Help with banquet shoot

pictureme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If anyone could me out i would apreciate it alot ...;-):thumbup:

I have my sisters wedding next weekend and i have been taking clasess for photagraphy for the past 2 months and i have already bought my camera dlsr D300 NIKON and some lense.I really want to get all my settings on the camera and flash right and use the right lense and flash .Im a beginner so i really dont know much yet but i really want to make this night great for my sisters wedding pictures.Please give me the best advice,help and what exactly i would need to complete that night with great pictures .This is what i have in my collection

Nikon D300 camera

Lense
Nikon...
NIKON SPEEDLIGHT SB-800
AF-S NIKKOR 70-300MM
AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM
AF MICRO NIKKOR 60MM
AF NIKKOR 50MM 1.8D
SIGMA 10-20MM WIDE LENSE
1 tripod

Please help..

Thank you so much

Are you going to be the primary photographer? I hope not. You're not ready. Your not even close to being ready. If you love your sister, and care about her, don'f FOBAR her special day. To do her wedding is for your ego to write checks your skills cannot cover.

At the bear minimum, you should at the very least have assisted 3-5 weddings, and have mastered flashing at least a year ago. The super duper D300 is not going to help you because your skills are not there yet.

Weddings are not a place to practice. Yes, you have to start someplace, but a real wedding is not that place. See about assisting a pro or amatuer that has shot many weddings first.

Don't be a fool...it's her most important day, and there are no 2nd chances.

Thanks for your advice... but i think you got me all wrong here ...All i need is the best advice on how to get teh right settings .I have capture alot of flicks for the past 3 years with nikon d60 d80 etc.... im not new to taking pictures .All im asking is for settings and what would you recomend .I dont need any bashing etc... if you could help ill apreciate it ...Im not here to sale my sisters wedding pictures or trying to be a pro .....Its a small wedding,nothing big .Thank you

Thanks for your advice... but i think you got me all wrong here ...All i need is the best advice on how to get teh right settings .I have capture alot of flicks for the past 3 years with nikon d60

Wow... ;)

Anyway, if you've been shooting for three years with Nikon DSLR's and have that much experience behind you, why is the D300 confusing you? I don't understand why you talk of it like a completely different camera system which takes completely different settings to get great shots with. Sure, it's a big step up from the D60/80 and doesn't hold your hand as much but in principle it's still a Nikon DSLR and with 3 years under your belt in this camera system, I don't see the problem. You really should know this stuff after this many years.

Its a small wedding,nothing big

It's still a wedding, and your sisters for Christs sake! Do her a favour and hire out a professional primary shooter that you've seen the work of and like the portfolio, and take pics yourself as a backup. That way, if you screw up, at least you'll have some acceptable quality shots from such a special event.

yea, i will chime in here as someone who does a lot of weddings.

first of all, in checking some of your other posts, you deffinatley dont know enough about photography to do a wedding.. just 2 weeks ago you posted a message saying you were a photography NEWBIE..(http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140813) you also ask questions like "will the nifty 50 fit on my camera" if you dont know that a nikkor lens fits on any nikon, your NOT ready to do a wedding. and in numerous threads you continue to ask the question of "what settings should I use" RUN AWAY, dont do this wedding, your not ready.

you yourself have said something terrible which would make me run the other way "i have taken a lot of FLICKS over the past 3 years" my friend, FLICKS and snapshots are NOT ACCECPTABLE at a wedding... people pay thousands of dollars to have quality photos taken at weddings... just because you have a d300 doesnt mean your going to be able to do this...

you've also said "i'm a beginner" in your first post.. and a beginner should NOT be doing a wedding, whether its for a sister or not... its still the most important day of her life, and if the pictures end up being crap, it can kill yours and her relationship unfortunatley.

