Help with banquet shoot

Anyways, I think this thread is rediclous, I cant believe there are people encouraging thing type of work... half assed, "take the pictures for me" type of photography.. its sad, and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking its ok. yes wedding photography is expensive, but it can be decently priced to.. where I live, wedding packages run from around 500-5000 dollars, and you know what the 500 is good, you just dont get pictures of the whole day... I'm sure most photographers have packages where you can "just have the ceremony" or whatever,

And i agree with you.

I wasn't defending him, i was defending the whole concept of helping. Consider this as the last drop from me and i wanted to take attitude against it.

As a side note, here in Romania, the prices for photography only starts at 150$ :)) Photo + video starts at 250-300$ :)

P.S. Don't act like they (beginners) are taking the bread from under your nose.
In photography creativity it's way more important than experience. Maybe that's why some people take cool shots with little experience.

Oof. That combined with a whole assload of luck. :lol:

I've seen a lot of these threads, and I agree that we tend to jump all over people way too much, but I also agree that weddings aren't something that should be toyed with lightly.

Given that in most of these cases it appears that the photog in question is in a situation where the person asking them to do this really either cannot afford a "pro", or is somehow or another in a situaition where "this is just going to happen no matter what we say", I think very much that the right approach from the rest of us would be similar to what ben has done...

1. Strong word of caution.
2. Good solid advice to be used when you have to go do the shoot anyway.

That being said, statements like "creativity is more important than experience" isn't really going to do anyone any good. It's a highly subjective statement, and somewhat suspect. Another example is something like "It's the photographer, not the camera!", or "my buddy the graphic designer did an amazing job with his first wedding!"

I know folks doing this are probably trying to bolster the OP's confidence, and that's nice of you, but OP should go into this with no misconceptions. What they're going to do is very important and quite challenging. Filling them with platitudes is more likely to make them lackadaisical than anything.

That being said, statements like "creativity is more important than experience" isn't really going to do anyone any good. It's a highly subjective statement, and somewhat suspect. Another example is something like "It's the photographer, not the camera!", or "my buddy the graphic designer did an amazing job with his first wedding!"

True, it's not doing any good. But the most part is creativity and usually you need practice to gain creativity, but not always.

The part with the friend, is true like hell, and i can only explain that he has creativity. I will talk to him to post some photos and you will see that those cannot be photos from a beginner with a couple of months as photography experience.

Anyway everyone has different ideas about how photography can evolve in someone, but bottom line is that people should be more forgiving and less aggressive.

I apologize in front of the people who felt insulted by this, and maybe didn't understand what i meant by this, but this conversation starts to be time and energy consuming for me and for rest of you without any productivity.

^^^ I don't deny your buddy was successful with his pictures in that way. I have a friend who is a GD who always annoys me with his amazing compositions in photography. There is more to that story, but it doesn't help OP so I'll keep my yap shut. :lol:

First off I read their question wrong. The question was based on the Banquet not ceremony. So maybe we all jumped off the edge a little too quick and assumed he was doing the ceremony too.

Next, I think a few individuals are forgeting one inportant factor that is affecting most everyone right now. And thats economy. The fact is maybe the sister cannot afford a pro. Or maybe in this case just a pro for ceremony and not reception? My opinion was either they could not afford one, or could not schedule one. What upsets me is people saying don't do it. You will take horriable pictures and your sister will be upset. The fact is, would it be better to have no pictures at all, or at least a few picutures? I would wager everyone would pick having at least a couple vs. none!! Especially since everyone agrees its such an important event in ones life.

I also take note that someone mentioned above. That a pro needs to be able to take good pictures every time. I don't know anyone that takes a good picture every time!! And if I run into someone that claims they do. I will politely excuse myself from the area, as I have a negative opinion of people that make such statements and do not wish to be around them.

^^^ way to go, you said the same thing the other people are in favor of this said.. congrats on being an echo.... waste of time

Wow! Someones a little cranky!

Last edited:
I am sorry I FORCED you to read my comments. And I FORCED you to waste your time responding.

The fact still remains the same. Anyone would want a couple good pictures over NO pictures!!! You keep forcing "YOUR" opinion that a "REAL" pro needs to be hired to "SAVE" the day. When you have no clue if they can even afford $100 to spend. Or even if a "Pro" is available on such short notice!

I never defended nor suggested the person in question should do this on a continuing basis. The facts are that the ball is set in motion and damage control needs to be done. Trying to make the most of a bad situation!

And right now the only choice is for a complete amature to do the pictures! How can an amature taking pictures of a reception be worse than no pictures at all??? Going by your logic his sister will be happier with no pictures at all, then maybe having snapshot grade pictures!

