Help with buying my first lenses

canontb81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to buy a D7000 (body), and am looking to buy two lenses that will cover all my bases.

This is my first DSLR, but I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife, landscape/scenery, architecture, and people as well (indoor shots as well). I spent a lot of time narrowing down the list of Nikon lenses I am interested in and I would appreciate any advice. I am thinking of spending max $800 on two lenses - unless someone can convince me of going with just 1 expensive lens.

These lenses are listed from most expensive to least expensive.

AF-S DX 16-85mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR II - I read great things about this standard zoom lens and it is the top end of my budget for a lens

AF 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D IF ED - The only wide angle zoom lens in my budget, but I haven't been convinced by the reviews

AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF ED VR II - Read great things about this high power zoom and I think it would be perfect for outdoor wildlife pictures

AF 85mm f1.8D - The main reason for listing this telephoto is that I read that it's an amazing lens for the price

AF 50mm f1.4D - It looks like an awesome lens and read good things

AF-S DX 18-105mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR - This is the lens that comes with the D7000 kit a decent and versatile walk around lens

AF-S DX 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF ED VR
- I read that this is a great lens for the price, but not as good as the 70-300mm

AF 28mm f2.8D - Ok lens for the price, but does have vignetting and distortion as problems

AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G - Apart from the chromatic aberration that is mentioned, it seems to have positive reviews

AF 50mm f1.8D - Very high praise for this inexpensive lens.

I'm new to this forum but I noticed many knowledgeable people post here, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife, landscape/scenery, architecture, and people as well (indoor shots as well).

That covers almost everything but Macro! lol

For landscape and architecture, I would recommend one thats not on your list, the Tokina 11-16 2.8. On the crop body, I dont know that you're going to get the FOV you would like with 18mm and I think the 11-16 2.8 is an excellent candidate to cover your landscapes, cityscapes, and architectural shots (both indoors and out). That will set you back the majority of your budget. If you're stuck on that budget, you could also pick up the used 18-105 for ~200 and be pretty close. You can take shots of people and everything in between with it just fine but wildlife might give you some issues since these types of photos usually require longer focal lengths.

You could also opt to save some money on the body by buying a lightly used D90 and get better glass.

Just curious if you're yanking our chain? Your first post with the username of canontb81 asking about purchasing a Nikon. It seems odd for some reason. No offence intended.

Just curious if you're yanking our chain? Your first post with the username of canontb81 asking about purchasing a Nikon. It seems odd for some reason. No offence intended.

Oh yah....that is a coincidence :) That name stands for where I was born.

Anyway...thanks for the advice so far.

I am a bit surprised that nobody is suggesting I get a prime lens. Also, how good is the 15-105 for wide angle scenery shots?

Get a cheaper body and better lenses (e.g. already mentioned used D90), not the other way around... Bodies come and go, it's the lens that matters ;)

+1 for the 18-105mm. its a great lens to start with and the zoom range it offers is good

I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife, landscape/scenery, architecture, and people as well (indoor shots as well).

That covers almost everything but Macro! lol

For landscape and architecture, I would recommend one thats not on your list, the Tokina 11-16 2.8. On the crop body, I dont know that you're going to get the FOV you would like with 18mm and I think the 11-16 2.8 is an excellent candidate to cover your landscapes, cityscapes, and architectural shots (both indoors and out). That will set you back the majority of your budget. If you're stuck on that budget, you could also pick up the used 18-105 for ~200 and be pretty close. You can take shots of people and everything in between with it just fine but wildlife might give you some issues since these types of photos usually require longer focal lengths.

You could also opt to save some money on the body by buying a lightly used D90 and get better glass.

I am able to get about a 25% discount on Nikon products. I read about the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and it looks great. For about the same amount of money (a bit less) I could get the AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5-4.5G ED. How would you say the two lenses compare?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back