help! winter headshots?!

sarabil1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm going to be taking headshots for a couple people this Thursday, and it's the middle of winter so going outside for them isn't exactly an option.

I have two promaster lights with a shoot-through white umbrella and silver lined umbrella. I also have a reflector and two flashes.

I've always had problems trying to use flashes and lights for photoshoots, cause I just can never figure out how to set them to get good shots. I also just recently got a light meter.

If anyone has some helpful hints for my shoot I would greatly appreciate it. Anything from settings to other things like backdrops or any other important part of making it a successful shoot would be awesome. thanks! I hope this all made sense :)

It takes practice, experimentation and looking at lots of lighted images to learn how to use strobed lighting.

It takes a good understanding of the technical ins and outs, too.

Which meter did you get? Do you know how to use it yet?

Start with the main light doing something flattering. Light the background light the hair.

You have all the gear you need. We really can not tell you how to use it with so little information. Post some experiments and we can give you pointers, but ultimately you will have to do the work.

Love & Bass

You can do some amazing things with just one light and a reflector. Or even a large north facing window (if you are in the northern hemisphere) and a reflector. I recommend going to Youtube and type in "studio lighting", a lot of things will come up. I think you need to start one light, and then slowly introduce more lights over time, in order to achieve different looks--but more lights doesn't = better. Many professionals try to shoot with as few as possible.

You can buy mannequin heads online that are made for cosmotology (around $25 for a decent one). I think that could be a good tool for you to practice different lighting set-ups without needing a bored friend stand in for you.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, I might push back the shoot on Thursday. It doesn't benefit anyone if you are unable to meet expectations. Or else practice non-stop until Thursday and get everything locked into place and then just focus on everything else regarding the shoot. Good luck.

As above, start with one light 3/4 and a reflector at 3/4 try moving it about, a second light will do the same as the reflector but with more power, try one light at 3/4 above head height and a reflector infront of them under their faces to reflect a bit of light back at the shadows

Most reactions

Back