In your second post you say "All i need is the best advice on how to get teh right settings" pretty sure this is the basics, and if you know anything about photography, which you state that you do, you would know that we cannot tell you what settings to use, because we dont know what is going on, we dont know the lighting or anything like that... ALSO if you know photography, as you say you do, you would know your settings, and if you dont know how to set your camera, your NOT ready to shoot a wedding.

i would not do the wedding if I was you, its easy to say "well then my sister wont have any pictures" but if you didnt own a camera, what would she do for photos? I shoot weddings all the time, and to be honest, I dont think I would shoot my sisters wedding, its her special day, and as her sibling, you should be sharing that day with her, not from behind a camera.

do you have a flickr account, i'd like to see your pics that make you think your ready to do a wedding

Last edited:
Instead of bashing you and saying don't do it. I will lend a little advice. It is more than likely too late for your sister to get a full time pro to do the wedding (and cost may be an issue, that is a very big point for alot of people who don't hire pros for their weddings). So everyone saying don't do it, is really giving bad advice. Just a couple good pictures is better than no pictures at all!!! Truth is you are most likely very unprepared, but again, things have already been set into motion that can't be stopped.

First advice is don't play with the settings on the camera. Use auto mode (camera and flash). The only exception is maybe use aperature priority mode if you feel you have enough understanding of its use. If you really don't have a full grasp of it. Use full auto, you will get alot more pictures that come out. Nikon has worked a long time to perfect auto settings and such for their camera's. Although they are not perfect in reality, they will be better than just plain old experimenting / fumbling with the dials.

Second advice is to practice with your flash right now in your house using bounce techniques. Pictures from straight on flash will look very dissapointing.

3rd don't expect to be able to take pictures like a pro. Obviously this is not going to happen. It takes alot of practice! The biggest help you can do right now with the camera in full auto is to learn your flash as best as possible. You will get better pictures in full auto and basic flash techniques other than taking straight head on flash shots!

4th - if you can go to the facilities where you will be taking pics. Most likely if its a church and function hall it should be empty some time during the day. Have a couple people go with you and practice taking pictures of them. Don't be embarassed, they can only say no, or ask you to leave (church / hall). But I bet knowing your sister has rented the facility you can get in. If the reception is at a hall, don't turn all the lights on. Usueally the lights are set lower for more intimate settings. You want to simulate the actual settings as much as possible.

5th - Go practice some more. If you have to, get other volunteers to help you out as practice models. Seriously do this as much as you can spend time on. If you can, take a laptop and view pictures right there on a big screen.

6th - Go practice even more. Lighting is very important (learing to use flash other than just straight on). Like I said earlier, learn to use the bounce function. Again, don't be embarassed by asking to practice. If you can't learn to ask others for practice, your going to have problems getting people to cooperate when your doing it for real!!!

7th - rehersal and rehersal dinner. Use this time to get in practice!!! Treat it as the real thing.

8th - make 2 check lists for the wedding day. First one for equipment. What you want to take. Have check offs for empty memory cards, fully charged batteries. Spare batteries. Second list is to make a play book of pictures you want. Actually print out pictures you want to emulate when your taking the pictures (ceremony). Put them in a convient order (bride and groom pics, then wedding party pics, bride/ groom / parents, etc...). Keep it in order, so your not wasting time and asking people to come in and leave the scene all the time. And use them as a play book. You will have so much going on, you will forget to take shots you wanted to take!! So the play book is a way of remembering.

9th - Don't go below 50 mm or so on a lens when taking pics close to people (close ups with wide angle lenses distort things like noses when used close in). The sweet range for d300 will be in the 50-70 mm range for more flattering type images (portrait type pics). If you are taking pics during the ceremony do not get too close into the procedings. Use your bigger lens so you can stand back some. And if your taking pics during the ceremony, propper dress. Careful of where your going. You don't want to trip and fall, and make an unplesant scene (big no no).

10 - go practice some more. :mrgreen:

12 - at the reception focus on the bride and groom (its their day). Add some shots of wedding party, and parents. But mostly of the happy couple. Another thing is don't forget to keep yourself hydrated with water or soda. You may be so into the picture taking you will forget.

Don't get dissapointed if you don't get all your pictures to come out the way you were hoping (or even 1/2 or 1/4). It takes practice / experience!

I hope things go well for you and your sister.

Last edited:
Why are you people so "wedding beginner" frezny.
I mean give the kid a break. Have any of you considered that maybe his sister insisted so that he shoots the wedding?

Every thread i see when someone asks for some tips and tricks to shoot a wedding you jump around yelling "You are not ready" "You are going to ruin the wedding", and so on.
STOP IT!!!

