Help with crop, rules of thirds

VooDoo_Banjo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
uY9t4s7v0lYRNhpv5xfWNQ
So, im learning post production using PS cs5 and Lightroom3. I know what I want the photo to look like but learning the tool to get it to do what I want is another thing... just going to take practice... however... I need other sets of eyes to check how its going so far. On this photo, what can I do to achieve a more stunning effect of what is obviously the centerpiece of the image captured.

I take very constructive criticism well, but don't be nasty and as I have seen in other threads... telling me to scram and come back later is not acceptable. Some of us are here for help and can only get better by advice from our peers and those of you who have been doing this for years. I have seen stunning photos and look up to ya! Want to learn from the best... not be told to take my ball and go home.

1stGame
uY9t4s7v0lYRNhpv5xfWNQ
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uY9t4s7v0lYRNhpv5xfWNQ?feat=directlink

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I will provide link until I figure this out. Perhaps its Picasa?

the poor guy in the brown hoodie looks like he's not having much fun. as for the photo, it seems the left 1/3 seems pretty uneventful, nothing of interest there. i see what you are going for by centering the action in the middle, but what was happening off to the right? if it's the action you want, crop it so they make the photo. if you want things around it, look for something that is interesting, and which might lead the eye back to the action. besides that, it was shot on a cloudy day, so you can maybe pp making the image pop a bit more in colors. nice shot. i still feel for the kid in the brown hoodie...

Jay, Thanks so much for the input! That picture was one of those where I was following the action int he viewfinder and just snapped it so i didnt have time to "set up the shot" so-to-speak. I guess im not that good yet with action shots.... I knew the goal was coming so I set the camera about .5 seconds ahead of the action and anticipated it coming which i think is why there is nothing in the left part. I will cut that out. As far as your comment about a cloudy day, with PP what do you advise I can do... ive done a little pp by upping the greens a bit as you can tell... anything else would be wonderful. Im still training my eyes to catch things.

On this photo, what can I do to achieve a more stunning effect of what is obviously the centerpiece of the image captured.

Thanks in advance!
Not much. It was overcast, and there are no shadows to help give the photo a sense of depth.

That can be helped somewhat with some dodging and burning in the photo along with a Curves adjustment and some adjustment of the mid-tone contrast.

You don't allow your photos to be editied, so no one can show you examples using your photos of any editing techniques they may suggest to you.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html

Jay, Thanks so much for the input! That picture was one of those where I was following the action int he viewfinder and just snapped it so i didnt have time to "set up the shot" so-to-speak. I guess im not that good yet with action shots.... I knew the goal was coming so I set the camera about .5 seconds ahead of the action and anticipated it coming which i think is why there is nothing in the left part. I will cut that out. As far as your comment about a cloudy day, with PP what do you advise I can do... ive done a little pp by upping the greens a bit as you can tell... anything else would be wonderful. Im still training my eyes to catch things.

Keith covered anything i could add to PP. If you allow your shots to be edited, you will see from some amazing people here what can be done with a little experience, and offer a different perspective on the shot. With action shots the best advice i can give is always be ready. keep the camera up and ready to shoot. in fact shoot everything, then later you will no doubt find some amazing things you didn't know you had. it's digital, not film so the opportunities are as big as your card!

*edit: always carry a few extra cards.

I changed permissions.... Be my guest on editing photos... just let me know what ya did so i can see... to bad cant attach the .psd. :(

just an example. to me this is the action shot. the kick, the ball, the expressions.
i added some color, a little noise reduction since i cropped and warmed it up a bit.
5564472333_f249bda7d9_z.jpg

*edited by jay for VooDoo_Banjo

to bad cant attach the .psd. :(
You can only attach images if you become a paying member. I post photos that are hosted on Flickr and Photobucket all the time using the information in the link I provided you. That will work with photos hosted by Picasa too.

I changed permissions.... Be my guest on editing photos... just let me know what ya did so i can see... to bad cant attach the .psd. :(
You can only attach images if you become a paying member.
I post photos that are hosted on Flickr and Photobucket all the time using the information in the link I provided you. That will work with photos hosted by Picasa too.

Same here, my photos are hosted on Flickr.

Here is my attempt at cropping and adding a bit more color...

a%3E

Attachments

• $Score4_4.jpg
    $Score4_4.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
And please forgive me while i adjust to the attachment/linking of images.... Thank you for the tutorial link!

To show how serious I am about this, i became a contributing member of this site.... I support it 100% and all of its members. Thank you guys so much for your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back