Help!SLR.

SLR_GUY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I need a little help on Camera choice here, I'm going to Alaska in June, What SLR would be best for me? I was thinking a Canon Rebel K2 or Ti. Also what Lenses will I need?
Thanks.

You will have to give more info.

What kind of pictures do you want to take?
What is your experience level?
How much do you want to spend?
What do you want to do with the pictures? (4x6 prints, bigger prints? Pics for the web?)

Both the K2 & the Ti are good entry level SLR cameras and both come with usable kit lenses.

Beginner
Uhhh, well I'm going to Alaska so Nature, also I am on My schools yearbook team, so they'll want me to photograph some football games.
anywhere from $100-$350,
Scanned onto cd or printed, they don't have to be so big.
For lenses I was thinking of getting a 75-300mm.

OK...first off, an SLR camera is little better than a regular point & shoot camera if you don't know how to use it. So plan to do some research and learning...it won't be too hard and it's lot of fun.

You could think about getting a used camera. If you go this route I'd suggest going to a camera shop.

Usually the EOS rebels come with something like a 28-90 lens. Usually the cheapest lenses. It would be an all around OK lens but maybe not the best for you. The 75-300 is an OK lens as well. It's a little slow (you can learn what slow means later) but you will probably need at least 300mm for shooting football. Don't be afraid to get a Tamron or Sigma lens to put on a Canon camera, they are good lenses at good prices.

It's almost always helpful to have a nice sharp fast lens. This means you can get better shots in lower light situations without resorting to undesirable on-camera flash. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is one of the best investments and it's the cheapest Canon lens.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest you get two lenses...the 50mm F1.8 (it's a prime lens which means no zoom) and a zoom. The 75-300 or something similar.

If you can't afford another lens with the camera...a standard lens (like the 28-90) should be OK for the trip to Alaska. You will probably need to get some scenery and people shots. This lens might not be the best for shooting football but you can alway get a better lens when the time comes.

Go down to your local camera shop and hold a few different cameras and try out some of the lenses. This will give you a better idea of what you are getting into.

Also...start reading up on basic exposure. Once you learn about aperture, shutter speed, depth of field etc. you will be on your way.

Well I really don't need the 75-300 yet but I found a nice Tamron, I might go with that, or a sigma, same length. But right now I'm more worried about getting the right camera for me. Like you said to go down to the Camera shop and hold a few cameras I did, the Grip of the TI I liked because I am usually shooting for hours on end. My current camera Is a Minolta Maxxum 5000. Yeah, I know old news. I'm just looking for a replacement SLR for it. It must be atleast 10 years old. :cry:

SLR_GUY said:
My current camera Is a Minolta Maxxum 5000. Yeah, I know old news. I'm just looking for a replacement SLR for it. It must be atleast 10 years old. :cry:

I could be wrong but don't the maxxum 5000 outperform the current rebels?

I had one when they first came out, 1986 I think. It wasn't a bad camera at all. I don't remember all of the specs, but it seems it had all of the shooting priorty modes shutter , aperature , manual and so on. I also thought it had a faster shutter speed. I don't remember what the burst rate was as far as frames per second.

I guess my question to you is what can the rebels you mention do that your minolta can't?

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking canon, I shoot one myself

Yeah, the new rebel might focus faster, but that older Maxxum is prolly a better camera. It should have a faster shutter, and alot more options.

[image width=640 height=480]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/736158/IMG_0018.JPG[/image]
Well, I had a 75-300mm lense with it, but I broke it. :oops:
I want the Rebel K2 because:
1.I need a new camera any ways.
2.Since I lost the 75-300mm I'll get a Rebel K2 and then a new lense
3.I can get a battery pack for the K2 which is nice, because I do alot of shooting.
4.I have no idea how to program the Minolta it was my fathers, over time he forgot how to use it. Can anyone who has used it before tell me how to use it? If I learn how to use it I might stick to it.

On a side note I recall looking throught the archives one day and seeing a thread about someone buying the Sigma SA-7.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...images&asin=B0000AJMOK&start_counter=1#images

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...g=UTF8&alt_view=images&asin=B000231ASQ#images
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1328&highlight=sa7

What are you planning on shooting when you are in Alaska? I might be able to help you out, since wel I live here.

Sticking to the road system or you doing some off the path hiking? PM me if I dont reply, cause I tend to forget about threads and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back