Everyone it trying to look like an expert you need to shoot 5-6-20 weddings to be ready, bull****. I have a friend which is an amazing graphics designer, he bought a camera, he played with it a few months, and was asked to go to a wedding, the photos were amazing, i could compare easily with some local experts that were shooting wedding for years.

So stop discouraging people, let them try on their own skin. They didn't asked you if they are ready, they only asked you for some help, and the forum it's about this.

The only thing you master over the time on a wedding is making quick adjustments to flash, and know how to pose the bride and groom, and be aware of your environment to take full advantage of it.

Some advice from is, if you already know how to take photos with your camera, and know how shutter speed works and aperture, try playing some more with the flash, see what is better and what's not. Take the control of the situation and don't be nervous.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for your advice... but i think you got me all wrong here ...

Not likely... but do a search here, you will see what he meant and you may get an answer to your needs, but I kinda doubt it. :)

I mean give the kid a break. Have any of you considered that maybe his sister insisted so that he shoots the wedding?

Every thread i see when someone asks for some tips and tricks to shoot a wedding you jump around yelling "You are not ready" "You are going to ruin the wedding", and so on.
STOP IT!!!

No.

I think that the needs of the bride and groom on a day that shall NEVER be repeated and is of such MAJOR IMPORTANCE that it is MORE important than any beginner's need to play "pro photographer". This is not the time or place to learn. There is too much at stake, too much that will be lost and the only people that are doing the loosing are the ones that DO NOT deserve it.

As a second photographer, sure do what you want, if you are uncle bob, go right ahead, click away.... but for God's sake, holding a camera part time, not even knowing how a flash works, much less how lighting or his camera works is just not someone that should be doing a wedding as the main photographer, the bride and groom deserve better. Anyone that cares about the couple's day and not their own ego will be fast to politely refuse to do it and suggest that they hire a seasoned professional... they deserve nothing less.

You "have a friend" that took amazing pics... compared to whom? A seasoned professional? The 13-year old down the street? Based on that comment I would say your levels of acceptance are likely far lower than what the bride and groom deserved. I hope they weren't made to pay for it on top of that insult.

I'll stop here, but I think the point has been made.

Because they know the heartbreak that could follow from having the job botched.

Anyone who is competent to shoot a wedding will not need to come here to ask questions of a photographic nature.

To shoot 'once only' events you need to have the expertise to get it right every single time.

You should certainly have shot several weddings as 'backup' photographer and gained 100% confidence in your ability to produce an at least acceptable set of shots.

Someone who cannot spell lens and makes a comment such as: "I really want to get all my settings on the camera and flash right and use the right lense and flash" implying that he doesn't already know exactly how to set the camera and select the lens, is heading for a major fall.

Certainly it's possible for someone with inadequate experience to get lucky and get a great set of shots but you need to be able to do it every time.

Encouraging some with so little experience to go ahead as prime photographer on a wedding shoot is the photographic equivalent of encouraging someone to try and fly a real aeroplane on the basis that they can do a circuit on the Microsoft flight simulator!

No.

I think that the needs of the bride and groom on a day that shall NEVER be repeated and is of such MAJOR IMPORTANCE that it is MORE important than any beginner's need to play "pro photographer". This is not the time or place to learn. There is too much at stake, too much that will be lost and the only people that are doing the loosing are the ones that DO NOT deserve it.

As a second photographer, sure do what you want, if you are uncle bob, go right ahead, click away.... but for God's sake, holding a camera part time, not even knowing how a flash works, much less how lighting or his camera works is just not someone that should be doing a wedding as the main photographer, the bride and groom deserve better. Anyone that cares about the couple's day and not their own ego will be fast to politely refuse to do it and suggest that they hire a seasoned professional... they deserve nothing less.

You "have a friend" that took amazing pics... compared to whom? A seasoned professional? The 13-year old down the street? Based on that comment I would say your levels of acceptance are likely far lower than what the bride and groom deserved. I hope they weren't made to pay for it on top of that insult.

I'll stop here, but I think the point has been made.

As i stated... as long as the bride and groom wants it then that is that. They deserve what they choose.
I was trying to point out the aggressive stance taken by most of professional photographers.
For example after i said what i said you cannot perceive such an abnormal thing: "a dude with a month experience taking cool photos", and you immediately turn around and say that maybe it's something wrong with me that i can't have a critic eye or something, or went even more to the man i compared to and saying that it's "a 13 year old" or an incapable photographer which i have stated that he shoots for more years then my age.

