wedding!
A fast lens will really, really help. If you don't have one; beg, borrow, steal, rent one.
Probably the hardest part of shooting a wedding, that rarely gets talked about, is dealing with the people. If you are taking group shots, you need to have the right people there and you have to have their attention. You may need to take charge. Even if it's only a shot of the bride...it may be hard to get a good shot if she isn't or won't listen to you.
Many photographers do shoot weddings 'reportage style'...and that's fine, if that's what you and they want. This style is usually less intrusive, but not necessarily easy.

Be prepared and have a plan...but more importantly, be able and willing to adapt to the events of the day.

I took the first photos of their first kid, so they've seen some of my work.
I'm hoping that coz I know pretty much everyone that'll be at the wedding I'll be fine in telling them what to do :thumbup:

I was thinking of a flash diffuser so that the flash isnt so harsh, nothing too expensive!

What do you think is the bare minimum required for taking these kinda shots? I think I know someone who has one of them lenses

I was thinking of a flash diffuser so that the flash isnt so harsh, nothing too expensive!
Do you have an accessory (hot shoe) flash? Or you are talking about the camera's built in flash?

The built-in flash isn't a good option...and adding a 'diffuser' to it, really isn't going to help. Besides being underpowered, the main problem with the built-in flash is that it's on the camera and only points forward...thus hitting your subjects straight on, giving you 'flat' lighting. With a good hot shoe flash, you should be able to angle the flash to bounce off of walls or the ceiling...which is a much better option that adding a cheap 'diffuser'.

Do you have an accessory (hot shoe) flash? Or you are talking about the camera's built in flash?

The built-in flash isn't a good option...and adding a 'diffuser' to it, really isn't going to help. Besides being underpowered, the main problem with the built-in flash is that it's on the camera and only points forward...thus hitting your subjects straight on, giving you 'flat' lighting. With a good hot shoe flash, you should be able to angle the flash to bounce off of walls or the ceiling...which is a much better option that adding a cheap 'diffuser'.

I do have a hot shoe, and a yellow lead to go from the camera to the lights, but I dont have any off the camera lights at all, I was just hoping that the tungsten setting on my camera could help, and adjusting the WB

I still dont understand how to 'bounce' a flash, there seems to be no instructions lol

thanks for all the advice guys :)

In terms of lenses, one of the main lenses I see talked about when doing weddings is a 70-200 f/2.8. The wider end is great for portraits and the longer zoom will be great to get into where you need to be there without actually being there. The picture quality is just amazing.

So if you were to get 1 lens, I would suggest this one. But I ain't a pro :)

Flash bouncing : http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/4-bouncing-flash/

In its very basic description, bouncing the flash means that instead of pointing the flash straight on to someone (like your camera mounted flash), you aim / angle the flash head to point off a surface for it to bounce its light onto the subject.

Point it to the right to bounce off a wall will shed more light on the subjects left side.

Be careful of the colour of the wall, as this can create a colour cast.

Many photographers like to point their flashes at 45 degrees up to bounce of the ceiling (depending on height). This can be good, but its very dependant on the situation,

In terms of lenses, one of the main lenses I see talked about when doing weddings is a 70-200 f/2.8. The wider end is great for portraits and the longer zoom will be great to get into where you need to be there without actually being there. The picture quality is just amazing.

So if you were to get 1 lens, I would suggest this one. But I ain't a pro :)

Thanks, I'll see if I can buy/borrow one for the day :D

Most reactions

Back