And for information. I spent 4 months looking for a "pro" for my wedding. I had a list of 10 I considered to be very good. The first 2 were not available when I finaly made my choice. So I hired the 3rd. I was completely dissatisfied with his pictures. He had great portfolio, and great online samples. But the fact is, less than 20% of his pictures were technically correct. I hired a "pro" you are suggesting, and still got bad service. Just like any job, people have bad days. Maybe he was having equipment issues, I don't know ( I did not ask for any money back, I just made no orders of pictures). The fact is I paid premium price for his services and was completely dissatisfied. There are 0 guarantees that if they did find a pro on short notice, that person has skill to be good or not.

And as for your statement that anyone shooting in auto mode is going to ruin a picture 9 out of 10 times is just ignorance or elitist attitude on your part. You are saying that 90% of the time the cameras computers and settings developed over several decades by a dozen manufacturers are wrong! Your flat out stating Nikon and Canon have no clue what they are doing, their cameras can produce a good picture less than 10% of the time!

I just happen to have more confidence that a novice photographer using a camera in full auto has a better chance of taking some decent pictures. Than no one taking pictures at all!!!

If I have insulted anyone, I appoligize. But the fact is advice is being given to just give up. Don't even try. My train of thought for this entire subject is, a pure novice cannot be possibly worse than no photographer at all!

sorry, but from my experience auto mode SUCKS, so maybe I am saying that nikon and canon failed on that.. anyways, i'm done on this one.. no point in arguing with someone..

I will like to thank all who gave me the tips i needed.Second i will like to ask all the negative grumpy people IS THIS YOUR WEDDING ? ok then dont worrie about what i shoot or how it comes out ,its my sister and she wants me there.The last time i checked this site was about photography not talking down on people or bashing because you know more then i do ....If you think im doing something wrong then there is a way to say it but at the same time give the advice needed if you cant then dont bother.chrisburke , you actually went so low to go and look for other post of mine lol lol that is so funny ,to me seems like you just trying to bash and get some point accross,for you and the others who jump into the band wagon ..you are a sorry laime as person (get lost)regardless of who or what they know you shouldnt put anyone down ...you started somewhere so am i ....this site has left a bad tatse in my mouth NEGATIVITY ALL around this site (sad) come at me right or dont come at all .Againg ,thank you all who help me out here ,i apreciate the help and wish there was more people like this in this world .

I will like to thank all who gave me the tips i needed.Second i will like to ask all the negative grumpy people IS THIS YOUR WEDDING ? ok then dont worrie about what i shoot or how it comes out ,its my sister and she wants me there.The last time i checked this site was about photography not talking down on people or bashing because you know more then i do ....If you think im doing something wrong then there is a way to say it but at the same time give the advice needed if you cant then dont bother

Don't get discouraged with adverse advice from others. Even though in this situation I disagreed with several in this post. They are giving advice based on many situations in the past that were disasters. Be it happend to them or just something they heard about. And its always good to hear both sides of the fence.

So don't get discouraged with this site. Just like in everything in life there is always 2 sides to the story. And there will be times where the answer will not be what your looking or hoping for. So, try not to take any comments personal.

Don't get discouraged with adverse advice from others. Even though in this situation I disagreed with several in this post. They are giving advice based on many situations in the past that were disasters. Be it happend to them or just something they heard about. And its always good to hear both sides of the fence.

So don't get discouraged with this site. Just like in everything in life there is always 2 sides to the story. And there will be times where the answer will not be what your looking or hoping for. So, try not to take any comments personal.
:thumbsup:True..

yea, i wasnt trying to knock on you, i just dont think what your doing is right, and its not cause I think you suck, its because of former experiences that were just bad, I don't want others to have to go through some of the things i've been through... i wasnt trying to be a dick, I promise... and the other people who advised you the same advice I gave, and I garentee they were thinking the same way... obviosuly people have to start somewhere.. theres just a good place to start, and a not so good place to start... some one us feel weddings are not the place to start, BUT if your comfortable with it, givver shivver and make sure you post the pics when your done.

Anyways, I think this thread is rediclous, I cant believe there are people encouraging thing type of work... half assed, "take the pictures for me" type of photography.. its sad, and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking its ok. yes wedding photography is expensive, but it can be decently priced to.. where I live, wedding packages run from around 500-5000 dollars, and you know what the 500 is good, you just dont get pictures of the whole day... I'm sure most photographers have packages where you can "just have the ceremony" or whatever,

He's really right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back