So PLEASE tell me why all reluctance against beginners who in some part are forced to shoot this kind of events?

With one thing i agree with you though, the bride and groom must be aware of the exact level of you knowledge and capabilities, an that they should be made aware of the possibility of investing an higher amount of money for hiring a professional photographer.

Oh and so that you know not everyone can afford a PRO. In every industry its a level of performance for the price. That's why there is Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Opel, Renault,.... , pro photographers and "not that pro" photographers. Everything for a level of investment.

P.S. Don't act like they (beginners) are taking the bread from under your nose.
In photography creativity it's way more important than experience. Maybe that's why some people take cool shots with little experience.

I deeply apologize if you felt insulted, but i feel insulted by people who instead of wasting a little time helping they are wasting time for throwing insults.

Ohh and Jerry it's not about you, you were very helpful in a lot of threads. I only hope you understand what i am trying to say.

Last edited:
Certainly it's possible for someone with inadequate experience to get lucky and get a great set of shots but you need to be able to do it every time.

Yes you are right about it. But even that, is it hard to explain gently?

I noticed in a lot of threads that mean attitude. That is what bothers me. I even made a thread where i had some problems at a wedding where i was a BACKUP photographer, and still i was treated with hostility

Lastly i want to say that i am not defending people who obviously don't know very much about photography. I am defending people who try to learn and the sole purpose of this forum, from which i have learned a lot.

I noticed in a lot of threads that mean attitude. That is what bothers me. I even made a thread where i had some problems at a wedding where i was a BACKUP photographer, and still i was treated with hostility

I know what you mean (which is why I didn't actually join in suggesting to this poster that he might reconsider).

Some people seem to take a delight in knocking people back. Even if they are correct in their assements their approach can be reprehensible. It isn't just photography where this happens, of course, and thank goodness there are plenty of people around who will respond in a friendly and helpful manner.

Unfortunately I think the friendly/helpful people are sometimes intimidated if the bullies (or those just having an off day) get in first.

my guess for Ben and all the others who are saying do this wedding is that you've never had a "professional photographer" screw up important pictures for you.

Yes, it is true, sometimes beginners get luckly.. thats a given. But when you come here and tell me that you don't even know how to use the settings on your camera, and that your doing a wedding NEXT WEEKEND, to me, thats stupid, and I dont see why you guys cant agree to this... the OP straight out admitted that he doesnt know what settings to use.. someone going into a wedding needs to know these settings, otherwise, they will fumble around and loose lots of pictures.. its a given.

someone made of the point of "maybe his sister requested he did it" obviously she did.. and the problem with this is, people see a fancy camera, and they assume you know what your doing. 9 times out of 10 people go out and get those fancy cameras for the simple fact that they want to look professional, when in fact they arent, and that image is put on them, and people then do foolish things like say "can you shoot my wedding" then they get crappy pics and say "but you look like you know what your doing" I can look like I know what I'm doing at anything, man I'm good at "faking it till i make it" but I dont think weddings are the place to do that... theres o much at stake... you cant go back in a week after looking at your photos and saying "oh, btw, I suck, can we try those pictures again" it doesnt work that way with weddings... even with portrait photography you cant do that... its just not right.

the reason why we are so against noobs doing weddings AS THE MAIN PHOTOGRAPHER is because they are noobs... if you cant look at a situation and know what you should be doing with your camera, you shouldnt be shooting... if you have to shoot on AUTO mode you shouldnt be shooting, because 9 times out of 10, thats going to RUIN a photo.

I can't tell you how many weddings I shot as the second photographer before I finally got the courage to do one as the main guy... I was just far to afraid to piss of a bride and groom... and even when I felt I was ready to be the main guy, I STILL brought a photographer friend along to be my second, JUST IN CASE...

Anyways, I think this thread is rediclous, I cant believe there are people encouraging thing type of work... half assed, "take the pictures for me" type of photography.. its sad, and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking its ok. yes wedding photography is expensive, but it can be decently priced to.. where I live, wedding packages run from around 500-5000 dollars, and you know what the 500 is good, you just dont get pictures of the whole day... I'm sure most photographers have packages where you can "just have the ceremony" or whatever,

Most reactions

Back